Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Taurus tracker .44 magnum 4" SS review Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gavingear

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 01 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote gavingear

Recently bought a Tracker .44 magnum (about 300 rounds ago) Pic:

I like the gun a lot, but did have an issue with it. Within the first 50 rounds, the center pin stuck in, causing the cylinder not to lock. Upon close inspection, I discovered that the inside extractor bore (where the center pin moves) was machined very crudely, like it had been drilled out with a dull drill bit, and not finished at all. The center pin was sharp on the edge of the face where the spring hits it as well.

I called up Taurus, and told them to send me a new extractor, and they said they could not! They said due to liability reasons, there are certain parts they can not send out, you have to send the gun to them (and you know how long that could take to get back )

Since I have a machine shop in my garage, I decided to fix the gun myself, rather than send it in. I chucked up the extractor in my lathe and finished the inside bore of the extractor. I also cleaned up the center pin, deburring it and polishing it. I used to have to tap out the center pin, and now it freely slides in and out of the extractor. I'm hoping this will cure the sticking.

The rest of the gun is great, except for the front sight. There's an orange sticker on the ramp, and that fell off during cleaning (oil melted the adhesive). The trigger pull is real smooth in single/double action, and it fires real accurate. One question: The cylinder/barrel gap is .007" - seems a bit large. Anyone know if that's in spec?

At the end of the day, I like the gun because of the features (ported barrel, SS construction, compact size, great grip) and the price (paid $459.). But I think there quality control is lacking in some areas. I also wonder about not being able to get certain parts...

Edited by gavingear on February 01 2007 at 4:17pm
Back to Top View gavingear's Profile Search for other posts by gavingear

EMC45

Posted: February 01 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote EMC45

Had the same problem with Winchester. I had a Mod. 70 .270 and the safety went bad(no more clicks). They said they couldn't send one for liability reasons. I could at my expense send them the rifle and then they would bill me for labor and parts. I ordered a safety from Brownells for a few bucks and fit it myself

Everybody wants to get to Heaven, but no one wants to die.
Back to Top View EMC45's Profile Search for other posts by EMC45

45 Colt

Posted: February 01 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote 45 Colt

I looked at one of those taurus 44's like you have, I immediately put it back down. It looked like a poorly made gun, on a 44 special frame. I'd personally be hesitant to put full house 44 through it. I found a review of this gun at gunblast, his had a .002" gap.....

Edited by 45 Colt on February 01 2007 at 1:43pm
Back to Top View 45 Colt's Profile Search for other posts by 45 Colt

gavingear

Posted: February 01 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote gavingear

I bought this gun for wildlife protection while backpacking... It's hard to beat the compact design and low weight on this one for that. So far it has handled full power .44 magnum loads just fine. I've only shot about 15 44 specials through it.

Sounds like I need to crank the barrel down then? Taking the gap from .007 down to .002. Does anyone know how to do that on this model, and whether a special wrench is required?

EDIT: After reading online about .44 magnums, it looks like .006 - .009 is a good range for a target gun. If you crank it down to .002, the heat expansion and powder buildup on the face of the cylinder can cause binding. (If you run .002 you have to wipe down the cylinder every 50 rounds or so). The gun works well as is, so I'll leave it for the time being.

Thanks
Gavin

Edited by gavingear on February 01 2007 at 4:15pm

dakotashooter2

Posted: February 02 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote dakotashooter2

Had the same problem with mine in .41. At first I thought maybe the pin had bent as I would polish it and it would work fine for a while then hang up again. Finally when I polished the hole it finally started working properly.

I have also had issues with misfires in two different guns while firing double action which I cured by shimming or installing a heavier mainspring. I had issues with the cylinder bolt hanging up on my 450 which was also cured with polishing.

IF I ever buy another Taurus it will be completely stripped and every part/hole polished.
Back to Top View dakotashooter2's Profile Search for other posts by dakotashooter2

50DEP

Posted: February 04 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

I had these issues with my 425 41 magnum Tracker. sent it to Taurus and they had it for 4 months!!! When I finaly got it back I was tempted to sell the thing....but on reflection decided the gun was not the problem....the people who stand behind the gun was the problem, I still have it and love it. But will resolve any issues myself now.
Back to Top View 50DEP's Profile Search for other posts by 50DEP

joed

Posted: February 04 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote joed

45 Colt wrote:
I looked at one of those taurus 44's like you have, I immediately put it back down. It looked like a poorly made gun, on a 44 special frame. I'd personally be hesitant to put full house 44 through it. I found a review of this gun at gunblast, his had a .002" gap.....

I don't think you're talking about the same gun. I saw one of these in the gunshop yesterday. This is a large frame gun, probably bigger than a S&W N frame.

Joed
Back to Top View joed's Profile Search for other posts by joed Visit joed's Homepage

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: February 04 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JohnK

It definitely sounds like you're talking about two different guns. Taurus makes a small one on their medium frame (roughly K/L size) and another one that is bigger than the N frame, about the size of the Redhawk. It's a whopper, seems to handle the heaviest loads decently though.

