Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .223 loads Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rabbit_sheriff
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote rabbit_sheriff

i've been loading 63 gr. sierra bullets with 25.2 gr. of tac powder into .223 cases. my best groups are just over .5 inches but most groups are about .75 inches and some have been just over 1 inch.

i'd like to use these loads for coyote/fox hunting. anyone have any experience with these sierra bullets? any advice for a bullet that is 60 or more grains that would be good for coyote/fox hunting.

thoughts?

t.j.

hoghunter

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote hoghunter

What is the twist on your rifle? If you have a 1:12 I would highly recommend the Nosler 55 Grain ballistic tips with 26.0 grains of Varget or the Nosler 50 grain with 25.0 grains of Benchmark powder. Velocity of these load are approx. 3100 fps and 3400 fps respectively. Groups sizes generally run under .500 inches with these loads in my various varmint rifles.

I've shot over 900 groundhogs, 18 foxes, and two coyotes with these loads. (More with the Varget load than Benchmark). Believe me, they will flatten these critters.

I'm not expert on Coyotes but the two I shot dropped dead in their tracks with the 55 grain load. I don't think they are any more difficult to stop than a fox or large groundhog.

I don't think you need a 63 grain bullet for these critters to acheive adequate stopping power. If you have a rifle with a fast twist (i.e. 1:9 or 1:8), which is now in vogue for the 223 then the 63 grain bullets may be needed for accuracy but if you can acheive adquate accuracy with the 55 or 50 grain bullets I'd try them. They're cheaper and I don't believe you will be disappointed.
Back to Top View hoghunter's Profile Search for other posts by hoghunter

Paul5388

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

I normally use a 62 gr V-Max in my .223 with 1 in 12" twist. The bullet is designed for that twist, so it gets me a little more mass for whatever I encounter.

I like Varget with most bullets in .223.

Slick

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

rabbit_sheriff wrote:
thoughts?

Good info on your load - tell us details on what you're shooting it out of..

gotsig?

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

I have a RR AR-15 and have tried many bullets/loads in it. It's a 1:9 twist and I'm surprised that that most accurate bullet is consistently a 52g Speer HP. I've used Speer 52g, Hornady 55g, M855 62g, 68g Hornady's and even 69g Sierra MK's. I thought the 69g MK's would prevail, but the 52g Speer's work great in my rifle. Varget seems to be the most accurate load, but I don't like the way it meters in my Dillon 550. I have used H335, W748, BLC2 with nearly the same results as Varget. 25g- 26g of any of those gets me in the park with the 52g Speer.

My 69g MK load is 23.5g of H322- best load with that bullet for me.
Back to Top View gotsig?'s Profile Search for other posts by gotsig?

rabbit_sheriff
Newcomer

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote rabbit_sheriff

thanx for the info. my rifle is a tikka with a 1 in 8 twist. that is the biggest reason i went with the 63 grain bullets. i had over 2500 55 grain bullets but was told they wouldn't work with the 1 in 8 twist so i traded many of them off. i'm going to try some 55 gr. fmj's tomorrow that are loaded with 1680 just to see how they do. if they work well i may go with the 55 grain over the 63 grain.

do you think that the 63 grain bullet will be better at long ranges? wouldn't it be better on windy days?

thoughts?

t.j.

Slick

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

rabbit_sheriff wrote:
my rifle is a tikka with a 1 in 8 twist.

That's what I was pushing you for. I wish I had more expertise - so as to offer some creditable advice on this twist. Unfortunately - I don't..

The truth is that from my less than experienced (in this particular weight and twist) I think that you're pretty much on the right track in your "search for the perfect load".

I'm stuck tuning for 1/9, 1/8, and 1/7 twists at the moment as I live in a state that heavily regulates the rifles that one can legally own.

rabbit_sheriff
Newcomer

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote rabbit_sheriff

i shot some 55 gr. sierra hp bullets today and they didn't group well at all. shot 20 rounds, 4 groups of 5 rounds in each group. the best which i could do was 4 in about an inch and always one flyer. this has been typical for the tikka i have. it will shoot a flyer out of most groups of 5. doesn't seem to be any reason why.

are you loading .223 also with the 1/9, 1/8, 1/7 twist rifles?

Slick

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

rabbit_sheriff wrote:
are you loading .223 also with the 1/9, 1/8, 1/7 twist rifles?

I have 1:12 1:9 1:8 and 1:7 - so I segregate all of my loads for what I fire them out of. I shoot everything from a Mini-14 (1:12) to a Handi Ultra-Varmint (1:9) to AR-15 in 1:7 and 8.

Segregating my ammo is the only way I'm going to get any decent groups - since you can't just throw anything down the tube on these things..

