Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .25/223 Information Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PAL

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 23 2004 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote PAL

Some years ago I put a .25/223 rifle together. I used a Rem 700 short action, an Australian made Tobler Stainless barrel with a 10" twist (No2 weight/21"long), all of which is sitting in one of my own synthetic stocks. As for optics, I am using a Swarovski 3 - 12 x 50 with the 4-NK illuminated reticle.
My favorite load is 25.5/AR2207/75 Hornady V-Max. This load scoots along at 3014FPS (ave.)& consistently groups .5" to .75".The case is nothing more than the .223 Remington necked up to .257 with no other changes. Has anyone got any thoughts or experience with this little gem, please ?
Back to Top View PAL's Profile Search for other posts by PAL

Bullfrog

Posted: May 23 2004 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote Bullfrog

You own a Swarovski? You mean you can do more than just look through the glass at the pretty optic? Man I shoulda been born an Aussie. They are all rich over there :) It sounds like an interesting caliber. Would be a good varment round. I can check my Pet Loads book later when I get back from work, but I honestly don't remember seeing that caliber.

Bullfrog
Back to Top View Bullfrog's Profile Search for other posts by Bullfrog Visit Bullfrog's Homepage

PAL

Posted: May 24 2004 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote PAL

Dear Bullfrog,
I hate to say this but I actually own & use 5 Swarovski scopes(I am also a Swarovski dealer which helps).However, I also use Leupold, Pecar & Schmidt & Bender. We used to stock Schmidt & Bender but their marketing strategy changed & we don't anymore. My wife & I were guests of the Schmidt & Bender factory in Germany which was a real eye opener! No, I am not rich , just lucky.Australia is a good place to hunt though.

Joe44

Posted: May 24 2004 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Joe44

Sounds alot like the 6x45mm. I thought about having one made up, but instead I bought a cz527 in .223. As soon as I wear the barrel out, I'll have a new barrel in 6x45 put on, unless the .25/223 is better.

It seems as though the 6x45 or the 25/223 would be better here in WYO than the 223 as they shoot heavier bullets that buck the wind better and are also tougher for tougher varmits than prarie dogs.

Have you tried yours out on anything but paper yet? How did it do?   I may be ordering that new barrel sooner than I think!!

Joe

P.S. No Swarovski for me either BullFrog. Just Leopold
Back to Top View Joe44's Profile Search for other posts by Joe44

Bullfrog

Posted: May 24 2004 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bullfrog

Man O' Man Pal, here in the states the Z's run upward of $1100 US I can barely afford the cheap leupold's at walmart for 199 US. It is great that some folks get to experience the upper end of things. Someday when someone has one mounted I will be able to squeeze off a few rounds. That is how I was able to fire so many exotic weapons before the ban here in the US.

Bullfrog
Back to Top View Bullfrog's Profile Search for other posts by Bullfrog Visit Bullfrog's Homepage

blackhawk44

Posted: May 25 2004 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote blackhawk44

Pal, check the threads on the 257 or 25 TCU, its just the 25/223 improved. There have been some discussions and some loads traded. The first article was in 1982, in Gun World by the late Dean Grennell. I have a 10" VV barrel for a Contender, but have not had time to begin load work. It was a standard offering from the T/C Custom shop for a number of years. There were also a couple of articles in Handloader magazine in the 80's about the similar 25/222Mag (called the 6.35x47) by Wayne Blackwell. BOL
Back to Top View blackhawk44's Profile Search for other posts by blackhawk44

PAL

Posted: May 26 2004 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote PAL

Thanks for the load references, I will look them up.Yes I have used this rifle on all sorts of game over here ranging from varmints(rabbits & crows)to Fallow deer.It really is a lovely rifle to shoot. In fact, I most recently took 2 fallow deer does using the 75 Hornady V-Max projectiles whereas I use the 100 Grain Speer B.T.if I decide to take stags with it. I must say that I do not hunt stags with this rifle very often as my 25/06 Ackley is simply that much better at long range.In the case of doe hunting, I always headshoot & the 75 V-Max is devastating out to 200 yards or so.The 100 Speer will nearly always fully penetrate the chest of a fallow stag but I have recovered a couple of projectiles & they look good !!When I learn how to send images I will try to provide some interesting material on this rifle to you all.Catch you all soon.

Spitpatch
Newcomer

Posted: June 03 2004 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Spitpatch

Howdy, Pal.
As a die-hard "quarter-bore" fan, the .25-223 was my intended caliber for a rifle I planned to build based on the "Mini-Mauser" action. I wanted a petite "running rifle" for chasing pronghorn antelope. Being enamored with the .250-3000 as almost the ideal pronghorn cartridge (35 years of chasing the prairie goats), I thought the .25-223 would approach 2800fps with a good 85 or 87 grain bullet.
Then I discovered that the "Mini-Mauser" had also been chambered in 7.62x39. This changed my whole plan.
Bolt face size is nearly identical to the PPC cartridges. I had a Lilja barrel chambered and installed on a Mini-Mauser 7.62x39 action. I call it the .25 PPC. (not Palmisano-Pindell, as the 6mm and .22 cartridges were named, but the .25 "Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge"). I get 3000 fps with the 85g Nosler Ballistic Tip pushed by 30.5g of AA2460,Fed Match primer,Norma 6PPC cases necked up.
This from a 22" barrel. The .25-223 has somewhat less case capacity, but you could most likely fill the case with AA2460 and be safe.
The .25 PPC drops antelope like lightning, and duplicates .250 Savage velocities obtainable in the Model 99 Savage rifle. The Mini-Mauser is a pleasure to carry when jogging across the open prairie.
I also recall that Shooter's Digest featured a .25-223 article in their annual issue in the late 70's. The gentleman had converted a .223 Ruger 77. I'll see if I can locate that.
When I had RCBS make the dies for this, they advised me that I was only the second person to ever request them. I'd like to believe I've taken the first five antelope and one Mule deer with this cartridge. Perhaps you will enjoy the same idea with your .25-223 on a few 'Roo?     

blackhawk44

Posted: June 04 2004 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote blackhawk44

Of interest in the same vain, also announced, factory chambering with load data and factory dies, was the .257 Kimber, the .222 mag with the improved shoulder blown forward. Virtual equal of the .250 Savage. Article and hunt by Layne Simpson in Handloader. The first, I believe, was the .25/222 Copperhead by John Wooters of Houston, for use in the little Sako L461. Article in Rifle magazine in the 70's. For use in the T/C Contender is the 5.6 X 50 on the European case developed by Mike Bellm. Data on the web.
Back to Top View blackhawk44's Profile Search for other posts by blackhawk44

PAL

Posted: June 05 2004 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote PAL

Many thanks Spitpatch, you seem to have turned out a nice rifle for your pronghorn hunting. With a little juggling I am able to just squeeze 2800FPS out of my .25/223 with selected loads using 87 Hornady Spire Points & 2700 FPS with 100 grain Speer B.T.'s.
I am not aware of any other .25/223 in Tasmania & hazard a guess that it may well have been the first one in Australia. I have a very good friend who has every single Shooters Digest since the 60's so I guess I will be doing some searching - thanks for the tip.Many thanks for your info as well blackhawk44. I will search the web as well.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version