Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Load data for the 7.62X38 Nagant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RCHanlin

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2004 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

I just picked up a 1895 Nagant revolver... I want to reload for it but I'm having some trouble finding load data... I've got a box of Russian target ammo.. I believe it's 100gr. HBWC's .. I can find the loading dies.. Brass ( 32-20 ) and considering the Hornady XTP 85gr. JHP's for the bullets... Anyone out there loading for this.?? Or can you get me going in the right direction for data for this combination.?? The brass is Win. Starline is supposed to be better but Midway is all sold out.. as they are with most of the other brands..

By the way... the bullets are .312 dia.

Edited by RCHanlin on June 30 2004 at 12:37pm

Detroit Jay 2

Posted: June 30 2004 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Detroit Jay 2

Good Luck I almost bought one. I think its gunsandstuff.com or FAC has a 32 acp cyl that you can change in. It costs like $50 or so but its the cheap way to go.
Back to Top View Detroit Jay 2's Profile Search for other posts by Detroit Jay 2

bentbarrel

Posted: June 30 2004 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

RC, i have one o them lil 7 shooters, and enjoy the heck out of shootin it. i use win. 32-20 brass loaded with 6 gr. of unique pushing a hornady 90 gr. hollow base wadcutter .314 dia. , with an oveall length of 1.455 at an average velocity of 1117 f.p.s.
the only other powder ive used with it was the WW540 and at 6 gr. also, average velocity was 907 f.p.s.
hope that gets you into the ballpark with what you want to know, also i got the dies for that particular round from midwayusa.
have not experienced any primer problems, or problems with the brass. has been a while since i checked on the curio and relic boards for more data but i will see what i can find for new loads.
shooting the lil jewel is a hoot. there is only one spring for trigger and hammer, a V spring in the grip frame. it is a very stiff one. i wouldnt be surprised to find out it is near 30 pound pull HAHAHA. but that is good trigger finger exercise eh?

bentbarrel

Posted: June 30 2004 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

1895 nagant trigger info

Nagant ammo

new ammo source

Nagant Article In GUNS

nagant ammo ?

7.62 Nagant ammo for the pistol

hope that gets ya goin

RCHanlin

Posted: June 30 2004 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

Thanks BB I figured if anybody knew, you probably would... I've seen where you're quite a C&R collector too.. in other threads...

Without slugging the barrel, I thought I'd be safe with the .312 bullets.. Although if they where available at MidWay, I would have gone with the .314 HBWC's Seems like 32-20 brass and the lead bullets are being grabbed up fast at Midway.. ( I've got a dealer account through Midway )

Thanks again for the links and the info...

RCHanlin

Posted: June 30 2004 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

DJ....

Yea I've seen the conversion cylinders too but want to keep the gun in original condition... That's part of the fun of it..

bentbarrel

Posted: June 30 2004 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

yer quite welcome RC, glad to see someone else that will enjoy the lil popgun, im not sure but i believe the loads for that thing will compare closely to the .32 mag. not sure. with the exception of the trigger pull hahaha. i do enjoy shootin the .30 cal nagant revolver anyway, then when i do pick up a redhawk i got my trigger finger in shape hahaha. keep us filled in with what ya can do with it.

RCHanlin

Posted: July 01 2004 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

Hey BB... I got alot of info off those links you sent me ... Turns out, I was already a member of that forum ( lol ) Some of the most senior of the members there and the moderator of the thread say they're shooting 32 S&W longs and 32 H&R Mag's in the Nagant revolver with no problems .. and that aside from the slight case bulge in the 32 Longs, they're quite safe... What do you say?? Before I go out and try this myself

bentbarrel

Posted: July 01 2004 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

i have shot some .32 longs in mine, but opted for reloading the 32-20 case with the hornady 90 gr. hbswc just cuz i didnt like the bulge on the .32, didnt have any problems with em, just didnt like the idea of bulges, reminded me of my spare tire above my belt hehe.
that bulge , to me, seems as tho it wouldnt be a good idea to reload those cases much, just my .02 worth. have loaded these 32-20's over 8 times each and no problems yet.
i havnt tried .32 H&R mags in it. back to you RC

RCHanlin

Posted: July 01 2004 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

Well BB I've got over 200 rounds of 32-20 brass and the Lee dies on the way so I think I'm going to stick with the right stuff myself... The easy way sure does sound tempting though ( 32 Longs and all ) but I like to shoot what's made for my guns and don't think I'd like the look of the bulge either.. ( I already got enough of my own too ) I'll let you know how it shoots after I load some up ... And work on my trigger finger.. ( that DA pull is a bit stiff )..

