Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Max Powder for Bullseye 9mm 124g Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
landtoy80

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 30 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote landtoy80

I was having problems with my powder dispenser and would regularly get 4.6g of Bullseye and some times up to 5g.
What is the max for Bullseye and 124g bullet fmj?

I am shooting it out of a Norinco 213 9mm that is a China copy of a TT33 that shoots 7.62x25. The 213 comes in 9mm, 7.62x25 and there are some that came with the conversion kit as a package. You can convert some of the 213 from 9mm to x25 and some you can't. Mine both can convert to x25. So the pistol should be a very strong and should handle hot 9mm loads as the x25 is a hot load.

Pete D.

Posted: May 30 2009 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Pete D.

What does your reloading manual say about the max charge for Bullseye? Where did you get 4.6 grains from?
There are manuals online that can give you precise data. Alliant has one. Just google.
Pete

Edited by Pete D. on May 30 2009 at 5:20pm

BigBlue

Posted: May 30 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Here's a link to Alliant's Reloading Guide. They do list the 124gr. for the 9mm. Just click on: Alliant Reloaders Guide
Hope this helps.
Don

landtoy80

Posted: May 30 2009 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote landtoy80

I didn't find 4.6 anywhere. I set the press to 4.3 but I was getting a large spread in weights.

25-06RT

Posted: May 31 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote 25-06RT

For 9mm Luger mySpeer # 8 manual says 4.8 grs Bulleyes is max with 125 gr bullets. My Speer #10 manual says 4.6 grs Bullseye is max for a 125 gr Jacketed bullet. My Sierra #5 manual says 4.4 grs Bulleseye is the max for 125 gr jacketed bullets. My Hornady #26 manual says 4.2 grs Bullseye is max with 124 - 125 jacket bullets.

When you are operating on the ragged edge with max loads of fast burning flake powder like Bullseye I don't like to use a dump type powder measure. I have found that you can get as much as .5 grs difference in weight. Ball powders work much better about giving constant loads.
Back to Top View 25-06RT's Profile Search for other posts by 25-06RT

landtoy80

Posted: May 31 2009 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote landtoy80

Why is there such a wide range in load date from one Speer manual and from other manual to another?

JoeJack

Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote JoeJack

I believe it has to do with a)difference in test firearms, b)different elevations at which testing is done, c)different atmospheric conditions at any given time of testing at same location, d)variations in manufacuring of bullets being tested, etc, etc, etc....

Bottom line is that all things being equal, you will probably never get consistent results from the same bullet/firearm due to all the variations involved.
Back to Top View JoeJack's Profile Search for other posts by JoeJack

Leftoverdj

Posted: June 01 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Better you should put some effort into getting more consistent charges. That's an absurd spread. Something is bad wrong.

I once got spreads like that and traced it to spider silk inside the drop tube. The spider silk would sometimes retain part of the charge and then drop it with the next charge. With slide operated measures, inconsistent slide travel can do the same thing. With plastic parts, static cling can hold powder.

I don't know your measure, but if you can't get it consistent to within +/- a tenth with small charges, you should not be using it.

Going to a ball powder may help. I've had excellent consistency with WW 231, AA-2, and AA-5.

Five grains of Bullseye ain't going to blow your pistol up if you are absolutely sure that's the heaviest charge.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

landtoy80

Posted: June 01 2009 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote landtoy80

I was using the powder large drum that came with the L-N-L AP and now am using the small drum. I still get inconsistent loads but they are less than the large drum.
I shoot for 4.2 and get 4.2 to 4.4.
I just wanted to know if I should pull all the bullets if 4.9 to 5 was too much?
I also wanted to know when data says Max of say 4.8g and its known that the powder is hard to meeter, are they being conservative knowing that there will be a variance in charges or does Max mean MAX???

TexIndian

Posted: June 01 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I personally don't feel comfortable going over max without some serious testing. Usually don't do it at all. I say this even though I know some of the loadbooks are lawyered up pretty bad, i.e. using lower powder charges to make sure even the rustiest, weakest gun ever made works fine with that load when using the thinnest, most overworked cases you can find.

I've never felt the need to push the envelope except with a rifle load or two destined for loooonnngg range shooting - to keep them from going sub-sonic as long as possible.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

Leftoverdj

Posted: June 01 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Lee shows 4.9 with a 125 grain jacketed and Bullseye so that ain't a huge problem. I'd shoot them without hesitation if I knew for sure that 5.0 grains was the heaviest charge. The problem is the possibility that that erratic measure dropped a huge charge you don't know about.

Your current results sound reasonable, not great, but reasonable. 4.2 to 4.4 grains is 4.3 grains +/- a tenth. That's about as consistent as you are likely to get with a flake powder.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

gotsig?

Posted: June 03 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

landtoy80 wrote:
Why is there such a wide range in load date from one Speer manual and from other manual to another?

Look at the OAL listed. They are quite different.
Back to Top View gotsig?'s Profile Search for other posts by gotsig?

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version