Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .270, 130 gr. Hornady sst Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
maineac
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 16 2007 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote maineac

I am new to reloading. My .270 is very fussy, and seems to like fast loads. It shoots 1" groups with Rem. corlokts, which list muzzle velocity as 3320. slower lads group miserably. I was looking for a bullet which would expand faster and went with the sst. A couple of reloaders suggested IMR 4831. Staying in the manufacturers guidelines I am getting 10" groups. I am guessing that my velocity is well below the Rem. speed. Any suggestions fro getting the bullet velocity closer to the Remington stats?    
Back to Top View maineac's Profile Search for other posts by maineac Visit maineac's Homepage

Leftoverdj

Posted: August 16 2007 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

If you are getting that much difference and your rifle will still group well with Corelokt, you have serious bedding issues. You might also check out the scope if you are out of Corelokt. I have never seen a change anywhere close to 10" from just a load change.

I have also never seen a .270 that would not shoot at least fairly well with 57 grains of IMR 4831 and any decent 130 grain bullet.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

Buffalogun

Posted: August 16 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

maineac,

First, Welcome to the forum!

I am assuming you are working with the 270 Winchester cartridge!

Remington list their 100g PSP at 3,320 fps. You won't be able to safely shoot 130g bullets at 3,320 fps. from the 270 Winchester.

Safe velocities for 130g bullets will be around the 3,100 fps. mark, give or take a little.

Like "DJ" wrote, IMR4831 is one of the best powders for the 270 Win. Another good powder is H4831.

If "DJ's" suggestions don't pan out, play around with your seating depth. .005" to .010"off the rifling might work out for you.

What rifle are you working with?
We need more info!

Mike

maineac
Newcomer

Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote maineac

The gun has been professionally bedded so I don't think it is a bedding issue. It has always been fussy. I have tried Federal ammo, both 130 grain and the 150 Nosler partitions. The partitions had 10" groups, the 130 grain 6". 150 grain corlokts open up to around 2" groups. The 130 corlokts touch holes often enough not to surprise me. I have shot it with corlokts recently to practice and it is right on, so not the scope either.

I have not tried the 57 grain loads yet becouse that exceeded the recomendations on the IMR site. I have loaded up a batch and hope to get to the range on the next calm morning.

I also have tried to set the bullet just off the rifling as Buffalogun suggested. Another friend suggested the same thing.

I was hoping to get some grain recomendations that matched those (57gr) given to me at the store where I bought the powder and bullets. Since I am new to this I am trying to be careful as I advance on the learning curve.    
Back to Top View maineac's Profile Search for other posts by maineac Visit maineac's Homepage

redneckpaul

Posted: August 17 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote redneckpaul

Try 60 grains of H4831. H4831 has always given good accuracy and top velocity in all my .270`s
Back to Top View redneckpaul's Profile Search for other posts by redneckpaul

Paul5388

Posted: August 17 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

RNP,

I think I just read Jack O'Connor bragging about 60 gr of WWII H4831 with a 130 gr bullet. With this newer powder, that isn't WWII vintage, it might be well to work up to it a little. DJ's 57 gr would be about a 5% reduction and probably a good starting place.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

redneckpaul

Posted: August 17 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote redneckpaul

Paul5388 wrote:
RNP,

I think I just read Jack O'Connor bragging about 60 gr of WWII H4831 with a 130 gr bullet. With this newer powder, that isn't WWII vintage, it might be well to work up to it a little. DJ's 57 gr would be about a 5% reduction and probably a good starting place.

I`ve never had pressure problems in any of my .270`s with 60 grains of H4831 and 130 grainers. Still a good idea to start lower and work up. I have gone as high as 62 grains of H4831.
I played around with IMR 4831 in my .270`s about 10 years ago. Never had good luck with it. Could never get good velocity without pressure problems. It was real touchy. Just 1/2 grain more and the pressure would spike with it. Someone suggested H4831 And I`ve used it ever since.

