Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .30 carbine powder help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
almyers
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 03 2009 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote almyers

I inherited some reloading equip. and supplies from my grandfather. I have experience with handgun reloading, but the only rifle or dies I have is the .30 carbine. I have IMR-4064, 3031, 4320 and 4350 powder. I also have Hodgdon 4831 and H450 powder, however I can't find any data for the .30 carbine on any of these powders. I would really like to use these powders up, so they are not wasted. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Early

Posted: December 03 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Early

There is an exerpt in my Speer #13 manual that says slow burning pistol powders, and fast burning rifle powders are the only ones appropriate for the 30 carbine because they give adequate gas volume to cycle the action.

Also cautions that taper crimping should be the only type used because this cartridge head-spaces on the case mouth.

early

res45
Newcomer

Posted: December 03 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote res45

+1 on what Early said you will need to use a powder such as H110,IMR-4227 or AA-1680 for the M1 Carbine. H110 seem to be the most popular,it's also a ball powder and will meter very well out of a powder measurer.

If you need some cheap plinking bullets you might try these.

http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU601C&object-menu 6

Edited by res45 on December 03 2009 at 10:40am
Back to Top View res45's Profile Search for other posts by res45

Leftoverdj

Posted: December 03 2009 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Leftoverdj

Welcome, Almyers.

None of the powders you mention are suitable for loading the .30 Carbine, but they should give you a great excuse to buy another rifle. They'll work fine almost any of the standard cartridges; .30-30, .30-06, 7x57, etc.

PS-The .30 Carbine is much more like loading a pistol cartridge than a rifle cartridge. You'll do fine.

Edited by Leftoverdj on December 03 2009 at 11:32am
Back to Top View Leftoverdj's Profile Search for other posts by Leftoverdj

richhodg66

Posted: December 03 2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I've always used Winchester 296, H110 or 2400 in the Carbine, all work well and I don't remember liking any one of them better than the others.

I wish I had all those other powders to use up. I don't think they make H450 anymore, but it was great stuff in my 6mm as I recall.

-Warren Zevon
Back to Top View richhodg66's Profile Search for other posts by richhodg66

res45
Newcomer

Posted: December 03 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote res45

almyers just in case you end up deciding to use the H110 powder W296 is the same powder it's just sold under a different name,the same goes for W231 and HP-38.

If you look on the Hodgdon's web site in a side by side comparison you will see identical date for both sets of powders/bullet combinations. I use them interchangeably in my 357 and 9mm and 9 x 18 Mak. loads.

Paul B.

Posted: December 03 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

"I don't think they make H450 anymore, but it was great stuff in my 6mm as I recall."

H450 and Winhester's WMR were just different lots of the same powder. Booth disappeared from shelves at the same time. Good luck finding any. I found 32 pounds (four 8 pound jugs in california.) Got a friend to pick it up and meet me at the border.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Papa Bear

Posted: December 03 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Papa Bear

The powders that seem to work the best at duplicating the military load is H-110/Win296 and AA#9. Personally I generally use 14gr. H-110 with a small rifle primer under a 110gr. bullet.

TexIndian

Posted: December 03 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Thanks for the link, res45.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

almyers
Newcomer

Posted: December 03 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote almyers

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that somebody had that magic recipe for the powders, but wish in one hand and #@$% in the other. I have a small quantity of SR-4756 and 2400 so I used it. I found data on both of those. I just loaded 20 rnds 6.8 grs of SR-4756 w/ 110 gr. fmjrn and will try them out Sat. I wish I posted on this site before I bought 500rnds of 110gr fmj for $70, thanks for the link res45. I would like to use the powder as a reason to buy a new rifle, but economic forces say other wise. The guy who talked about the 6mm and the H450 powder, I live in the Kansas City area if you're interested in a trade. Thanks for all the advice. Reloading may be the last freedom of the 2nd amendment.

Edited by almyers on December 03 2009 at 8:37pm

winwun

Posted: December 04 2009 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote winwun

I didn't read anywhere whether you're talking about loads for a pistol or a rifle -- my Hornady book has different loads for both . . .

I don't like the H-110 because it doesn't tolerate "down loading" to any great degree, and I further don't like the idea of the M-1 carbine's operating rod stop -- it is when the top rear edge of the piston housing enclosure slams into the receiver lug below the chamber.

This sudden stop allows the bolt to continue to travel rearward until the lugs engage the rear of their cut-out in the operating rod, thereby placing severe strain on the lugs as pressure is applied from the rear.

The little carbine is known for bolt failure due to overloading, and for this reason (IMO), minimum loads (sufficient to operate the machinery) and plenty of lube should be the order of the day.

If you happen to be shooting the Blackhawk, you will enjoy 4 grains of Bullseye beneath the 110 gr FMJ, at least, I do . . .

res45
Newcomer

Posted: December 04 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote res45

You may want to check out the CMP forum I'm sure those guys there can help with any reloading question of the carbine.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version