Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: 30 Mauser Load Data Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
farmall

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote farmall

Got my new mold from Midway, a Lee 311-100-2R. Cast up a few hundred and sized them nicely at .311. Then the problem reared its ugly head.....I can't find any load data for a 100gn cast bullet in 30 Mauser.
Anyone have any load data for this?
Andy

Ed Harris

Posted: March 09 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

With cast bullets in the Broomhandle use the lightest charge which will cycle the action reliably. Start with 4.5 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup, Red Dot or 700-X not exceeding 5 grains maximum. Velocity is 1050-1200 f.p.s. depending upon bullet weight. I had good results with the .312 Meister 94-gr. LFN bullet intended for the .32 H&R Magnum. Also good is the NEI #82 cherried short and lightened to 95 grains.

Regards, Ed
Back to Top View Ed Harris's Profile Search for other posts by Ed Harris

farmall

Posted: March 09 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote farmall

Thanks, Ed. Thought I's try this Lee bullet first. I cant believe how nice these cast. I sized them .311, since that is the only sizer die I have that comes close. I'll start with the 4.5 of Bullseye.
Andy

Rex

Posted: March 09 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Rex

Andy,
My old Phil Sharpe book lists 86 grain metal clad bullet olny. It gives from 5.0-7.0 grain range for that bullet and Bullseye. I would think the load you and Ed are discussing would be very reasonable.
I wanted to do some casting today myself but it is in the upper 20's here with wind, doube my fire would keep the lead pot warm let alone melt anything.
Rex
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Ed Harris

Posted: March 09 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

Back when Hornady used to make a proper 93-gr. FMJ bullet for the .30 Mauser and .30 Luger we used to load 6 grs. of Bullseye. I think that the 7 grs. listed in Sharpe's 1937 book may be a bit warm, but most of the data back then was not pressure tested. Knowing that these guns are over 100 years old and many being of questionable history and metallurgy, I would keep the loads light. If the starting load of 4.5 grains doesn't cycle I would increase the charge 0.2 grain and try again, and increase the load no more than necessary.

A friend has a Sako Vixen bolt-action carbine chambered for the .30 Mauser and uses load data for the .32 H&R Magnum as a guide. The .30 Mauser case is of slightly greater capacity and operates at higher pressure, so this is a generally safe approach for other powders, lacking more specific loading data.

Regards, Ed
Back to Top View Ed Harris's Profile Search for other posts by Ed Harris

farmall

Posted: March 09 2009 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote farmall

Thank you, Ed. You are a wealth of knowlege. I have a few hundred of the Hornady bullets of which you speak. But from what I've heard, I'll stick with my cast for now..6-7gn Bullseye sounds a bit warm. I cant stand the thought of doing anything that would harm it. Light loads only for me.

Rex, try to stay warm. Makes me glad I can cast in our garage. Friday night/saturday morning (lost track of time and didn't quit casting till 3:00 AM) it was still 65 degrees. Woke up about 9:30 Sat. and felt like I had gone out on an all night bender. Guess the sleep patterns really ARE important!
Andy

Rex

Posted: March 09 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Rex

Andy, I worked a rotating shift for 33 years, changed every week. This week I've been getting up at 2-3 in the morning and I've been retired for 8 years!
Rex
Back to Top View Rex's Profile Search for other posts by Rex

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version