Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .308 & Win 748 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davemuzz

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote davemuzz

I have an excellent load of Berger bullets over Varget that shoots little groups out of my Stevens 200 in .308 caliber.

But...yeah...I was fooling around with some Noslers (why? Well...because I have 'em....and I want too ) and Win 748 powder.

Now, according to the Winchester (Hodgdon) web site, the maximum Win 748 load for the NOS 150 grain bullet is 48.5gr, and that will give you 2865fps.

I loaded up some at 47gr and a few more at 47.3 grains. Actually I had some at 47.7 and at 48.0...but I didn't shoot those.

The 47.0gr gave me crony results of a low of 2801 and a high of 2873. The 5 shot group averaged 2844...std dev of 27.6. The 47.3 low was 2862, high of 2943....std dev of 31.4 with a 5 shot group.

Now, I had no sticky brass extraction or other obvious pressure issues.....but I stopped at the 47.3gr of powder because it seems to be my understanding that the 150gr .308 bullet should not exceed 3000fps without having some severe pressure issues....even if they are apparently observable.

So....am I nutz here or should I "take the next step" and shoot the 5 rounds that are loaded @ 47.7?

The current groups with the Noslers are "acceptable" for deer hunting, and the purpose of this was to find an "acceptable" group that will function out of the guns magazine, as the Berger bullets are just to long.

Thoughts?

Dave

Ranch 13

Posted: July 23 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

I shoot 45.2 grs with hornady 165 gr bt interloc. Out of the 20 inch barrel of the blr that load does 2750 and is clover leaf accurate.

Back to your loads, as long as the primers are staying put and the bolt lifts ok, I'ld go ahead and see how they print on the target, also watch the chrony, if you don't get a sizable leap in velocity you can probably assume that 47.3 is a good place to call max.
Its not all that uncommon to get an entirely different velocity reading from the published data. Thats why chronographs can tell you how fast a bullet is going but don't know a stinkin thing about how much pressure is making it go that fast.
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13

davemuzz

Posted: July 23 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote davemuzz

Ranch,

Thanks for the post. You've just reminded me that I do have some 30 cal Hornady's sitting back there in my cabinet. It's been awhile since I've tried any bullet over Win 748.....so I may as well dust off that box of Hornady's and see what they will do.

Dave

Ranch 13

Posted: July 23 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

Keep us posted. 748 gets used in alot of things around here, and both 308's really groove on that same load, only the savage want ww brass and the blr like rp.

Slick

Posted: July 26 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Slick

I didn't get 'real analytical" - but I know I've loaded WW748 under 168gr SMK's (for accuracy work) and they came in somewhere near middle of the pack in my rifle - so I can say that it's a load that should be tested...

Who knows - your rifle may love them!

Rocky Raab

Posted: July 26 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

My best load with 150s and W748 is also 47.0 grains.

In general, if you are getting "book" speeds, you are probably getting "book" pressures. If that happens at below the book load, there's something in the equation that's raising pressures a bit. It might be heavier brass, a different primer, a rough throat, tighter bore, slightly larger-diameter bullets or any number of other things.

I'd stop right there.

JimP.

Posted: July 29 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote JimP.

W748 and RL-15 are the only two powders i use for loading the .308 Winchester, and W748 is the only powder i use to load the 7.62X51 Nato cartridge, works for me...JimP.
Back to Top View JimP.'s Profile Search for other posts by JimP.

davemuzz

Posted: August 01 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote davemuzz

Ranch 13 wrote:
Keep us posted. 748 gets used in alot of things around here, and both 308's really groove on that same load, only the savage want ww brass and the blr like rp.

I loaded up some 150 grain Hornady SST's just under the max as recommended in the Hornady reloading manual (amount escapes me at the moment). Actually, these seem to show better promise than the Nosler's. I kept the OAL's of the Hornady's to the max of the book.

So....Do you keep the Hornady OAL at the recommended MAX or do you seat 'em a bit longer if your chamber has the room?

I think I may send for a box of the hornady 165 grains just to see how they "fly".

But....'afore I do that I'll work a bit more with these 150gr.SST's.

Dave

Ranch 13

Posted: August 01 2008 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

I have to seat for the magazine length on these 2 rifles.
I'll bore you with a little story on seating depth. Friend of mine got a Ruger#1 varminter in 308, got all the accuracy toys the experts say you need to make super accurate loads. Before all the stuff arrived he dug into some of his duty ammo, which was federal match. The thing shot like a house afire.
When all the seating depth tools arrived he proceeded to do everything just like he had read the big boys on the Inet, and the magazines say you should. Well the thing shot close to an improved modified pattern
He was plumd distraught, as he told me his tale of horror, and shame. I asked him why didn't he just try seating to the same depth and col as the federal match ammo?
Well he did that, and don't you know ,that thing came back to being the iddydiddy group shooter it started out to be.
Moral of the story? Hard telling what col a given rifle and load is going to like best. that's half the fun of reloading, finding that sweet spot.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version