Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Cast bullets in an SKS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Roudy

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2009 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Roudy

I know there has been discussion of folks using cast bullets in semi auto rifles before and I want to try some in my SKS. One issue that I just have trouble wrapping my mind around has to do with the buildup of lead in the gas port of the barrel. I have these visions of the port eventually closing up to a point that I end up with a manually operated SKS.

If I use cast bullets I plan on using gas checks, will these gas checks keep the port clean? Is there any unique cleaning procedure that will keep the gas port open? Will lead accumulate in the gas tube?

Roudy

Ed Harris

Posted: April 10 2009 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

The gas port clogging is usually not a problem, because port pressure is high enough to keep the opening clear. What happens is that lead residue entering the gas system may cause binding of the piston and cause sluggish operation. The SKS and AK function with cast bullets just fine, you just need to disassemble, clean and lubricate them afterwards. If you shoot enough rounds at a high enough rate of fire, and then let it cool, you can literally solder the gun together. But these rifles are soldier proof and designed to handle abuse, so just stand it on the ground and stomp on the operating handle with your size 14 combat boot and go back to work. I use Ed's Red bore cleaner and steel wool to clean lead residue from the interior of the gas cylinder and the head of the piston. Lubricate the piston and gas cylinder lightly with ATF, reassemble and you are good to go. Good cast bullet load is Lee .312-155-2R and 15 grs. of #2400.

Regards, Ed
Back to Top View Ed Harris's Profile Search for other posts by Ed Harris

Roudy

Posted: April 10 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Roudy

Ed,
Thanks for the information. I have a 130 grain bullet mold that I'll probably try first and if that isn't accurate I'll get the 155 grain.

What type of groups do you typically get? Not that the SKS is a match grade rifle, but is 3-4 inches at 100 yards an unreasonable goal?

Roudy

Ed Harris

Posted: April 10 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Ed Harris

Average SKS is a 4-5 m.o.a. gun with milsurp ammo. With cast loads I have been able to improve on that some and 3-4 m.o.a. is a reasonable expectation with bullets that fit properly and balanced loads which function the rifle with no more vigor than necessary.

Regards, Ed
Back to Top View Ed Harris's Profile Search for other posts by Ed Harris

WiskyT

Posted: April 10 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote WiskyT

The gas system on an SKS is so easy to clean I think you could do it with a pocket knife if you had to. All the parts are nice and big and come apart easy. The port is big and is a straight shot through the elbow with the tube removed. My Norinco came with a cleaning kit that fit in the buttstock. It includes a gas port tool. The tool looks like a cheap version of a common nail.

Leftoverdj

Posted: April 10 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

The cartridge is better than the rifle. It's as cast bullet friendly as anything I have ever used. You can easily get better accuracy with cast bullets than with average milsurp ammo and come close to MOA with a decent bolt action rifle in 7.62X39.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

papabear47

Posted: April 12 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote papabear47

Ed Harris wrote:
The gas port clogging is usually not a problem, because port pressure is high enough to keep the opening clear. What happens is that lead residue entering the gas system may cause binding of the piston and cause sluggish operation. The SKS and AK function with cast bullets just fine, you just need to disassemble, clean and lubricate them afterwards. If you shoot enough rounds at a high enough rate of fire, and then let it cool, you can literally solder the gun together. But these rifles are soldier proof and designed to handle abuse, so just stand it on the ground and stomp on the operating handle with your size 14 combat boot and go back to work. I use Ed's Red bore cleaner and steel wool to clean lead residue from the interior of the gas cylinder and the head of the piston. Lubricate the piston and gas cylinder lightly with ATF, reassemble and you are good to go. Good cast bullet load is Lee .312-155-2R and 15 grs. of #2400.

What Ed said....I shoot gas checked cast bullets out om mine on occasion with no or very little leading.I even re-size steel casings for Red Dot plinker loads and cycle manually....My other cast loads travel at 1800 and 2100+ depending on powder type and charge,I use Lyman cast bullet load data.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version