Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Reduced recoil for 30-30 Winchester Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
specter
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 06 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote specter

I'm interested in making some reduced recoil loads for my Winchester 94 30-30. The 150gr factory loads are quite punchy from this 6 pound rifle making it rather uncomfortable to shoot more than a few times. I'm looking for any load data that others have used for this purpose because I love this gun and want to shoot it more often without bruising my shoulder. Granted, the steel butt-plate doesn't make it any more pleasant.

The future will soon be a thing of the past.
Back to Top View specter's Profile Search for other posts by specter

Lurker

Posted: November 06 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

specter wrote:
I'm interested in making some reduced recoil loads for my Winchester 94 30-30. The 150gr factory loads are quite punchy from this 6 pound rifle making it rather uncomfortable to shoot more than a few times. I'm looking for any load data that others have used for this purpose because I love this gun and want to shoot it more often without bruising my shoulder. Granted, the steel butt-plate doesn't make it any more pleasant.

Get a PAST Magnum recoil shield. The PAST Magnum recoil shield fits in front of our shoulder, not on the rifle. The sheild is filled with a gell type of material that soaks up the recoil.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/

I use on against a shoulder that has been severly damaged by nine major surgeries. It works well for me...

Bill
Back to Top View Lurker's Profile Search for other posts by Lurker

txpete

Posted: November 06 2008 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote txpete

I use it also when "winding" up loads for the 375 win and 45/70 marlin.I shot a box of 375's today no problem it works.
pete

DAV

Back to Top View txpete's Profile Search for other posts by txpete

joed

Posted: November 06 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote joed

Just hike your dress up a bit and use your purse as a cushion.

Just had to do that, sorry.   

Anyway, make that another vote for the Past recoil shield. I have one for my .300 H&H Mag. Without it this rifle will loosen the fillings in your teeth.

I'd probably have the same complaint with my 94 but I rarely shoot it.

JoeD
Back to Top View joed's Profile Search for other posts by joed Visit joed's Homepage

FALPhil

Posted: November 06 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote FALPhil

10 grains of Unique under a 150 grain bullet. I would suggest polyester filler between the powder and the bullet. It will get you about 900 fps and is a great plinking round.

Edited by FALPhil on November 07 2008 at 8:05am

Lurker

Posted: November 06 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

joed wrote:
Just hike your dress up a bit and use your purse as a cushion.

<snip>

JoeD

That was really funny...

Bill

Paul5388

Posted: November 06 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Steve,

For reduced loads it might be a good idea to try some cast bullets. I'm using a Lyman 311291 gas checked bullet with 15.0-16.0 gr of 2400 and it shoots real good. Of course, I don't have a 94, it's a Handi rifle, but the principle is the same for either one.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Rod WMG

Posted: November 06 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

I thought I was the only sissy around here.

.22 rimfire doesn't bother me, but the .30-30 in my 94 does, as does my Rem. .243 600, as does...well, you get the idea.

I don't let it stop me and shoot the heavy kickers too, but I'm no recoil junky.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

preventec47

Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote preventec47

Step number one and I am surprised no one
mentioned it is to lower the weight of the
bullet.
You didnt say the purpose of your
shooting but if plinking you can use the
30 cal pistol bullets.
All the way down to 90 grains I think
but certainly much less than 150. 120 or
110 would produce a big improvement.

You can deal with blistering velocities
or back the speed down as well.
Shock absorbing materials either on the
gun or on the shoulder will of course
help obviously. For my big kickers, I took
a slip on recoil pad PLUS I cut out a stock
butt pattern out of some gymnastic mat foam
rubber about 1.5 inch thick and I inserted
that into the slip on recoil pad. So now
it is real cushy. I'm kind of tall with long
arms and the increase in the Length of Pull
is not objectionable. Of course you can also
position a piece of foam rubber inside your
shirt over the front of your shoulder to act
as padding.
Back to Top View preventec47's Profile Search for other posts by preventec47

M700

Posted: November 07 2008 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote M700

I thought the .30-30 was a reduced recoil cartridge???
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

STCM(SW)

Posted: November 07 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

M700 wrote:
I thought the .30-30 was a reduced recoil cartridge???

LMAO!

Ed Harris

Posted: November 07 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

A reduced recoil factory hunting load for the .30-30 which works OK for deer is the 125-gr. Federal.

If you reload you can approximate the performance of the Federal load very closely using either the Sierra 125-gr. FNHP or the 130-gr. Speer FN SP and either 28 grs. of 4198 or 30 grs. of RL-7.

Another handload which works well is 15 grs. of #2400 loaded behind any jacketed softpoint or JHP bullet from 110-170 grs. This approximates the energy of high velocity 1892 Winchester loads for the .32-20 with the lighter bullets and the .32-40 Winchester with the heavier ones. This charge of #2400 works very well with cast gaschecked bullets in the same weight range.

A good small game load for the .30-30 is to use the 110-gr. Speer Varminter JHP bullet and 6 grains of whatever fast burning pistol or shotgun powder you may have lying around. Bullseye, 700-X, Red Dot, Green Dot, 231, 7625, Unique, PB will all work. Velocity will be about 1200 f.p.s. with the faster powders and about 1000 fp.s. with the slower ones. Six grains of Bullseye is a maximum load, but the same amount of Unique or PB is the lightest load which will get a jacketed bullet out the barrel reliably.

DO NOT increase the 6 grain charge if using Bullseye, Red Dot or 700-X

It is OK to increase the Green Dot or 231 charge by no more than one grain, or Unique or PB by not more than 2 grains, if desired. These charges will work fine with plainbased cast bullets or gaschecked-design bullets cast of softer alloy, such as wheelweights, tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and loaded without the GC.

Makes for inexpensive, pleasant plinking.

