Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: 255 Grain Lee FN 45 ACP Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Petander

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2004 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote Petander

Now I got them chronoed:

Lee 255 FN 45 ACP sized .452 , 6.9 grains VV 3N37 OAL 1.220" crimp groove exposed, velocity 750 fps,grease lubed.

Same load but seated deeper to hide the crimp groove, OAL 1.210" , velocity 880 fps,grease lubed.

Both are taper crimped 0.470" , LFC.

These feel really soft to shoot in my Gold Cup, I will stick to the longer,funny looking OAL for now because of the pressures,obviously reliable feed,my lack of extra heavy spring and better (possibly) accuracy. I will look for an accuracy load now, tuning it up. This experiment clearly shows the importance of correct seating depth, especially with hi pressure cartridges like 40 S&W even the slightest variation can be disastrous. Ask my Glock.

FYI: These loads are totally improvised, do not use them unless you know what you´re doing. For some reason Vihtavuori still doesn´t list 3N37 for 45 ACP but that powder has worked for me for years in cast stuff.

These rounds do look funny (the mold is not broken in yet,working on it):

First seven test rounds at 15 yards, wrist supported:

Has someone else loaded these babies up?
Back to Top View Petander's Profile Search for other posts by Petander Visit Petander's Homepage

SMITH

Posted: March 01 2004 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote SMITH

I shoot them in 45 Colt. Best so far has been just under 3" at 25 yards on a poorly lit indoor range rested on a flimsy plastic tray. I have not had a chance to work the load for accuracy yet, I got the sub-3" with the load that I just happened to pick. I am honing the mold out to drop .459" bullets though to fit properly in a 45 Colt with extremely large throats, so I have only shot them for accuracy a couple times. I also have not had a chance to play with the alloy yet.

It is a nice bullet shape, and my mold works nicely. I have high hopes for this bullet.   
Back to Top View SMITH's Profile Search for other posts by SMITH

chunkum

Posted: March 01 2004 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote chunkum

It looks a lot like the 255gr gas checked flat nosed bullets from a Lyman mould, I think, I bought from Freedom arms back in the late 80's to shoot in a .454 Casull. I always cast it back then in linotype at their recommendation and it gave superb overall performance, later becoming my choice for heavier loads for that caliber in a cast bullet. I had initially purchased one of the same design in the heavier 300gr weight, and it was also a fine performer in all categories. The 255 grainer got the edge for most of my loads. Loading it in the .45 Auto with these good results is a real coup. Got a box of the 255ers all sized and lubed, and I may just try it. Complements to the photographer too. Fine pictures.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

Petander

Posted: March 03 2004 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Petander

My test group from yesterday:15 rounds,15 yards, near 800fps:

I´m happy. Wrong bullet,wrong powder-right results.
Back to Top View Petander's Profile Search for other posts by Petander Visit Petander's Homepage

JimH

Posted: March 08 2004 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote JimH

I love this bullet. I got a 2 cavity mould when it first came out and immediately ordered a 6 cavity mould after casting a few!

I have used it in every .45 I own and also use a #2 center drill to hollow point it for hunting loads with bullets cast from wheelweights (with just a touch of tin to make them fill out the mould good). In the .45 Auto rim I load it to 1100 fps with 2400 - it is the best shooting bullet I own in that (though the old "pre-XTP" 250 Hornady JHP. is right up there also).

I load it in the .45 ACP with 231 and win. Super Field (do they still make that - I had about 10 pounds of it on the shelf).

Cordially,
Jim H.

Back to Top View JimH's Profile Search for other posts by JimH

chunkum

Posted: March 08 2004 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote chunkum

JimH,
I'd surely appreciate it if you could outline in just a little more detail how you go about hollow-pointing these bullets. I have a Forstner hollow pointer but the bit in it is too small to suit me, and the elbow grease excessive for my 65 yrs. I have an asortment of drill bits, and also a little Dremel "drill press" outfit. I didn't understand "#2 center drill", so please be patient with me in regard to any vernacular terms, if you do have time to respond to this post. As my post above, I have a GC bullet of much similar appearance, and for most of my loads, this Lee bullet seems likely to be just the ticket.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

JimH

Posted: March 09 2004 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote JimH

Chunkum;

I do it two ways. One is I took a #2 center drill -probably some machinists here know the dimensions better than me but the little drill looks like a counter sink drill (leaving a cavity that is similar to a Win. Silver Tip pistol bullet) the small part seems to be about 1/8" and the bevel is something like 60 degrees. I turned down the back half until it would fit in my Forester case trimmer. I made my own little cone shaped holder to keep cartridge centered (stole the idea from that "hollow pointer" you mentioned) and then chuck the thing into the trimmer and go to town *slowly*.

The other is that I have one of those Forester fixtures for use in a drill press(looks like the back half of the case trimmer mounted on a flat plate). I mount that on the machinist vice on my drill press and then "eyball" the center of the bullet and drill it on the press. The challenge here is that if you feed the drill in too fast it will grab the alloy bullet and start spinning it in the case. You have to go slow but it is easier than by hand.

Wish I could do pictures better. Perhaps I can get one and post it, but I am not sure how to get them down to a small enough size to post here.

Hope this helps some.
Cordially,
Jim.
Back to Top View JimH's Profile Search for other posts by JimH

chunkum

Posted: March 09 2004 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote chunkum

JimH,
That does help, and I thank you for the information. If you use the ACDSee graphics viewer, it has an "editor" tab on the top icon bar with any graphic you are viewing. When "editor" comes up, on the top menue bar with text labeled tabs, you'll see "image". Clicking on this drops a menue and on it is a "resize" tab. The original picture will have its kbyts at the bottom right on the frame, so you'll have an idea how much you want to reduce it. Clicking on the "resize" tab brings a little widow that allows you to decide what % you want to reduce the original picture. Lots of other options here too. Get the % you want and close "editor", click yes on both the questions that come up and you'll have your reduction waiting in the same location you had the larger picture.
Now I'm happy as a hog in a corn crib with the info you sent me, but this is one way to accomplish the reduction you asked about at the end of your post.
Thanks again.
Chunkum

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version