Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Loads for Charter Arms 44 bulldogs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Booger
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 22 2004 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote Booger

May not be a totally new topic but I do a lot of walking on the farm and need some good loads for my [2] Charter Arms 44sp. Top load I've used is 13 gr. of Blue Dot. Got 1140 FPS out of a 4" b.[200gr lead bullet] A bear to shoot. Gun seemed to take it OK. But not me!!! Top load is 13.5 gr of BD. Seems too hot but the manual [Alliant] say OK. Any one have some good loads that is safe and won't shoot this gun apart. How strong is this firearm??? I have a 3" and 4" model. usually about 50 FPS difference.

Booger

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: October 22 2004 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

Welcome aboard Booger. The new Charter Bulldogs are supposed to be quite a bit better than the old ones, both in fit/finish and materials so I'd expect them to hold up better as well. Any of the standard pressure 44 Special loads should be fine. That 13.0gr load is max standard pressure load, you probably don't want to shoot a lot of them in the little Bulldog.

5.0gr of HP38 or Win231 under a 240gr LSWC has worked well in my M24. It's not a max load, but it would be a handfull in the Charter.

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: October 22 2004 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

Also in case you haven't seen it yet Gunblast has a good write up on shooting the new Bulldogs.

stuffit

Posted: October 22 2004 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote stuffit

Here's everything you could ever want to know about shooting the old (and new) charter bulldogs.
Care and feeding of .44 Bulldogs

SuperCrewd

Posted: October 22 2004 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote SuperCrewd

I have loaded some .44 special with a 200 grain LFN with 7 grains unique and it shoots pretty well in my taurus. Fairly hot but not too much so...
Back to Top View SuperCrewd's Profile Search for other posts by SuperCrewd

flatlander

Posted: October 23 2004 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote flatlander

Hey Booger
Reading the previous tips will get you lots of info.
I guess you have the older models. They have slow twist rif. and wont stabilze cast(med. hard) until you hit 700fps/200gr,800fps/240gr. I found this to be a given with cast .429-.430-.431 of various designs and hardness. There was one exception and that was with w231 @640fps would give 3" groups at 25m if I shook back the powder to the primers before firing.
If you've got adj.sights your laughing. If not youll have some load decisions to make.
Choose the fixed sight one you dont like as much and use it for your tests.
Dwayner
Back to Top View flatlander's Profile Search for other posts by flatlander

flatlander

Posted: October 23 2004 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote flatlander

I could yammer til next tuesday if I wasnt so tired, but just one more tidbit to save you excessive load testing and wear on these little things; with the same cast bullet from the same manufacturer when increasing bullet diam. to throat dim. (.429-.430-.431) with Power Pistol and Unique 5% less powder was needed to achieve the same vel. with each .001 increase in bullet diam. in my gun.
Back to Top View flatlander's Profile Search for other posts by flatlander

Rod WMG

Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

I have one of the original Bulldogs. I loaded some pretty hot 250 Federal FJP bullets some years ago with 2400. The gun took it and my hand did to a certain degree, but the "transfer bar" broke not long afterward.

I loaded more sane 240 gr. lead bullet loads with Unique after that, but broke the firing pin after a few years. I don't mean to run the gun down, it's had many rounds put through it.

I have an excerpt from an old Skeeter Skelton Rtickle in which he says 6.7 gr. of (old) Unique/240 gr. lead is too much for him in the CA Bulldog. He cut it back to 6.3. I figured Skeeter knew more than I, so I did the same.

I just picked up two boxes of possibly old 200 gr. Gold Dot Blazer ammo. I'm going to try these in the CA, but I don't hold out much hope--the sights seem regulated for 240 gr. recoil.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version