Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: CVA and new Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wolfdog

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 13 2009 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Hey all. I am trying to get into the muzzle loading thing. I don't need to be traditional, to be honest I just want an excuse to throw 45 cal bullets down range and shoot deer and such with an inexpensive rifle. Also I did a 450 marlin for a while, and though fun, I found that inexpensive cast bullets are overly hard and tend to lead. Now my thinking is that with a muzzle loader I can play with some of the localy available .458 hard cast bullets in a sabot, and still shoot the jacketed hornady as well. Those 350grn FP should expand just fine on deer sized game at ML velocities. So my question is, besides the rifle (thinking a cva wolf to start with) bulltes, sabots powder, what else is a "must" for shooting?
Back to Top View wolfdog's Profile Search for other posts by wolfdog

Paul5388

Posted: September 13 2009 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

One of the reasons I got my Wolf was the 209 primer that I have thousands of. I also had a .495" RB mould and knew I could use sabots for .45 caliber bullets.

The .495" ball is real tight with normal patching material, but it worked fine in another sidelock CVA we have. I'll try a .490" ball when it gets here.

For round ball use, I prefer the .50 caliber just because of greater weight compared to a .45 caliber.

As far as a "must have", I think a bullet starter is really necessary, especially if it's a tight patch. The Wolf ram rod telescopes to make it long enough to work right and that doesn't give enough strength to start tight patches.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

wolfdog

Posted: September 13 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

what about bore butter, cleaning supplies etc? I read about something having to do with soap and water, but another site mentioned having to break crud up in the breech area? I was thinking 50 cal and shoot saboted slugs meant for the 45-70 etc. I was thinking what a fun way to use those overly hard cast, cheap, poorly lubed bullets they always have for sale here. I can get 250 .458 cal bullets for about 20 dollars. In a sabot all those negatives are unimportant, and I can use hornady 350grn ft bullets for deer..idk, the idea of this cva wolf is appealing but I'm worried I'm missing cost of various accoutriments.

Paul5388

Posted: September 13 2009 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

My Wolf (I got it from Graf's for about $160) doesn't like sabots too much. They seem to be too tight, but I may have a real tight bore. The sabot is intended for a .452" bullet, not a .458" bullet. Using the .45-70 bullet may make it too tight too.

The sabots work good in the side lock CVA, but it seems to be a little looser bore.

Patch lube may be a good idea to help seat the bullets and to help keep the crud softer. Of course, with the Wolf the breech plug comes out easily, for cleaning, with a 12mm wrench. It's only supposed to be hand tight anyway.

I carry a Craftsman pocket screwdriver almost all the time, so a stubborn 209 can be pried out with that ever present tool.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

wolfdog

Posted: September 13 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

hm..my reading has indicated that there are two size sabots available for 50 cal muzzle loaders, one for .452 bullets and one for .458.

richhodg66

Posted: September 13 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

If you shoot Hogdon 777, it's not corrosive. Pyrodex RS works well in my Hawken.

My advice is to get a good ball starter and a strong ram rod for range use. The ones that come on rifles for carrying afield aren't the best. I also have a small funnel I carry, and you should get a few of the little flip top tubes for carrying pre-measured charges if you hunt with it.

-Warren Zevon
Back to Top View richhodg66's Profile Search for other posts by richhodg66

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version