Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .233 reloading for 1:9 barrel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gotsig?

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 22 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

looking for recommendation on reloading my Rock River AR15 Entry Tactical. It has a 1:9 barrel. I'm new to loading .223's so I need a little help here. I bought a case of PMC ammo and will use that to reload as I eat through it.

Looking for what is the best weight bullet and some powder recommendations. I have Speer and Lymans manuals, but I'm looking for some tried and true recipes shall we say since the manuals aren't always on the mark and don't give a lot (but do give some), barrel twist info :)
Back to Top View gotsig?'s Profile Search for other posts by gotsig?

Papa Bear

Posted: May 22 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Bear

My AR with a 1:9 loves 62gr bullets with H335 and CCI srm primers loaded close to max.

TexIndian

Posted: May 22 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I've been loading 62 and 69 grainers in my relatively new AR with 1:9, but I'm not through working up the 'best' load yet. Powder is 748 with CCI SR magnum primers. 62gr is probably the most often recommended bullet for that twist rate.

If that PMC ammo is like the stuff I bought in the 80's, the primers are crimped in like military brass and needs to have the crimp removed before you can insert new primers. It is a lot like LC in thickness, too. That stuff just doesn't wear out.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

gotsig?

Posted: May 23 2009 at 3:10am | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

Primers are not crimped. Another reason to get the PMC :)

Its interesting to note I've seen some loads with standard rifle primers and some loads with magnum rifle primers.

TexIndian

Posted: May 23 2009 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I've even seen that difference with the same powder from one loading manual to the next. I've used both primer types with ball 748 and got good results either way.

A general rule is that ball powders like the magnum primers while stick powders like the cooler standard powders. That may be more true with the slower burning stick powders used in larger calibers than with the faster ones used in .223, though.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

25-06RT

Posted: May 23 2009 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote 25-06RT

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 1 n 9 twist 20" barrel. My match load is 25.3 grs Varget with a Sierra 69 gr match king, CCI-BR-4 or Wolf mag primer, and it really does not matter which case I use they all seem to shoot about the same. OAL 2.260 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on my loads.
I use this same load on groundhogs and it makes nice golf ball size exists.
Back to Top View 25-06RT's Profile Search for other posts by 25-06RT

Verniersight

Posted: May 23 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Verniersight

I shoot a DPMS 16" with 1 in 9 twist. My load is 23.5gr of Ramshot X-terminator under either the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT or the Hornady 55gr V-max with CCI 400 small rifle primers in LC or WCC mil-spec brass. Accuracy with both is sub-MOA. The 55gr FMJ loads are for practice, and the 55gr V-Max loads are devistating on coyotes.

Edited on 5/24/09. I transposed the numbers for the powder charge on my loads. I am using 23.5gr of X-Terminator. 25.3gr is the max load for the 55gr bullet. If you end up with mil-spec brass you'll want to stay below max because the thicker cases = less capacity. I should have referred to my notes before posting instead of relying on memory.   

Edited by Verniersight on May 24 2009 at 11:54am

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

"I'm not perfect, I'm just the best there is." Bob Munden
Back to Top View Verniersight's Profile Search for other posts by Verniersight Visit Verniersight's Homepage

gotsig?

Posted: May 24 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

Thanks for all the info so far everyone. I'm taking notes.

I can't wait to get on the range just to give it a whirl with the PMC factory stuff first. Between the weather and work I have not made it out in almost two weeks.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version