Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Lee .311 Round ball mould. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Whiskey Brother

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 03 2004 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Whiskey Brother

I'm not exactly sure what possessed me too, but I just won this mould on ebay.

I don't even have a black powder gun...

I think it's because I've been messin' with that Japanese Arisaka in .311, although using a round ball in a Japanese rifle seems kinda absurd.

Oh well, I can always load 'em in the 12 gauge for close encounters...
Back to Top View Whiskey Brother's Profile Search for other posts by Whiskey Brother

chunkum

Posted: May 10 2004 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote chunkum

You can for sure. Way back when the world was new, and polyethelene powder had just been added to buckshot loads to prevent deformity upon ignition of the charge, I got the notion that if three buck shot fit perfectly inside the tightest part of the choke of a shotgun, and were moulded of a hardened alloy (commercial buckshot is swaged from soft lead) AND packed in the polyethelene, that you'd have a better buckshot. I measured the tightest choke on one shotgun, did some geometry and found the right diameter for the buckshot. The Lyman mould nearest to it was .313 (just a little larger than yours). I bought one and created the load (first ones used corn meal as a filler) with a Lee Loader. And performance was greatly improved over commercial. So, you are correct as to one application, anyway.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

gpannicke

Posted: May 10 2004 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote gpannicke

You also have a good excuse to buy a black powder gun - to fit the mold, of course.

-G
Back to Top View gpannicke's Profile Search for other posts by gpannicke

Whiskey Brother

Posted: May 10 2004 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Whiskey Brother

After a little research on the subject by digging through my back issues of Handloaders Digest, I see it IS possible to load this for use in a rifle. It was probably my subconcious brain that made me bid...

(Well, that and the $5.00 price tag...)
Back to Top View Whiskey Brother's Profile Search for other posts by Whiskey Brother

frontstuffers

Posted: May 10 2004 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote frontstuffers

I was told that it is also a good little ball to put in a .32. Either short, long, or mag. The guy I talked to told me it made a great rat killer. Who knows, you may have just opened the door to a whole new world of fun.

Just a for what it's worth.

Bill

Whiskey Brother

Posted: May 10 2004 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Whiskey Brother

That's what I was thinking. Saving cash while reloading is one of the things that brought me into this game.
I already have my .45 ACPs down to about $1.00 a box, why not shoot the rifles with cast bullets too?

There is a great article on loading .45 ACP rounds with a ball in either the 4th or 5th edition of Handloaders Digest. He said they make great bullets for the .45 ACP and used the same mould to load two projectiles in one .45 Colt chambering. This sounds like a good idea with the .44 Magnum too, with an appropriate size ball.

Another thing I've learned is about paper patching bullets. I'm still sort of messing with the procedure with the paper thicknesses and bullet wrapping, but if I get five to group decently I will let everyone know...

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version