55gr shoots great out of 1:12.

rabbit_sheriff
Newcomer

Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote rabbit_sheriff

i shot some fmj 55 gr. bullets in the tikka when i first got it and they grouped about an inch or just under. i didn't think this was bad for a 1 x 8 twist. don't know what the ammo was as i'd had it for about 10 years.

the ammo i shot on friday was loaded with 1680. none of it grouped well. think it was more of a function of powder than it was bullets. i bought a pound of 1680 on the advice on someone in a gun store that has been using it in a .223. i think i'll just load up some rounds for plinking with it and continue loading tac for hunting.

i'm also going to try some 55 gr. military ball ammo. it shoots fairly well in my mini-14, about 1.5 inches on a good day. don't know what twist the mini is. i've had it since 1979 and after ruger did some custom work on it i've had good luck with it.

i have a stainless steel mini that was made in about 1984. would that have the same twist as the older one?

MR 8x57js
Newcomer

Posted: 04 June 2010 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote MR 8x57js

Sheriff
I use Sierra bullets in my Savage .223, i load the 55 Gr SPBT, a 55 Grain would do the same job, and there's a ton of loading data for the weight
Back to Top View MR 8x57js's Profile Search for other posts by MR 8x57js

ArchAngelCD

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote ArchAngelCD

I load a 55gr Sierra Blitz bullet over 25gr of H335 and it's deadly accurate in my Howa 1500 bolt rifle. (1/12 twist)
Back to Top View ArchAngelCD's Profile Search for other posts by ArchAngelCD

Verniersight

Posted: 17 June 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Verniersight

X-terminator has worked quite well for me under 55gr FMJBT and 55gr V-Max in both 1:12 (Mini-14) and 1:9 (AR-15). I had better results with the 1:9, but then again stock Mini-14's are not noted for tack driving groups.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

"I'm not perfect, I'm just the best there is." Bob Munden
Back to Top View Verniersight's Profile Search for other posts by Verniersight Visit Verniersight's Homepage

Paul5388

Posted: 17 June 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

I think AA2230 is a better choice for what you're wanting to do than AA1680 is.

Ham Gunner

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

To check your twist rate is easy enough to do using a tightly fitting patch on a cleaning rod. Just start it slightly into the bore so that it is starting to turn with the rifling. Run a strip of tape around the rod where it exits the muzzle and make a mark on the tape at the front sight. Pull the rod slowly out until the mark returns to the same position as the front sight and measure with a tape measure. That is one turn in ??? inches.

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

drinks

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote drinks

RS, I use AA1680 in my .445 SM and .357 MAX, really seems to do well in some of the heavier big bores rather than the small bores.
It does not do well in .45-70 without dacron filler, has bloopers.

rdsii64
Newcomer

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote rdsii64

rabbit_sheriff wrote:
i've been loading 63 gr. sierra bullets with 25.2
gr. of tac powder into .223 cases. my best groups are just over .5 inches
but most groups are about .75 inches and some have been just over 1
inch.

i'd like to use these loads for coyote/fox hunting. anyone have any
experience with these sierra bullets? any advice for a bullet that is 60 or
more grains that would be good for coyote/fox hunting.

thoughts?

t.j.

If your rifle has a 1 and 8 twist I would suggest the 75 grain amax.
Assuming your barrel is longer than 20 inches you should be able to get
between 2750 and 2800 FPS. It will have enough speed and stability to
carry as far as you have the skill to shoot. keep the distance down to
reasonable hunting ranges and coyotes don't stand a chance.

rabbit_sheriff
Newcomer

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote rabbit_sheriff

i know nothing about the 75 gr. amax bullet. don't even know who makes it. can you give me more info? also, do you think the 63 grain bullets will not do the job?

i'm just getting back into coyote/fox hunting after an almost twenty year hiatus. seldom have i have shot a coyote over 150 yards and don't expect that to change much. generally i've been able to call them to within this range or less. of the three which i shot last february one was 35 yards, one 160 yards, and one just over 100 yards.

thoughts?

hrubison

Posted: 17 July 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote hrubison

ArchAngelCD wrote:
I load a 55gr Sierra Blitz bullet over 25gr of H335 and it's deadly accurate in my Howa 1500 bolt rifle. (1/12 twist)
      I am working up loads for my savage 12 in 223 & the same bullet/powder combo is the most accurate so far
Back to Top View hrubison's Profile Search for other posts by hrubison

Ronnieboy

Posted: 18 July 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Ronnieboy

been loading imr 3031 with 55 grainers for my CZ527. started loading 69sierramatchkings and varget for my ar, varget seems more stable, hot chambers dont affect it .and its still real accurate. 1 inch with nat match peeps. No slam fires with cci primers either. ron

1-7 twist on the ar.

Edited by Ronnieboy on 18 July 2010 at 11:39am

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version