Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Blue Dot, 10mm, and Pistols Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Hobie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 08 2004 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Hobie

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to get an idea of how my loads using the maximum manual charge of Blue Dot in the 10mm Auto case (10.4 gr.) and the 180 gr. Hornady XTP bullet compare to others when fired in the pistol barrels.

If you would, could you post your velocity figures for your Blue Dot 180 gr. bullet loads? I would also like to know the barrel length and charge weight.

Thank you.
Back to Top View Hobie's Profile Search for other posts by Hobie Visit Hobie's Homepage

Magnum Murray

Posted: May 08 2004 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Magnum Murray

Hobie--

I can't help you with Max velocities. I can tell you that I have been loading 10mm for for 13 yrs. I use B.Dot and have loaded the 180 XTP. I use 10.0g and have achieved very good results out of my 1911A1 pistols. the barrel lengths are standard. The book lets you go higher than 10.o g but I found this to be accurate with a ragged hole in the target at 25 yds. You did not say whether you plan to shoot your XTP's out of a semi auto or a revolver. I am sure you can go higher with the powder charge in the revolver (especially the BH .38-40/10mm). Nice to see another 10mm fan on the forum . My best reslts are out of the SA Omega which I do not shoot that often

Hobie

Posted: May 08 2004 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Hobie

Apparently I wasn't clear. I just want to know the velocity you get with that load. Yours is a near perfect comparison for me.

FWIW, I'm not trying to max anything. I'm not trying to compare guns. I don't care about accuracy at all. I AM trying to compare performance of the same charge in different barrel lengths. For my purposes the type of gun is unimportant.

I can assume that you have a 5" barrel. Do you know what your velocity is?

Thank you.

Edited by Hobie on May 08 2004 at 4:58pm

Hobie
The Stonewall Brigade
Shooting with Hobie
Back to Top View Hobie's Profile Search for other posts by Hobie Visit Hobie's Homepage

Magnum Murray

Posted: May 08 2004 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Magnum Murray

Can't help.-Sorry.

Clark

Posted: May 08 2004 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Clark

Blue Dot is too bulky to get high velocities in 10mm.
I can't get more than 13.25 gr. of Blue Dot with a 200 gr bullet (moderator: This is a huge overcharge and should not be used, max listed by Alliant is 8.9gr) to fit in a 10mm cartridge in 1.3" OAL.
That load is wimpy: low pressure and low velocity.

If you want 10mm to rock, use 800X [I use 14.2 gr 200gr (moderator: This is a huge overcharge and should not be used) ], and if that powder won't meter, use Power Pistol. 3rd is LONGSHOT. Blue Dot is way down there in the 10mm power strugle.

Edited by JohnK on May 09 2004 at 8:15am
Back to Top View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark

Hobie

Posted: May 09 2004 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Hobie

Clark wrote:
Blue Dot is too bulky to get high velocities in 10mm.
I can't get more than 13.25 gr. of Blue Dot with a 200 gr bullet (moderator: This is a huge overcharge and should not be used, max listed by Alliant is 8.9gr) to fit in a 10mm cartridge in 1.3" OAL.
That load is wimpy: low pressure and low velocity.

If you want 10mm to rock, use 800X [I use 14.2 gr 200gr (moderator: This is a huge overcharge and should not be used) ], and if that powder won't meter, use Power Pistol. 3rd is LONGSHOT. Blue Dot is way down there in the 10mm power strugle.

Alliant shows 10.4 gr. with the 180 gr. jacketed for 35K CUP and approx 1200 fps, presumably from a 5" barrel. How is that way down on the list. IME, Blue Dot is the powder for the 10mm Auto.

HOWEVER, that is not the purpose of my question. I want to know what velocities other shooters are getting with Blue Dot in their barrels. I'm interested in seeing how much the bore expansion ratio of this particular cartridge with this particular powder affects velocity in different length barrels.

Edited by Hobie on May 09 2004 at 9:25am

Hobie
The Stonewall Brigade
Shooting with Hobie

Hobie

Posted: May 10 2004 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Hobie

Well I had an interesting day today. I took out the Blue Dot load which I had yet to chronograph. I got 1271 fps with an AD of 23 fps and an SD of 32. It was pretty accurate even to 150 yards but much slower than expected.

Why? Because I can use the old BullX 180 TC over just 10 gr. of Blue Dot and get 1510 fps!

Since nobody wanted to answer my question (or couldn't), I thought I'd let you know what I'm doing. I'm trying to match/duplicate the .38-40 rifle in my 14" Contender barrel for the 10mm Auto. I see that with this cartridge the bore-expansion ratio must be such that lengthening the barrel doesn't do a whole lot for velocity. A 5" barrel we have access to does almost exactly the same velocity as my barrel with all loads!

Hobie
The Stonewall Brigade
Shooting with Hobie

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version