Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Light to Medium loads for the 45-70 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lead Head
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Lead Head

Hi guys:

I am a NEWBIE to the 45-70 Govt round, and am looking for reloading data for light to medium loads using 300gr to 500gr lead bullets.

A few of my buddies at work finally talked me into buying an H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 (which I have yet to shoot....... ). I bought a small can of Trail Boss to try, but I am looking for light-medium loads using pistol powders like WW 231, WW Super Field, WW Super Target, HP-38, etc.

If I am in the wrong forum for this request, please tell me. I looked for a "reloading" forum and didn't see one...

Thanks

Back to Top View Lead Head's Profile Search for other posts by Lead Head

gstanfield

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

NO, you got it right. reloading, handloading, it's the same thing. Paul5388 will chime in here soon I'm sure. He is our resident expert with the 45-70 and reduced power loads. He uses Bluedot in almost everything (I've heard he even uses it sprinkled on his grits, but I don't know for sure)

I'll look and see what I can find with trailboss, as well as any other reduced power loads I have. There are several of us on here with Buffalo Classics, including myself. I did rechamber mine to a 45-120 though, so as you'll probably guess reduced loads are not much of my stronghold.

Welcome to the forum, it's a great palce with plenty of good info and I'm sure you will find it to be a great resource.

Georeg

I Peter 2:17

1911, when 9-1-1 just isn't enough!
Back to Top View gstanfield's Profile Search for other posts by gstanfield

Paul5388

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Dan,

Welcome to the forum!

It's all reloading, so there really isn't a "correct" section of the forum.

It would seem, with your signature line, that you might be considering cast bullets for this venture. That's a good place, especially with the steel butt plate the BC has on it!

I don't really think it would be advisable to use ball powders for your reduced loads. They don't ignite easily and that's a definite minus.

I use Blue Dot for most of my reduced "light" loads, but Green Dot, Unique, 2400 and Universal are used in some loads.

A nice easy recoiling load is 12.0 gr of Green Dot with a 405 gr cast in R-P brass. It shoots about 1050 fps out of my 22" Handi barrel, so it may be a little faster in your long barrel. Mine's scoped and that load will shoot close to 1" at 100 yards.

With a 300 gr Rem JHP, I use 20.0 gr of Blue Dot in Starline or R-P brass. Again, it shoots close to 1" at 100 yards. That load will generate about 1480 fps out of 22" of barrel.

A lot of the forum members use Reloder 7, IMR 3031, SR 4759 and AA 5744 for their loads.

Blue Dot on my grits?

Edited by Paul5388 on January 18 2007 at 6:22pm
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Lead Head
Newcomer

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Lead Head

gstanfield wrote:
There are several of us on here with Buffalo Classics, including myself. I did rechamber mine to a 45-120 though, so as you'll probably guess reduced loads are not much of my stronghold.

Welcome to the forum, Georeg

Thanks for the WELCOME.....

45-120....... Better you behind that trigger than me...    What weight(s) bullets are you using in the 45-120?

stuffit

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote stuffit

Lead Head,
Good to see another representative of the Magnolia State on the forum. I've shot my BC a lot, after refurbishing it some for comfort purposes. The Blue Dot loads are the best of the lot for that type of powder. I've used several powders but the one's you list aren't among them. I'd suggest you go to THIS LINK for some good material on loads and other things. There are myriads of threads on 45-70 loads if you want to "mine" for them with the search function. I'm sure you'll enjoy your rifle.

stuffit

gstanfield

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

I shoot everythign from 300gr screamers to 500gr cast bullets. I havn't settled down on a favorite load yet, but I will some day I'm sure

Paul, I figured as much as you brag about that blue dot, that you probably used it as a seasoning as well. You like it about as much as I like IMR in metal cans it seems

George

Lead Head
Newcomer

Posted: January 18 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Lead Head

Paul5388 wrote:

I don't really think it would be advisable to use ball powders for your reduced loads. They don't ignite easily and that's a definite minus.

Paul, thanks for the info on Winchester ball powders. As mainly a handgun/subgun ammo loader, I have a sh*t-load of Winchester powders and was hoping they might work in the 45-70. I will buy some BlueDot and Unique to try. FYI: I start my handgun ammo reloading with Unique many... many... many years ago. But after discovering how much cleaner WW 231 burns, I have used 231 ever since.

What about 45-70 loads using Unique and 300gr to 500gr lead bullets for a 1,000fps velocity.....? Any suggestions...?

