Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: necking down 30-06 brass to 270 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
swampfox68
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 18 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote swampfox68

I have about 1,000 30-06 brass fired once maybe a few 2 times but all in great condition. It was passed down to me by my Uncle Bill.(now deceased) he gave me all his old reloading (stuff) press, books, dies, powders,bullets, everything a man could want. Everything was in right good shape except the trimmer and some odds and end. Anyway back to necking down. I was told that the 270 win. is a neck down of the 30-06. Do I just put the 30-06 case in 270 die and then trim the excess to spec? None of my books describe doing this.

littlejack49

Posted: February 18 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote littlejack49

sf68:
That should work. I have made 25-06 cases from 30-06 cases in the past. I prefer to use 270 cases to make my 25-06 cases. Not as much sizing down of the brass.
Back to your question. (By the way, you can also make your 270 cases from 280 cases with less effort).
Anyway, Make sure to lube them well but not too much. You will get lube dents. Put some dry lubricant on the inside of the neck. I use graphite on a 30 caliber mop. One could also use powdered mica the same way. This will keep the sizer plug from pulling the shoulder forward when on the down stroke of the ram. Make things work easier also. Next thing to check, would be the length. The 30-06 brass will be .046 shorter than the 270 brass to start with. The 30-06 brass will lenghten some while necking down, but you won't know how much until you do it. Full lenght sizing the 30-06 case in the 270 die should give you the proper headspace for your 270 chamber. Personally, I would size the 30-06 case only enough to be able to chamber the resized case in the 270 rifle and get the bolt closed with some little pressure. This will insure the resized case has NO headspace and will not leave a weak ring in the resized cases head. Next, you will need to fireform the cases to your chamber, if you see fit. Finally, trim all of the fired cases (only enough) to square up the case mouths or to bring them to factory spec. Your resized 270 cases will probably be some short of the SAAMI spec. This will not hurt your loads, only look odd if you seat cannelured bullets. I adjust my bullets, cannelured or non to the lands or to fit the magazine, so the cannelures set above all my cartridge necks anyway.
I hope this is clear.
                                   Jack   

Edited by littlejack49 on February 18 2010 at 7:16pm

redneckpaul

Posted: February 18 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote redneckpaul

+1
I used to do it all the time. Never had any problems. I sold my last 06 and had a few thousand of them. USed them for a long time in my .270`s.
Paul

wheezengeezer

Posted: February 19 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote wheezengeezer

From 06 you will only neck down.They headspace the same.From 280 you will also set the shoulder back about .050.

swampfox68
Newcomer

Posted: February 19 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote swampfox68

hey thanks to you all, this has been a big help to me. I will start reloading again in a few days. Got hit on the head the other night by a falling tree while coon hunting. Doctor says I will live so thank you all again and I will let you all know how they turn out.

littlejack49

Posted: February 19 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote littlejack49

Glad to hear you are alright. You would have been better off if the coon had fallen on you head.
                               Jack

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version