Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Lil’ Gun loads for .32-20? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HollicaSnooze
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 17 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote HollicaSnooze

I really like this powder, does anyone have data that takes performance beyond 16,000 psi chamber pressure? In a strong gun like a 5-shot Freedom Arms, 30,000 psi or slightly less would be plenty reasonable and safe.

Have shot some "warmish" H-110 loads that Brian Pearce wrote up in Rifle, but really like Lil' Gun over H-110...
Back to Top View HollicaSnooze's Profile Search for other posts by HollicaSnooze

stuffit

Posted: April 17 2006 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote stuffit

Are you shooting a FA in 32-20? Your mention of it seemed,..... well...... hypothetical. Just curious.

stuffit

lovesrugers

Posted: April 17 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Do you have a Speer 13 handy. It has some high pressure loads suitable for strong action rifles and the Ruger Blackhawk. Unfortunatly it does not have any Lil gun data but it does have some H110 data. It also has some data only for use in the TC contender that is even hotter, but also uses .308 dia bullets instead.

Jerry
Back to Top View lovesrugers's Profile Search for other posts by lovesrugers

HollicaSnooze
Newcomer

Posted: April 17 2006 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote HollicaSnooze

Hypothetical in the sense that I have yet to shoot it, but it's arrival will be soon .

Have a Marlin 1894 CCL in .32-20, and have run some 13.5 gr. loads of H-110 thru it, these are under 30,000 psi. Quite nice!

Would really like to work up some Lil' Gun loads, I am fond of the powder vs. H-110.

I suppose one could carefully start with the Lil' Gun loads published and move forward from there.....
Back to Top View HollicaSnooze's Profile Search for other posts by HollicaSnooze

stuffit

Posted: April 17 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote stuffit

HollicaSnooze,
I reckon I kinda forgot myself at first. Welcome to the forum. I get a bit excited when a new FA shooter appears on the scene. JohnK, the director/owner/moderator/whatever of this forum is the also the resident expert on L'il Gun and gave me some help when trying to start out using it with my .44 Mag and had no data. But here's a couple of loads I found on line from Hogdon's data base, I think.
Bullet Wt. 85 grs. Charge 7 grs Lil'Gun
for pistols Mvl - 1102fps in a 5.5" barrel for 15,700 CUP
OAL 1.550   KE 220 fps

and.....
100gr bullet   Lil'Gun - 7.5 grs for pistols; MVL 1018fps in a 5.5" barrel for 15,700 CUP; OAL 1.580; KE - 230 fps

I realize your plan for loads with a bit more uumph than these but at least they will give you a pressure base line with the powder.   I use it in the .22 K Hornet too and like it a lot.   Have fun with your new FA

stuffit

lovesrugers

Posted: April 17 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Yep, that is what I would do. From what I can tell the max for Lil gun loads in most cartridges is very close to if not the same as H110 loads, until you go with heavy for caliber bullets. What I would do is get a chrony and shoot some H110 loads over it. Then use Lil gun and work up your powder charge till you are close to the same velocity as the H110 loads. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. It is a great place to hang out, and learn something new.

Jerry   
Back to Top View lovesrugers's Profile Search for other posts by lovesrugers

HollicaSnooze
Newcomer

Posted: April 17 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote HollicaSnooze

Thanks, guys, that represents a very sensible, prudent approach. I simply want to find safe, warm loads that are well within design pressures, nothing outlandish. Studying much of the Lil' Gun data for various calibers, it seems to, in general, produce lower pressures but higher velocities relative to other slow-burning, magnum powders.

I have employed the Lil' Gun loads in Knutson's article for my FA .44 Special with great success, simply wanted to do the same with the .32-20.

Thanks for the information and the warm welcome.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version