Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: Lee R.E.A.L. 45 cal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
35wailer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote 35wailer

Anyone have experience with the Lee R.E.A.L molds? From what I've read, they're fairly easy to get down the pipe and shoot accurately out of the slower twist rifles.

I've got an early 80's H&R Huntsman muzzleloaders that I shot patch and ball out of for years. Eventually went to the newer inlines and started shooting saboted rounds and the H&R eventually got put back in the cabinet. Now I'm wanting to get it back out and start using it again and now that I've started casting just thought that maybe I could find a good conical mold that would do well with the old rifle and its slow twist. Don't really want to go back to the ball unless its my only option but no intentions of shooting saboted bullets either.

Pete D.

Posted: March 14 2009 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Pete D.

I have used both the .45 and .50 REAL bullets. They cast easily, load easily and are accurate. The slowest barrel that I have shot them in is 1-48. I am wondering now whether they might shoot OK from a slower RB twist like 1-72.
Pete

The_Shadow

Posted: March 14 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

I have shot some soft lead from my Winchester APEX 45cal 1-28" with good results, I have only got to shoot one out of my Kentucky Cap Lock 1-48, they loaded up fairly easy with a little bore butter on them. I use an aluminum range rod for most of my loading, I want to be careful with wooden rods like the on on the Kentucky Cap Lock as they could be stressed.

My next batch I may add a little bit of wheel weights to make them a little harder.

All the local stores quit handling the 45 caliber bullets so I'm glad I got the LEE REAL mould.

Next year I will try to get a deer with the Kentucky using the 200gr REAL bullets.

I bought like 1200 Harvester sabots 45cal which hold the .400" bullets and cast 10mm/.400" bullets anyway, 175gr which are neat to practice with too.

I usually hunt with the Power Belt bullets but this year I took a deer with the Hornady XTP 200gr, in the Harvester sabot.

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

35wailer

Posted: March 14 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote 35wailer

I've tried the powerbelts in that rifle with good results except it ain't easy getting down the barrel. Saboted .357 pistol bullets worked fairly good as well except those sabots are pretty hard to come by and all the .40 cal bullets I've tried keyhole out of the rifle at close range no matter the powder charge I put behind them.

So I figured if I could get a light cast bullet that would fit the bore and twist would be the best and cheapest way. Last I checked on the twist, it ran somewhere in the range between 1-48" to 1-52". Couldn't get an exact on it but somewhere along those lines.

Looks like I'll be pickin' one up for sure. Maybe the combo that cast a bullet and ball. Already using .44 cal cast in a sabot for the .50 cal. For $20, why not?

Edited by 35wailer on March 14 2009 at 5:23pm

Ronnieboy

Posted: March 18 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

I real ly like mine, pun intended,    i use the 50 cal model,   their easy to mould and easier to load,   just bore butter to suit and stuff,   a dose of 777 and it goes bang with authority,    i've had good accuracy too, recommend it heartily,      the encore i have has a inch of freebore in the muzzle to center the bullets with,   works great,     ron

Edited by Ronnieboy on March 18 2009 at 12:45pm

Verniersight

Posted: April 04 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Verniersight

Last year I bought 100 of the 320gr .50cal R.E.A.L. bullets from one of the forum member here. I liked them so much that I bought my own mould for them. They shoot very well out of my Traditions Deerhunter with a 1 in 48 twist. I use bore butter, and they do go in easy. As a plus the ribs on the bullet make it self centering which help accuracy.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

"I'm not perfect, I'm just the best there is." Bob Munden
Back to Top View Verniersight's Profile Search for other posts by Verniersight Visit Verniersight's Homepage

scrat

Posted: April 13 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote scrat

i have the 320gr .50cal. they are really sweet. lubed up with bore butter. they load pretty easy. do not require a huge amount of powder to give you a decent shot. Awesome bullet design

Mike_Goldstein

Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mike_Goldstein

The_Shadow wrote:
I have shot some soft lead from my Winchester APEX 45cal 1-28" with good results, I have only got to shoot one out of my Kentucky Cap Lock 1-48, they loaded up fairly easy with a little bore butter on them. I use an aluminum range rod for most of my loading, I want to be careful with wooden rods like the on on the Kentucky Cap Lock as they could be stressed.

My next batch I may add a little bit of wheel weights to make them a little harder.

All the local stores quit handling the 45 caliber bullets so I'm glad I got the LEE REAL mould.

Next year I will try to get a deer with the Kentucky using the 200gr REAL bullets.

I bought like 1200 Harvester sabots 45cal which hold the .400" bullets and cast 10mm/.400" bullets anyway, 175gr which are neat to practice with too.

I usually hunt with the Power Belt bullets but this year I took a deer with the Hornady XTP 200gr, in the Harvester sabot.

Shadow,

Which one do you think would shoot better in my 1 in 48 twist 50 cal, the 320 gr or the shorter 250 gr Lee REAL bullets?
Back to Top View Mike_Goldstein's Profile Search for other posts by Mike_Goldstein

The_Shadow

Posted: April 14 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Mike, That twist rate would handle either one of those weights, if you want speed the lighter 250 would be good for deer or hogs. If you were to go for buffalo, elk, moose or bear the heavier 320 would be the better choice.

I'm not sure what you actually want to do but either should work well.

I thought you cast 45 caliber bullets, if you do or want to shoot them from the 50cal muzzle loader try this site for sabots;
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

Best of luck and let me know how you make out!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version