Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: AA8700 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
richhodg66

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 08 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I have a bunch of this and want to load it in 7mm Mag. The load data I have maxes out at 79 grains with a 160 grain bullet for about 2,950 FPS and is about the same for 150 grainers.

I'd like to use the Sierra Game kings 160 grainers in it, but I also have some Nosler 150 grainers around. My data says this is a compressed load and the pressures it lists are considerably less than some of the faster powders for the 7 Mag. I'm guessing this is a max load based on how much one can fit in the case rather than pressure.

Anyone had any experience with this powder in big cases like this?

-Warren Zevon
Back to Top View richhodg66's Profile Search for other posts by richhodg66

Paul5388

Posted: October 08 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Rich,

I had to go back to the 2003 edition of Accurate's reloading guide to find 8700 listed. It appears to be at its best with the heavier bullets, but is still acceptable with lighter bullets.

If it shoots good, I'd use it at what they have listed, especially since you have a good bit of it.
Back to Top View Paul5388's Profile Search for other posts by Paul5388 Visit Paul5388's Homepage

Rocky Raab

Posted: October 08 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

I think the only thing that burns slower comes in a bag marked "Kingsford."

That and the very similar Hodgdon 870 were discontinued years ago because there just wasn't a cartridge big enough and with a low enough expansion ratio to need it. That might not be true today with some of the UltraManglums being offered, but I don't see either powder coming back.

BTW, the Hodgdon flavor was a surplus powder pulled down from 20mm cannon shells, which might tell you a bit.

richhodg66

Posted: October 08 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I have two big jugs of it I got for free, and figured it would be too slow for most things, but that I'd have something that could use it sooner or later. I wanted an all stainless, synthetic rifle in .30-06 intending to get a new FN manufacture Model 70 when this controlled feed M70 in 7mm Mag turned up.

Turns out I didn't have as many heavy 7mm bullets as I thought I did, I figure if the accuracy is good with this powder and I'm getting .280 Remington ballistocs or better, I'm doing alright.

I hope this works out well, otherwise I have a bunch of powder with nothing else it'll work well in.

-Warren Zevon

Leftoverdj

Posted: October 08 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

I've used a bit of the milsurp 870 in a couple of .25-06s. Its only virtue was being really cheap. It was only with 120 grain bullets and all the powder I could get in the case that I could get anything approaching a reasonable velocity. It also left a very nasty tarry residue, worse with the lighter bullets.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

M700

Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote M700

I used to get some great results with the old H870 and a heavy 175 gr bullet from the 7mm Rem mag. No problem breaking 2900 fps, even from a 24" barrel. Pretty good accuracy too, all things considered. Put a danged fine elk on the ground.

Never tried the AA8700 though.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

richhodg66

Posted: October 09 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Did either of you guys who used it use magnum primers or will it make any difference?

-Warren Zevon

Rocky Raab

Posted: October 09 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

A spherical powder that heavily deterred might need TWO primers! I'd use the Winchester WLRM or Fed 215, which are the hottest available.

(My joke above reminds me of a supposedly true tale. A reloader facing a similar ignition situation decided to boost the burn a bit by dropping a primer into the case along with the powder! If the story is true, I bet he got better burn than he expected - the primer can add 10,000 psi to the total produced. Add a second dose of that, and ...

M700

Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote M700

Oh yeah, I used magnum primers with the H870... Absolutely.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Leftoverdj

Posted: October 10 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Yeah, magnum primers.
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

spawr

Posted: October 12 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote spawr

I've been using the AA8700 for a couple of years now on my 7mm Rem. Mag. and the 79 grn load works well for me. I understand, by a lot of other postings on this forum, that there are better powders. I've also heard that AA8700 is a odd duck among powders and that it has been discontinued.

I am sure that I can get higher velocities with other powders, but until I run out of AA8700, I won't be worrying about it.

Yes, you will fill the case before you will get to pressures that are near max.

Just my 2c worth, if it means anything to you.

richhodg66

Posted: October 13 2009 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Yes, that is very helpful! I was really hoping to find someone who had used it in the 7 Mag. Have you had the fouling that Leftoverdj mentioned? I had heard this is a problem in some calibers.

When I run out of it, I'll find another load or perhaps trade off the rifle. The fact that I acquired a lot of it was a big reason I bought a 7 Mag. Feeding that big case can get expensive and I don't really see me needing that much power for things but as long as I can shoot it cheaply, I plan to.

-Warren Zevon

spawr

Posted: October 13 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote spawr

Have I noticed the powder fouling? Yes and no. Let me explain. In the 7, no I have not. I have a lot more trouble with copper fouling than powder. I did not notice any difference in cleanup between the powders, though I wasn't using that as a criteris. Here is how I got to where I am with this.

When I bought my 7mm I was not on this forum and I was reading what I could find on which powder to pick. So I wound up choosing Retumbo, IMR7828 and AA8700. I loaded min-mid-max loads on all 3 powders with 160 grn Speer Hot Cors and off to the range I went shooting 5 shot groups with each load and then measuring which was best. The IRM7828 and AA8700 were neck and neck, but both the Retumbo and IMR7828 are extruded powders and don't meter well in my RCBS measure. On balance the AA8700 worked well for me because and becuase it is spherical, it metered very well. By the way, I used CCI large rifle magnum primers on all.

In the first paragraph I answered yes and no. Here is the other part. I have a Steyr M95 and found a recipe by FALPHIL here on the forum in which AA8700 can be used when loading the 8X56R and it kept the pressure low. I followed the recipe but upon firing, I had powder all over. I think, off hand, it was 49 grn of powder and it shot well and accurately, but I had this mess all over.

I theorized that it was the primer and posted a question to that effect and received responses that didn't exactly agree, though I didn't get any other suggestions except to change powder - the community doesn't think much of AA8700 it seems. I am soon going back to the range with the M95 with AA8700 with magnum primers and see if it gets better.

So, yes, I have faced a mess but not related to firing but instead lack complete burn that I attribute to ignition.

Hope this helps some.

Pete D.

Posted: October 13 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Pete D.

8700 is the only powder listed for the 50 BMG in AA's second reloading guide .
It is, along with 3100, a choice for the big .416 Rigby case, so it probably would fare well in the new Ultras.
Pete

richhodg66

Posted: October 25 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Does anyone have what the OAL Hornady lists for their 7mm 162 grain SST? I have some of these I want to use, and my Hornady manual is older and doesn't have it.

-Warren Zevon

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version