Paul5388

Posted: August 17 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

RNP,

Jack would be proud of you!

He did say that even with WWII H4831, you had to check the different lots, as they did change some. However, I think he bought it in 55 gallon barrels, so his lots stayed the same for a long time.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

dukers65

Posted: August 17 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote dukers65

redneck hit the load,that is the classic 270 combination you might try winchester power points my ruger really liked them. good luck and enjoy yourself,dan.
Back to Top View dukers65's Profile Search for other posts by dukers65

SuperCrewd

Posted: August 17 2007 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote SuperCrewd

Tell us what powders and bullets you have on hand. Personally I believe if Coreloc's are working buy some and load them. The coreloc's are great bullets and pretty cheap too. Powder selection can be an issue but the 270 is really easy to load for to exceed the groups you have been getting. My 270 shoots a lot of things well but I found a load that shoots really well all the time. I recently restocked the gun and it does not shoot my old faithful load well anymore (now 2 inch groups) but shoots factory loads that it did not shoot well prior to restocking to .6 inches (best group of course), go figure.

My go to load has been Hornady 130 grain SP in the .270 but when I tried the SST I could never get it to group (I love the SST in .308 and .338). The SST is a boattail and the SP is a flat base, that can make a difference too. The coreloc is a flat base I believe but I would have to walk upstairs to confirm that.

My advice is this: Buy 100 coreloc's, load with the powder you feel is best (I like RL 22) in 1 grain increments from min to max (3-10 of each), case length to Max COL (3.340 if I remember correctly) and shoot for groups in a controlled fashion. I usually shoot 3 shots in a fairly rapid fashion and let the gun rest to cool. Some will wait 1-5 minutes between shots for cooling but I am not that patient. Then shoot some other guns in between. When you get back for the next group the gun should be cool to the touch. If it is the only gun you own, do not try to force the issue because the hot steel will not be consistent. If so then shoot one loading and call it a day, come back the next day and shoot the next one... You get the picture.

What this process will get you is a picture of the range the gun shoots best in. Sometimes I will find a gun groups two similar loads well (i.e. 57 and 58 grains) so it would be a good area to try splitting the difference of the two in however many divisions you wish. Sometimes you will find two that group well many grains apart. There you may opt to try around each and if there is still no difference in accuracy, then I choose the faster one (that is a faster more accurate load, not just faster).

If all this fails then it is the time to change one of the variables. Either primer, powder, bullet, COAL but not more than one. I have never had to try different primers and rarely adjust COAL as I find a great shooting group.

The bedding may be suspect despite who bedded it. We can give you a few tips on shimming the action to see if the bedding is an issue if you can not find a load combo that works.

Remember, this is fun...

Back to Top View SuperCrewd's Profile Search for other posts by SuperCrewd

maineac
Newcomer

Posted: August 20 2007 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote maineac

Thanks for all your help. My goal in starting to reload was to try to get a bullet that would expand quicker than the corlocts. They kill deer but the exit wound is only slightly larger than the entrance wound and I was hoping for shorter tracking jobs.
   I just bought some Hodgdon powder and will see if that makes a difference. I also have some old flat base speer 130 grains that I will try and see if that makes a difference.
    I will check the bedding for any signs of stress or cracks and go to just one set of loads per day. The gun has been fussy since I bought it used 20 years ago.
    I was getting frustrated with it and decided to try handloading to see if I could work up some loads that would give me some more options in what comes out the barrel. I am using an old Lee Loader that works one shell at a time by hammering the cartridge into the loader and adding components. I have the set of Lee measuring spoons. But now I am getting caught up in making it work. I bought a used balance and the new powder to try to get this process as exact as I can. Now if Ido buy a new gun it will be a .270 so I can still use all the gear I have.

redneckpaul

Posted: August 20 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote redneckpaul

You might wan`t to float the barrel on that rifle. I prefer that on a hunting rifle. Might help your accuracy alot

dukers65

Posted: August 20 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote dukers65

well it's monday , once again i've got hunch out here in the bleachers, i was having a somewhat similar
dilema with my ruger m77,i check the scope ring and
and base screws they were tight, so i double checked the screws to the stock ,the front i got snug up ,and the rear was tight. it definitely helped,of course i think i had it for 20+ years back then.

that darn gun can hold its' own against the ruger #1

just a thought ,good luck,dan.

