Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 6.5 Creedmoor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rockman

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 18 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rockman

Just looking at the latest NRA magazine and saw the included article on this round.It looks a lot like the round my old Japanese Type 38 shoots!Anyone here shooting this round?
Back to Top View Rockman's Profile Search for other posts by Rockman

Paul5388

Posted: February 18 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Milton,

What I read indicated it's a .260 Rem shortened by .11", so the longer bullets can be used in short actions. I don't think I've finished the whole article yet and may not finish it.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Buffalogun

Posted: February 18 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Milton,

As far as performance, I don't see it doing anything that my M70 6.5x55 won't. I can use up to 160gr. bullets with no adjustments to the case length.

If I ever feel that I need more horsepower from my 6.5x55 I'll try to get it rechambered to the "6.5x55 Improved Arch".

The bad thing about these new Hornady designed cartridges is Hornady usually uses a proprietary powder that isn't available to us handloaders, so we may have a difficult time reaching the same performance as factory.

Mike

M700

Posted: February 18 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Count me as very interested at this point. When I shoot out my current .308 barrel, a 6.5 of one kind or another is high on the list. I had been seriously considering the .260 Rem, but there are a few drawbacks with which my fellow match shooters have had to deal. The 6.5 Hornady reportedly "fixes" these problem areas. Ballistic performance is very close to the same.

Either the .260 or this new 6.5 is a very interesting alternative to the .308 for match shooters. Less wind drift, flatter shooting (more important in match shooting than many believe) and lower recoil - all without the excessive barrel throat erosion problems of the hot 6mm match cartridges.

Interestingly, Hornady specifies their load, of H4350, on each box of cartridges. One of the key players in the design of this cartridge is Dennis DeMille, a retired Marine and extremely accomplished match shooter. I've heard that he insisted this cartridge be not only match grade accurate in factory form, but also be able to be handloaded to the same specs.

It's a little early to say, I've probably got another year or so of life left in this .308 barrel, but a 6.5 Creedmoor is high on my list of potential replacement cartridges... I think it would be dandy for match shooting, as well as for a combination varmint and mid-range deer rifle.

Regards, Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Roudy

Posted: February 18 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Roudy

M700,

Since you are going to be flexible with cartridge choice when you get a new barrel you might want to consider a 6.5mm-06. This is a wildcat with a 30-06 case necked down to 6.5mm. Many years ago a friend of mine built a 6mm-06 and it would shoot tiny, tiny groups.

Roudy

M700

Posted: February 19 2009 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote M700

Won't work in my short-action Remington. I need a cartridge with an over all length of no more than about 2.8" like the .308 Win.

The 6.5-06 is a neat cartridge though.

richhodg66

Posted: February 19 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

M700 wrote:
Count me as very interested at this point. When I shoot out my current .308 barrel, a 6.5 of one kind or another is high on the list. I had been seriously considering the .260 Rem, but there are a few drawbacks with which my fellow match shooters have had to deal. The 6.5 Hornady reportedly "fixes" these problem areas. Ballistic performance is very close to the same.

Either the .260 or this new 6.5 is a very interesting alternative to the .308 for match shooters. Less wind drift, flatter shooting (more important in match shooting than many believe) and lower recoil - all without the excessive barrel throat erosion problems of the hot 6mm match cartridges.

Interestingly, Hornady specifies their load, of H4350, on each box of cartridges. One of the key players in the design of this cartridge is Dennis DeMille, a retired Marine and extremely accomplished match shooter. I've heard that he insisted this cartridge be not only match grade accurate in factory form, but also be able to be handloaded to the same specs.

It's a little early to say, I've probably got another year or so of life left in this .308 barrel, but a 6.5 Creedmoor is high on my list of potential replacement cartridges... I think it would be dandy for match shooting, as well as for a combination varmint and mid-range deer rifle.

Regards, Guy

What are the drawbacks to the .260, Guy? I'm curious, I've about come to the conclusion it's the perfect rifle cartridge for deer hunting.

-Warren Zevon
Back to Top View richhodg66's Profile Search for other posts by richhodg66

Rockman

Posted: February 19 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rockman

Buffalogun,I have always liked the 6.5x55 round but all I have are the old Swedish Mauser's.Do you get much more out of that M70?I would think you should get 270 power with that rifle!

Buffalogun

Posted: February 20 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Buffalogun

Rockman,

You've got the right idea. Most manuals show the safe pressure limits of the cartridge when fired in the Swedish Mauser rifles to be around 45,000 cup. In my 47th Lyman manual the 129gr Hornady bullet is shown at a velocity just shy of 2,800 fps. when fired from the 18" barrel of what they call a "Swedish Military Carbine", that I take to mean a Model 94 Swede.

In my M70 I use a load with the 129gr Hornady over a charge of H380 that produces over 2,900 fps. That load treads closely on the heels of the 270 Win. And, I'd use that load for anything I'd use the 130gr 270 Win for.

I like the cartridge, a lot.

Mike

Rockman

Posted: February 20 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rockman

Thank you Mike! I know a lot of people who say that the 6.5x55 is "weak" but most of that talk is "well somebody told me that".It is hardly ever from experience!The Swede is a great cartridge!

M700

Posted: February 21 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote M700

"What are the drawbacks to the .260, Guy? I'm curious, I've about come to the conclusion it's the perfect rifle cartridge for deer hunting."

Richdog - it's only my match shooting buddies who go through 1500 - 3000+ rounds every year who have had some trouble with the .260 Rem. The cartridge became real popular in NRA highpower/match rifles a few years back, as a replacement for the .308 Win. Advantages were of course; lower recoil and better performance in the wind.

They all ran into problems with poor quality control on the Remington factory .260 brass.

To get around that they bought higher quality .308 Win brass and necked it down. This worked well, but they often had problems with the dreaded doughnut forming in the case neck etc...

Not huge drawbacks, but enough that the .260 became something of a flash in the pan in match shooting circles here. Okay, but not impressive enough to stay on top. A myriad of other cartridges in 6mm and 6.5mm have been tried over the past few years, seeking that "perfect" balance and this 6.5 Creedmoor from Hornady is just one more. Advantages is may have over the .260 appear to be mostly small, not overwhelming. The advantages touted by Hornady and DeMille (whom I respect greatly) are not ballistic advantages, but a better case design. We'll have to see if it becomes The Cartridge" of choice for any length of time.

For years and years it seemed like the .308 was the be-all, do-all highpower match cartridge, but in recent times there is a seemingly non-stop search going on for the "best" match cartridge. Best being a balance of barrel life, ballistics, ease of loading, availability of high quality components, tolerable recoil & muzzle blast, etc...

I'm not wedded to any particular alternative, as I seem pretty well stuck on my .308 for most of my match shooting. I do get thumped pretty regularly when I try to compete on the 600 yard line with guys who are shooting the newer 6mm & 6.5mm match cartridges with their high BC bullets. It's probably still a case of the better shooter prevailing though - I just like to blame it on their cool, high BC 6mm & 6.5mm bullets. Shooting a .308 gives me a great excuse!

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version