Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Vihtavuori N-110 ....new info , Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
yaines
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote yaines

On the Lapua website .....N-110 is posted under rifle powder , that's why I thought it was discontinued or that the # was changed. I don't get why it's posted as a rifle powder ...MAYBE a shotgun powder but not a rifle powder guess those Finlandias made an error or sumpin.

dwmurphy

Posted: March 12 2009 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote dwmurphy

It was my understanding that the N-100 series was always considered "rifle" powders with N-105 and N110 being the fastest burning of the lot. Most all powder manufacturers have rifle powders that will cross over into the pistol powder realm.

Welcome to the website.

Edited by dwmurphy on March 12 2009 at 4:22pm

yaines
Newcomer

Posted: March 12 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote yaines

Thanks for the help Murphy , I like N-110 in .44 mag. & was a little bit worried that it had been discontinued or # was changed.

WiskyT

Posted: March 12 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote WiskyT

WW296/Hodgdon110 were originally made for the 30 Carbine. If n110 is based on that powder, maybe that's why they consider it a "rifle" powder. Maybe they should call it a carbine powder!

dwmurphy

Posted: March 13 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote dwmurphy

yaines wrote:
Thanks for the help Murphy , I like N-110 in .44 mag. & was a little bit worried that it had been discontinued or # was changed.

I hope not.

I use N-110 in my 22Hornet, 357Maximum, 357Magnum, and 45WinMag. I need to get another bottle soon, I like it so much better than H-110 as it doesn't feel as harsh when I shoot it.

Posted: March 20 2009 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote 45

I really like the Vihtavuori N105 and N110 powders, and have been using them for about 10 years now in several cartridges including all magnum pistol/revolver ctgs., plus .22 K Hornet

I believe that Vihtavuori has always designated their N110 powder as their fastest 'rifle' powder. That really does not matter. Its burn rate and loading data are very close to 2400 {when used with std. primers also}

N110 and N105 definitely do NOT want a magnum primer -- standard primers are the way to go, and N110 has a lot more flexibility than the 296/H-110 powders, in that you can load less than max loads, and the only difference will be a loss of velocity. That said, I usually only use a 2.0 grain spread between my 'light' magnum loads and my max. magnum loads. For example, in .45 Colt +P loads, with a cast 255 gr. SWC from Oregon Trail, my std. load is 20.0 grains of N110, and my max. is 22.2 grains of N110. Lately, I have been staying with my std./light magnum loads, which are 90 to 95% of my personal max. loads. I find that beats up me and my guns a lot less.

I believe you will find that you really like the Vihtavuori powders. That's all I have loaded with for over 10 years, except for the odd can of powder a friend has given me from time to time -- I usually cannot ignore free powder, however, sometimes I am so stuck on my Vihtavuori load for a particular handgun, that I have refused some free powder from a friend who no longer loaded with it.

/
Back to Top View 45's Profile Search for other posts by 45

Rock

Posted: March 20 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Rock

I agree with you 100% on the Vihtavuori powders, I have been using them for years and for certain calibers there is just no substitute that I have found. They may be a little more expensive and harder to find but for me it is all worth it when I consider all the performance benefits.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version