Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: 7.62x39 Cast Bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lt 401
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 19 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Lt 401

I agree with CBRick. Your beginning loads were too hot, and your cases probably aren't uniform in length. Trim them. Its easy to do. I use the cheap Lee Trimmers, and they work great. A Dillon makes perfectly good ammo, but you just can't crank out bottle necked rifle cartridges as quickly and easily as you can straight-walled pistol ones. For a quality, uniform cast bullet rifle cartridge, its hard to beat the old one at a time process, but you can still use the Dillon if you take the time out to trim each case after you resize it. I know its old-fashioned, but I still measure AND weigh each charge, so I know that everything is safe and correct. I don't mind, because I enjoy loading almost as much as I do shooting.
So, trim your cases, then make up a whole series of test loads starting light, only hot enough to cycle the action, and go up from there. Most of my best loads only reach 1,400-1,700 fps. I'm certain you'll find some loads that shoot well for you. Each time you run into a glitch, come back here and tell us about it, and lots of the experienced loaders here will help you. We all have been beginners, and we all have benefitted from others. As for myself, I've been a guest here for a long long time, and even though I've loaded for many years, I was hesitant to write anything myself because I was impressed with the expertise I saw here. What could I possibly add? But, I saw your post and thought that here's one guy I could help. Just don't give up yet. There's too much fun to be had in the learning process.
Back to Top View Lt 401's Profile Search for other posts by Lt 401

davemarse

Posted: September 19 2006 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote davemarse

Sounds great, thanks for the help.
Back to Top View davemarse's Profile Search for other posts by davemarse

yodar
Newcomer

Posted: September 23 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote yodar

drinks wrote:
Lee has 2 purpose designed molds for the 7.62x39, a 155gr 2R and a 160gr 2R with tumble lube grooves.
I have the 160gr and use it in 7.62x54R, .303 Savage and .308.
I have had good results up to 2400fps with water dropped wheel weights.

I use the Lee 155 .311-2R and am very pleased with it.

I couldnt hit paper with the Lyman .311411

I will use IT for my .30 carbine

I use AA 2230 or AA data 2200 about 26.5 gr

Yodar
Back to Top View yodar's Profile Search for other posts by yodar

Leftoverdj

Posted: September 24 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

yodar wrote:
drinks wrote:
Lee has 2 purpose designed molds for the 7.62x39, a 155gr 2R and a 160gr 2R with tumble lube grooves.
I have the 160gr and use it in 7.62x54R, .303 Savage and .308.
I have had good results up to 2400fps with water dropped wheel weights.

I use the Lee 155 .311-2R and am very pleased with it.

I couldnt hit paper with the Lyman .311411

I will use IT for my .30 carbine

I use AA 2230 or AA data 2200 about 26.5 gr

Yodar

I don't think you can use the Lee C312-155-2R in an M-1 Carbine unless you single load. The magazines for that rifle do not allow enough nose protrusion. The Lyman 311410 was specifically designed for the M-1 Carbine and works quite well in them.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

Justin Tyme
Newcomer

Posted: December 16 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Justin Tyme

I have been loading jacketed bullets for many years, but am relatively new with cast so here is the question..

I have an old Mauser 98, rebarreled to 7.62x39 (.308 barrel). If I use load data for a jacketed bullet with a relatively slow powder (I know uses much more powder than a faster powder per load) for a 150 grain jacketed bullet (under 2000 fps) using a 155 grain lee gas check bullet (wheelweight metal) will I experience any major problems??

Just as a test I have fired a couple of rounds (before I got the lee mold) using a Ideal 308329 (182 grain with wheelweights and a gas check) sized to .309 with 25.5 gr of BLC(2) and commercial Winchester cases. The cases and primers show NO signs of high pressure and the barrel APPEARS to be clean (neither a patch nor a brush produced any unusual crud). These bullets are of course seated too far out for an AK magazine, but I normaly single load the Mauser. Does anyone see any problems using a similar load with the 155 grain Lee bullet??

Thanks for any help (positive or negative) you can give,
Glenn

Leftoverdj

Posted: December 16 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Glenn, you should be golden. A full case of a powder that's really a bit slow for the case is an old cast bullet shooter's trick. You can't get enough medium rifle powder in the 7.62x39 to hurt anything with the 155 grain cast bullet. H-4895 is very popular for this use. I'm using surplus powders in H-335, BLC(2) range and get decent accuracy at somewhat reduced velocities.

Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

lotech
Newcomer

Posted: December 17 2008 at 4:45am | IP Logged Quote lotech

If you can locate a copy of HANDLOADER magazine #177 (Oct.-Nov.1995), it contains much data for cast bullet 7.62x39 loads that were tested in a Ruger bolt-action. With cautious load development, many such loads could be adopted for use in a semi-auto gun. Be particularly careful with slamfires in non-bolt-action guns and the possibility of full-auto fire if using non-military type primers.
Back to Top View lotech's Profile Search for other posts by lotech

Justin Tyme
Newcomer

Posted: December 18 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Justin Tyme

Thank you, I will find a copy of this magazine. I am using a bolt action Mauser, so primers are not a worry in this case, but agree completely. I normally use CCI primers as they SEEM a little harder to accidently set off, but it is always a possibility.

Glenn

lotech wrote:
If you can locate a copy of HANDLOADER magazine #177 (Oct.-Nov.1995), it contains much data for cast bullet 7.62x39 loads that were tested in a Ruger bolt-action. With cautious load development, many such loads could be adopted for use in a semi-auto gun. Be particularly careful with slamfires in non-bolt-action guns and the possibility of full-auto fire if using non-military type primers.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version