6.5" M44 Taurus

2guntom

Posted: February 04 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote 2guntom

The "Tracker" is a 5-shot 44 Magnum. It is model # 44Tracker4ss. It weighs in at 34oz. That's the one referenced above.

The big one is a 6-shot. Model #44SS4. It weighs in at 45oz.

List
Back to Top View 2guntom's Profile Search for other posts by 2guntom Visit 2guntom's Homepage

gavingear

Posted: February 05 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote gavingear

Took her to the range after my extractor/center pin fix, and all is well. I shot about 120 rounds of full power .44 magnum loads in it, and the center pin worked perfectly.

gavingear

Posted: February 06 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote gavingear

Update: Put about 120 more rounds through the gun yesterday. I had a bit of copper plating from a bullet wedge in the cylinder/barrel gap (above the barrel) but that was due to myself loading full power H110 loads behind thin plated lead bullets... My fault.

I got the gun good and hot, and the fix on the center pin is working perfectly. The gun shoots really nice. It is light weight, but manageable with 24gr of H110 behind a 240gr bullet! A very nice SA or DA trigger action, and the porting really negates muzzle flip.

Dale53
Newcomer

Posted: February 24 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Dale53

I just recently picked up a used, blue, Taurus Tracker .44 magnum. Just looking it over I am pretty pleased with it. Looks like a dandy packin' gun for the field. I have several .44 magnums from S&W to Rugers and like them all. This Tracker is a really nice concept and if it works as well as it looks, I'll be a happy camper.

During the same time frame, I also picked up a SS Tracker in .45 ACP. I guess I can discuss this on this post as it is also a Tracker?

Using the full moon clips is great for a quick reload but I consider them a PITA for general range use. I have shot this one a bit and really like the way it handles. I am not terribly enamored of the porting but don't find it a particular problem, either. The piece is sure comfortable to shoot.

Back to the full moon clips. I was reading another forum regarding the .45 Colt and someone suggested to another to look at the .45 Cowboy Special .45 Colt brass for light loads. It has a rim with the same specs as the .45 Colt (for those who may not have seen this) but it is exactly the same length as the .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim.

My .45 ACP Tracker has normal headspace and will not allow the use of the .45 Auto Rim. However, the Cowboy .45 Specials work just fine in the Tracker. Now I can do as the 1917 Smith and Colt boys do, use the .45 Special for normal use and use the .45 ACP's with the full moon clips for a quick reload (users of the 1917 can use .45 Auto Rim for general use and moon clips with ACP for a quick reload).

One thing I did note, the Tracker has rather tight chamber mouths and is quite particular as to bullet seating depth. It is not a problem as long as you are aware of it but is something to watch.

YMMV
Special note: it should be obvious, but you need to use .45 ACP or .45 Auto Rim data with the .45 Cowboy Special brass regardless of which gun you are using these cases in.

Dale53

Edited by Dale53 on February 24 2007 at 4:40pm

gavingear

Posted: March 06 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote gavingear

**Update- I have about 800 rounds through this gun now, and it's holding up really well. Lots of full power .44 mag loads, and a mix of about 2/3 power loadings. The gun is tight and accurate. I think it's the best gun for bear protection while backpacking if you want something that's affordable AND lightweight. At 36oz empty, it's a good compromise between packability and shootability.

2guntom

Posted: March 06 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote 2guntom

I appreciate all your posts keeping me up to date on the gun's performance. I'm finally venturing out and have ordered my first Taurus revolver.

List
Back to Top View 2guntom's Profile Search for other posts by 2guntom Visit 2guntom's Homepage

thatch

Posted: March 13 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote thatch

gavingear,

I have a 4" SS Tracker and had the EXACT same problem. I sent it back to Taurus. They fixed and sent back in 4 weeks.

It handles fairly hot handloads, and the so far so good on the ejector center pin.

However, it still costed 150 bucks to send it pre-paid and insured. I may as well have used a gunsmith

Any, I love the all around packing capability of this little beast!

50DEP

Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

They made you pay for the repair???
Back to Top View 50DEP's Profile Search for other posts by 50DEP

2guntom

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote 2guntom

gavingear,

Have you had any issues with sticky extraction/cases not breaking free?

Are the chambers nice and smooth or can you see machining marks?

List

gavingear

Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote gavingear

For the most part, shells eject easily from this gun. I did have some sticky extraction once, but I think I had loaded a bit hot that time.

I can see machining marks inside the chambers, but it does not look too bad.

thatch

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote thatch

Gavingear,

No...I had to pay the postage to send the gun in. Overnight, pre-paid, insured, etc.

Taurus didn't charge me anything.

thatch

Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote thatch

Gavingear,

No...I had to pay the postage to send the gun in. Overnight, pre-paid, insured, etc.

Taurus didn't charge me anything.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version