Joe G.

Posted: August 20 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Joe G.

55.5 grains of IMR-4831 under 130 gr. Hornady SST's inside a Winchester case is my all time favorite deer load. I've shot sub 3/4" groups with it out of several different rifles - a few whitetail bucks too Remington Model 700, Ruger Model M77 Mk II, Winchester Model 70, even a TC Encore - very consistent accuracy. What charge did you try?
Back to Top View Joe G.'s Profile Search for other posts by Joe G.

JimP.

Posted: August 20 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote JimP.

I have a Rem 710 270 rifle and itlikes the Barnes 140 gr TSX bullet with 59.0 grs of RL-22 for 2872 fps....that bullet has a large BC and will kill anything in our neck of the woods very well...I only hunt with Barnes X or TSX bullets...JimP
Back to Top View JimP.'s Profile Search for other posts by JimP.

maineac
Newcomer

Posted: August 21 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote maineac

Well I checked the bedding, no cracks or signs of stress. Went out with the 130 corelocts and shot a 1" group (not counting the flyer I always get on the first shot in a clean barrel, opened it up to 1 3/4"). That was yesterday afternoon. Just got back in from shooting the sst's on 57 gr. of IMR 4831. 10" group. I had high hopes because when I checked the measuring scoop loads on the scale there was a high amount of variation. I measured this set with the scale so I felt they were very consistent. I will try some flat based bullets today to see if that makes a difference.

Redneck Paul the barrel is floated, except for the first inch from the reciever, as that is bedded.

Joe G. I will try a set of 55.5 Gr. loads, though I only have Remington cases.

Jim P. I was going to go witht he Barnes bullets, but the two guys who set me up at the gun store said that they did not expand very well and I would be happier with the SSt's. I may try some yet.

JimP.

Posted: August 21 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote JimP.

they were not being truthful with you about the Barnes bullets not expanding, they were trying to push the SST on you...I have never in 15 years of shooting Barnes X or the newer TSX bullets not expand and you should see the internal damage these bullets do in deer, like a buzzsaw...everything chopped up and pours out when you open them up, very devastating performance on deer...you got had my them...JImP.

Edited by JimP. on August 23 2007 at 9:33pm
Back to Top View JimP.'s Profile Search for other posts by JimP.

maineac
Newcomer

Posted: August 22 2007 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote maineac

Thanks Jim. They had the Barnes there to sell me, so i don't think it was selfish, they might not have had as much practical experience as you have. I might buy a batch next time I have a chance. But they are boattails and I am not sure if that is the problem I am having with the SST's. I just shot some Speer 130s that had a flat base and they patterned like the corelokts, in the sme point of impact. One even entered a taped hole made by a corelokt yesterday. I hope to borrow a buddy's .270 and see if his has the same problem, then it might be my loading process. Or maybe the simple system I am using does not resize the throat tight enough for the boattails.?

dukers65

Posted: August 22 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote dukers65

maineac,i had problems with the sst also,in fact i've still got a part of a box. my gun told me flat out no
more ssts. went back to corelokts and and hornadys's and sierras.in fact i thought a guy at the range was going to have heart failure because i had some roundnose out.once i figured out my ruger was a non sst
rifle,she did fine.good luck,dan

redneckpaul

Posted: August 22 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote redneckpaul

I have never gotten the best accuracy with the SST in the .270. I got excellant accuracy with the Hornady Spire Points in both 130 and 150 grainers. Might give them a try

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version