Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 45-90 Load Data? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BigBlue

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 23 2005 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Following a discussion on G.B.'s H+R/NEF forum, I'm seriously thinking of rechambering a 45-70 to 45-90. I have not been able to find any smokeless loading data for it. Black powder is obvious, 90 gr., but I haven't found anything on smokeless. 45-120, yes, 45-90, no. I'm not even sure if that info is available. I'm looking at shipping the BC off for a new 45-70 barrel, and renting a 45-90 rechambering tool. Total cost for the barrel and tool rental is about $130 not including shipping, reloading dies and brass.
Don
Back to Top View BigBlue's Profile Search for other posts by BigBlue

Kodiak

Posted: January 24 2005 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Kodiak

BigBlue,

According to some BP rifle "experts", cutting a new 45/90 chamber in the 45/70 may not be the way to go. Talk with your g'smith about that. Personally, I have not done it. My 45/90 BP rifles were built from the ground-up and I would not change a thing. It's a very versatile cartridge either for hunting or target use. Rifles with the 18" twist seam to like 500 grain plus bullets, some as heavy as 560 grains. And will stablize them at very long distances. As far as smokeless powder loads go, I've never used them, but my old 1958 Lyman Cast Bullet manual lists a 400 grain bullet with the following;

50.0 gr. of 4895 with a 400 gr. lead bullet #457124, giving 1600 fps.

In a recent issue of Handloader Magazine, Mike Venturino gives a load of 33.0 gr. of XMP5744 with a 420 gr. RCBS cast bullet @ 1459 fps from a 26" barrel, in the 45/90.

I don't know how safe these loads are, so load carefully,
Back to Top View Kodiak's Profile Search for other posts by Kodiak

BigBlue

Posted: January 24 2005 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Kodiak,
Thanks for sharing that info with me. I did hear about Mike Venturinos article, but haven't seen it yet. If I can't rechamber, then I won't go for a 45-90. I'm looking at getting a new 45-70 barrel for my H+R Buffalo Classic 45-70 for $103 and rechambering it myself for the cost of tool rental, about $25. A very inexpensive alternative to buying a 45-90. I can't figure out why rechambering wouldn't work, but I'm not a professional gunsmith either. I have no problem using BP or one of the BP clones, pyrodex or triple 7, just curious if this caliber would respond to smokeless the same way the 45-70 does. The 45-70 loads, being broken down to 3 load levels, makes it possible to surpass the Trapdoor pressure levels in the H+R. I wonder what pressure levels Mike Venturino's article used. The H+R can handle level two 45-70 loads, or about 40,000 CUP.

Don   

ancien

Posted: January 29 2005 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote ancien

Don,
Maybe send Mike Venturino an email at Wolfe Publishing and asked him about the conversion. I think the issue might be the rate of twist. NEF tends to use a slow rate of twist with some calibers, for whatever reason.

Dennis
Back to Top View ancien's Profile Search for other posts by ancien

BigBlue

Posted: January 29 2005 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Dennis,
I took a look at the twist rate, the BC barrel is 1 in 20, same as the Shiloh Sharps 45-90. I know the big time competition shooters go a bit faster, but some of the old rifles were really slow by comparison. More like a twist rate for round ball use.

Don

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version