Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: lee 1 oz slug loads Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kycrawler
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote kycrawler

i have been casting and shooting lee 1 oz slugs for quite a while   current load is 36 gr herco   with a win aa12 wad in once fired aa trap hulls   this crosses my chrono at 1500fps   and has stiff recoil

i am looking for a lighter 850-1k fps   load   for 3 gun   and general shooting i was considering using a taller wad and just reducing the herco powder charge so i could get similar case space and wad pressure    any reason why this is a bad idea? or does anyone have a lighter load worked up ?
Back to Top View kycrawler's Profile Search for other posts by kycrawler

Leftoverdj

Posted: May 29 2007 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

The slower powders, such as Herco, often give bloopers when the charge is reduced. A better approach would be to use a published 1 oz shot load with the only substitution being slug for shot. The slug will give slightly lower pressures, but this should not be a problem with the fast powders typically used in 1 oz loads.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

kycrawler
Newcomer

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote kycrawler

hodgon worked up the loads for lee and   they said   do not sub the slug   for a bird shot load   as all things were not equal , but they    also wont provide a reduced load ?

stuffit

Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote stuffit

kycrawler,
My advice on this is to listen to leftoverdj. His is the voice of "been there - done that". I'd think the small shot charge would likely give more pressure on firing than a slug of equal weight. Chrono your first loads and adjust your charge accordingly by comparing the mvl of the slug with the published mvl of the shot load.

stuffit

Paul5388

Posted: May 29 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

According to Speer #8, a 1 ounce slug was loaded with 29.0 gr of Hercules Unique at 1550 fps when you used 50# of seating pressure. Herco was only used with 16 and 20 gauge slugs.

There were so many combinations that are possible that is would be very hard to say what load to use. However, DJ is right in using a shot load, because it was always less powder than what the slug loads were.

I only saw one load that used 36.0 gr of Herco and it was in a R-P plastic hull with more than 1 ounce of shot.

Just using the lesser amount of powder with Unique will reduce recoil some, even though it's the same velocity.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

kycrawler
Newcomer

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote kycrawler

what is the reasoning behind the belief that a shot load and a slug   with equal charges   would generate less pressure in the slug load ?

Leftoverdj

Posted: May 29 2007 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

The shot load compresses and spreads, forcing the shotcup outwards, increasing friction and hence pressure. The slug is a solid and cannot press against the shotcup walls to the same degree.

I suspect that the 29 grain charge of Unique that Paul mentioned did not use a shotcup. 22 grains in Win uniformed slug hulls with Fed 12S3 wads is my play load. I won't claim the accuracy of some of the high velocity loads, but they are pleasant to shot and accurate enough out to 25 or 35 yards.

Edited by Leftoverdj on May 30 2007 at 12:03am

Paul5388

Posted: May 30 2007 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

I think the slug loads were with felt wads, but I don't remember on the shot load. As I said, there's a gillion combinations in the old manuals and finding the exactly right components was always a challenge.

Years ago, I used to load a 12 gauge load with (2) .45" round balls and #4 shot as a filler to keep the balls in place. I used a field load of Green Dot, which was a very mild load, but it placed the balls about 1" apart at 25 yards. It was in paper hulls with "power pistons" and it worked fine.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Leftoverdj

Posted: May 30 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Paul that sounds right for a felt wad load. I would not go near that with a shotcup which gives a much better seal. I started loading shotshells c. 1960 when felt and card wad columns were standard. Plastic gas seals (little cups that replaced the card wad) were just coming on the scene and took a reduction in powder charge. Years later, when one piece shotcups became common, they used even less powder for the same pressure.

Shotgun loads are funny beasts, and I take the warnings against switching components seriously. I prefer not to do it at all, but I am comfortable subbing slug for shot.

2guntom

Posted: June 10 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote 2guntom

Great stuff guys, as usual.

List
Back to Top View 2guntom's Profile Search for other posts by 2guntom Visit 2guntom's Homepage

drinks

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote drinks

An interesting exercise is to take a shotshell, a standard factory 1oz load, remove the shot and replace it with a 1oz slug or 1oz ball, chronograph both, the shot will give about 1200-1300fps, the slug or ball will give about 800-900fps.
As DJ said, the shot directs pressure sideways,increasing friction and back pressure, the solid only offers resistance to forward motion.

Ole Gringo

Posted: June 11 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Ole Gringo

I emailed Hodgon about the 36grs of herco opening the action on my mossberg 500, they sent back a reply to drop the charge no more than 10%. I use 33.5grs of herco and it chronos at 1400fps and is accurate and doesn't hurt my shoulder or open the action.

Edited by Ole Gringo on June 11 2007 at 8:02am

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version