Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: 40-60 Winchester Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bird dog

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 29 2004 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote bird dog

I need some load data for a 40-60 Winchester. My family has a Model 1876 that is in good shape and I would like to use it on deer. RCBS offers dies for the caliber in both .403 and .406. Can I use either and how can you determine which is best. I have had a hard time finding data and answers on the internet.

Thanks

Sixgun
Newcomer

Posted: December 03 2004 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Sixgun

You should slug your bore to determine what size bullets you will need. Just drive a pure lead round ball that is slightly larger than the bore down the barrel and then measure it. When you know that, you can order the dies with the proper expansion plug. More than likely, it will be the .406 diameter. The '76 is a weak action, so I would suggest using black powder for a propellent. Also, get it checked out by a competent 'smith before shooting it. If you insist on smokeless, then about 16 grains of AA#5744 with a 200 grain bullet should suit your needs. I use 24 grains in a 40-65 '86 Winchester for 1400 f.p.s. The '76 is a weak action and not up to strength of an '86. Accurate Arms will gladly give you loads. Buffalo Arms has the brass you need and NEI can cut you a mould. I do have an original Lyman mould for the 40-60 that drops a nice .406-.407 bullet, but I'm not sure if I want to part with it. ---Stay cool-------Sixgun

LAH

Posted: December 04 2004 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote LAH

Thanks Sixgun. For those who know not this man, he's a Winchester Levergun nut. He shoots them and shoots them a lot. He's also a fine handgun shot and loves the older stuff. He's into jeeps somewhat and makes one of the finer tent camps you'll run across. You'll find him in the picture below, dead center behind the smallest girl, holding one of his prized Winchesters. To his right is Doc O'Mears (MS) and on his left is Uncowboy.
2004-12-04_072207_Creeker_032.jpg

Edited by LAH on December 04 2004 at 7:29am

Sixgun
Newcomer

Posted: December 05 2004 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Sixgun

Yo Creeker, whats happening in the hollow!? Thanks for the kind words in your post, but I just wish they were true! Well, your right, I'm sure addicted to leverguns and cast bullets. And for you shootists out there who have not tried the Creeker's bullets, you had better. Those babies shoot! I have an old '86 in 45-90 that keeps his 300 grain FP inside of two inches at 100 all day. Stay cool Creeker, maybe we will get together this spring for a Noreaster. -----------Sixgun

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version