Edited by Ed Harris on November 07 2008 at 7:28am

Regards, Ed
Back to Top View Ed Harris's Profile Search for other posts by Ed Harris

richhodg66

Posted: November 07 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

For my son's .30-30 deer rifle, I loaded some Sierra (I think) 130 grain spitzers and loded to fairly low velocity. Probably has the strength of a 7.62x39 round. The rifle is a Handi Rifle, so I can get away with the pointy bullets, if that doesn't work for you, the 110 grain round nosed bullets for the .30 Carbine oughta do.

I'd go with a basic 170 grain flat or round nosed cast bullet and light charges of pistol powder. .30-30 works well with them and they're cheap to shoot.

Mine is a standar model 94, and I don't find the recoil from that very bothersome with full power loads during a range session, but I never fired 100 rounds at a sitting or anything like that. Good luck with it.

-Warren Zevon
Back to Top View richhodg66's Profile Search for other posts by richhodg66

Ed Harris

Posted: November 07 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

FALPhil wrote:
10 grains of Bullseye under a 150 grain bullet. I would suggest polyester filler between the powder and the bullet. It will get you about 900 fps and is a great plinking round.

Please NO more than 6.0 (SIX!) grains of Bullseye in the .30-30! Ten would be a blow-up load!/

Edited by Ed Harris on November 07 2008 at 7:19am

Regards, Ed

M700

Posted: November 07 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote M700

Specter - I was just having a little fun - completely understand the desire to reduce recoil. You've gotten some good suggestions. When I look to reduce recoil of any load I first attack the bullet weight, dropping it to the lightest bullets that will do what I need them to accomplish. I'd look at the various 125 & 130 grain bullets avail, and load them to bottom level charges shown in the various manuals. It's worked in any of the cartridges I've tried.

I just like to poke fun at the little .30-30 because it's such a cool little old cartridge that keeps handling big chores.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Rocky Raab

Posted: November 07 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

I've written of this numerous times, but there's always a new guy around, so with the forgiveness of those who have read this a gazillion times...

THE outstanding plinking load is one I call the Universal 30 Load.

In any .30-caliber cartridge with a case capacity of the .30-30 and larger, load 10.0 Unique under the Speer or Hornady 100-gr half-jacket "Plinker" bullet. It is extremely accurate, suitable for small game, close-in varminting or just plain fun. Smaller shooters and the recoil-intolerant love it. In fact, if you let your kids shoot it, you may never leave your reloading bench again.

In substantially larger cases (30-06 and up) you can up the charge to 12.0 grains if you like, but the regular 10.0 will still work just fine.

Details: Size as you prefer, FL or neck. Standard primers, either large rifle or large pistol work fine. You do not need fillers of any kind, but if you insist, a small tuft of Dacron won't hurt anything. Do NOT use cereal fillers. Seat the bullet until just a tiny bit of the jacket is still visible above the mouth. If you prefer to add a crimp, seat it just a hair deeper and crimp right on the tapered edge of the bullet jacket. The pure lead roundnose is perfectly safe in tube-fed lever guns.

FALPhil

Posted: November 07 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote FALPhil

Ed Harris wrote:

Please NO more than 6.0 (SIX!) grains of Bullseye in the .30-30! Ten would be a blow-up load!/

Sorry. My bad. I meant UNIQUE. Good catch. I have edited my original post.

Here is the link:
http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Universal%2030.htm

Ed Harris

Posted: November 07 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

FALPhil wrote:
Sorry. My bad. I meant UNIQUE. Good catch. I have edited my original post. Here is the link: ttp://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Universal%2030.htm

Go forth young man and sin no more

Regards, Ed

Rocky Raab

Posted: November 07 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

Thanks for the link to my page and article, FALPhil. I would like to say, however, that nowhere in that article do I suggest using 150-gr bullets with that load.

It may indeed be safe, I admit, but it isn't in that article.

Lurker

Posted: November 07 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Lurker

M700 wrote:

<snip>

I just like to poke fun at the little .30-30 because it's such a cool little old cartridge that keeps handling big chores.

Regards, Guy

Almost all center-fire rifles equipped with a stock that has as much drop, as a lever gun, Will belt you quiet nicely.

I bought my first Marlin, pistol caliber lever gun, in 1973. It is chambered in 44 Remington Magnum. It's a pretty rifle called the 1894 Octagon. It has a shotgun butt plate, no recoil pad. It still doesn't have a recoil pad on it.

All fat, dumb and happy, I took it to the range to sight it in. First, I thought I would bang away a little bit to get the feel of the rifle. Standing, I shouldered it for the first shot. I didn't hold it particularly tight, because I didn't think a 44 Magnum, a 240 gr pistol round, would recoil much in a heavier rifle.

I fired the first shot and, "Damn Sam," where did all of that recoil come from...? It felt like I had been kicked by a mule...!

I held it properly for the second shot and it wasn't as bad as the first shot.

The rifle and I started getting along really good after that, just as long as I held it tight to the shoulder and set up straight when shooting the rifle from the bench.

Setting low as possible, and as straight as possible, if you're shooting from the bench, helps reduce felt recoil, because the movement your body acts to spread out the felt recoil, such as a shock absorber on a vehicle will do.

Lean hunched over the rifle, crawl forward on the stock, and you're in for an experience.

Standing up, I shoot any rifle with the left foot (I'm right handed) slightly forward, with my weight slightly forward, balanced on the balls of my feet. This way, your whole body moves with the recoil of the rifle and felt recoil is even less.

Now, because of nine surgeries on my right shoulder with the attendent loss of bone mass and the muscle pad on the front of the shoulder, I use the PAST MAGNUM recoil shield. I get along pretty well using the PAST recoil shield.

Bill

Edited by Lurker on November 07 2008 at 10:26am

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version