Thanks again

bentbarrel

Posted: July 01 2004 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote bentbarrel

i always end up shootin any handgun single action no matter if its a smith&wesson or this one hehe.
its a 1921 P.C.C.P. model, pccp was used before they come up with C.C.C.P.

RCHanlin

Posted: July 02 2004 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote RCHanlin

Mines a 1944 Tula.. Looks almost unfired... mint bore

Nice pic by the way.. I'll have to upload one of a very nice 1909 Argentine Mauser I got a little while back. I've yet to shoot it either .. Maybe this weekend if the weather holds up for me.

Nickle
Newcomer

Posted: March 25 2005 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Nickle

Recently bought a 1939.

Made up some ammo with 2.7 gr of 700X and Hornady 100 gr Half-Jacket bullets. Seemed light, but it's a start point.
Back to Top View Nickle's Profile Search for other posts by Nickle

Stainz

Posted: March 25 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Stainz

If you go to gunboards.com, you'll find an 1895 Nagant specific forum. I use Starline .32-20 brass with some modifications. I sand a few thousandths off the headstamp of the brass rather than take material from the breech block. Also, the rim is too large, and cants the cartridge slightly. I actually turn twenty-four thousandths off of the rim diameter on my Taig micro lathe. It took a while to modify two hundred rounds initially - the hundred new cases I bought last weekend at a show were much faster. The ease of loading/unloading is worth the trouble. Keep in mind, my 'mods' are to fit the ammo to the revolver, not the revolver to the ammo - it will still take the original ammo, should I find some.

I use the Lee set - but I substituted a Lee carbide M1 Carbine sizer/decapper, so lubrication wouldn't be needed. The original ammo is not available, but a Russian wimpy lead WC target (I chrono-ed them at 590 fps) version is - 40 rounds ~$16-$25/box. Additionally, Fiocchi loads some clad 98gr WC that chrono-ed 674-690 fps. Their is a heavy crimp on theinset seated Fiocchi ammo, a taper crimp on the even deeper insetted Russian ammo. Both styles exit the concave cylinder exits when loaded, so they push into the convex barrel end for a gas-tight seal before firing. The shorter ammo, like the .32-20 style I use, won't seal like that.

The MagTech 98gr LRN .32 S&WL I used bulged and split their cases, making extraction difficult, requiring the SA-style ejector rod to dislodge. BTW, the proper ammo requires such extraction, too, due to the mouth opening to seal inside the barrel. By comparison, my .32-20 cases fall out! Some importers suggest .32 H&R Magnums, since they have more stout brass than the S&WL's, and more closely mimic the original 7.62x38r loading, which was reportedly 100gr ~1,050 fps.

My .32-20 loads, using Meister 100gr .312" LDEWC's over 2.5/2.7 gr of Titegroup, crimped on the upper groove, chrono-ed 674/700 fps with a SD of 17/17 fps. Switching to a Berry's 83gr .311" WC over 2.7gr Titegroup gave 715/815 fps with a SD of 24/20 fps depending on where the bullet stopped during seating. Deeper was faster... it was stopped by the one time .32-20 step, tapered by the M1 sizer. I need some more work on a clad varaint. All cases fell out - except in one pesky cylinder bore on one revolver (I have two...).

The revolver is fun - and, that trigger can be tweaked to nearly 20 lb DA! Serious trigger finger excercise... Do check out that Nagant forum - great info.

Stainz
Back to Top View Stainz's Profile Search for other posts by Stainz

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version