Edited by Lead Head on January 18 2007 at 7:03pm

Paul5388

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

12.0 gr of Unique or Universal will send a 405 gr cast downrange a little slower than Green Dot and they aren't quite as accurate for me, but they will both work. I get close to 1000 fps with them and 1 1/2" at 100 yards at the most. They will all be a little like a rainbow, with about 6" high at 50 yards being the norm with a 100 yard zero.

I haven't worked with 2400 in .45-70, but it should work well for reduced loads and still be very useful for revolver loads. I like it better than Unique or Universal.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

bam4k

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote bam4k

Paul5388 wrote:
I haven't worked with 2400 in .45-70, but it should work well for reduced loads and still be very useful for revolver loads. I like it better than Unique or Universal.

I LOVE 2400 in the 45-70. It has worked well for me with everything from 300gr to over 500gr bullets. If you want my specific load data let me know and I'll look it up.

-CBRick 12/11/2006
Back to Top View bam4k's Profile Search for other posts by bam4k

gstanfield

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

bam, do you have any trail boss data for 45-70? I couldn't find mine, what little I had anyway.

George

bam4k

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote bam4k

gstanfield wrote:
bam, do you have any trail boss data for 45-70? I couldn't find mine, what little I had anyway.

George

Yes I do. I have used the published "max" loads with good success. If you want what data I have come up with for my 500gr bullets I can look it up.

The IMR Loads are:

16.5gr of Trail Boss with a 300gr Cast bullet

13.0gr of TB with a 405gr Cast Bullet

Both of these loads are below SAAMI spec and should be safe in any firearm.
Here is a Link to IMRs TB Rifle Data

Edited by bam4k on January 18 2007 at 7:20pm

-CBRick 12/11/2006

Buffalogun

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

LH,

I use 25.2g SR4759 under the Lee 405gHB cast, for a velocity of about 1,450 fps. from the 22" barrel of my Handi.

Give it a try!

Oh, and George this is just for you:

Mike

bam4k

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote bam4k

I forgot to WELCOME YOU TO THE FORUM!

I would also like to add that RE7 is a good powder for the 45-70, it can be used for everything from mild to wild loads.

-CBRick 12/11/2006

Paul5388

Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

I only saw 1 Unique load, but check the loads here in our Handloads.com load data.

Leftoverdj

Posted: January 19 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Here's the bible on light loads.

Proven medium loads in the .45-70 are 27 grains of 5744 and 31 grains of H 4198 under 405 grain cast. Lee's 459-405-HB mould is quite inexpensive and gives excellent results in the generally oversized NEF barrels.

Edited by Leftoverdj on January 19 2007 at 8:15am
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

Paul5388

Posted: January 19 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Here it is as a link. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

This is the site I originally used to get the Green Dot load I use. Their "GS" (Group Size) numbers help a lot in determining what is potentially a good load. If the GS is 12, you can pretty well count on looking in other areas!

The article written on the process of testing and the thoughts behind using flake pistol powders was good infomation and worthy of a "bookmark" on my computer!

Paul5388

Posted: January 19 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

There are 6 "new" 2400 loads in the load data for 3 different bullets. Half are Trapdoor loads and half are Level 2 Lever Action loads. These loads are from the Hercules Reloader's Guide of 4/85, but should still be just as valid as when they were published.

gstanfield

Posted: January 19 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

Mike, were do you find that stuff? I'll have to try some of it out

George

Lead Head
Newcomer

Posted: January 19 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lead Head

Paul5388 wrote:
Here it is as a link. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

This is the site I originally used to get the Green Dot load I use. Their "GS" (Group Size) numbers help a lot in determining what is potentially a good load. If the GS is 12, you can pretty well count on looking in other areas!

The article written on the process of testing and the thoughts behind using flake pistol powders was good infomation and worthy of a "bookmark" on my computer!

Thanks for this VALUABLE link... However, a question I have that I don't see info on..... Are these light loads using any filler material? Or are they just letting the powder fall where it may in the case...?

Also...    I did see some 45-70 loads using WW 231 with 405s and getting good SDs, but GS did suffer...

Paul5388

Posted: January 19 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Dan,

Since I don't use 231 in anything (don't even own any), I guess I didn't pay attention to it in the .45-70 loads.

I never use fillers in any of my loads. It isn't needed with the flake powders I prefer and there has been some controversy over whether fillers are contributing to micro bulging. I decided to go sans fillers.

It seems like Stuffit posted the detrimental aspects of fillers on accuracy, or was it SDs?    Whichever, I decided it wasn't worth the risk or the results.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version