Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Winchester-Western 630 ball powder Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
One Bullet Dan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 19 2005 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote One Bullet Dan

My brother did his spring cleaning a little early this year and brought me over a care package of goodies he has no use for. One item was a 3/4 full can of WW 630 powder. I can find no reloading data for this stuff; has it been discontinued? I know he used it for reloading 38 Special/357 mag rounds. I`d probably be using it for 45 Long Colt loads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cochise...Geronimo...Crazy Horse
My Heroes have always killed cowboys.
Back to Top View One Bullet Dan's Profile Search for other posts by One Bullet Dan

ramone

Posted: February 19 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote ramone

Dan,

You are one lucky dude. You're right,WW has discontinued this very fine powder. Your brother wasn't the only one that loaded 38/357 cases with this stuff.

I have an old Speer #10 manual that still lists a lot of 630 loads. While I never loaded it in .45 Colt, I'll give you some loads for it from this manual. They were broken down for the old Colts like the Peacemaker, and a separate section for newer guns such as the Ruger and the TC Contender. I'll just print the ones for the older guns to be safe.

200gr LSWC Start 14.3 Max 16.3
250gr LSWC Start 13.3 Max 14.8
200gr SJHP Start 15.3 Max 16.8
225gr SJHP Start 14.8 Max 15.8
260gr SJHP Start 13.5 Max 14.5

This is a very small ball powder, and is a joy to meter. Speer recommends the use of a magnum promer for all these loads, and I also found them to work best in my loads, as it burns much cleaner with the hotter primer.

If you decide you don't like it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands, as mine is all used up. But I think you will. Good luck with your loads, and good shooting.

Ray

One Bullet Dan

Posted: February 19 2005 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote One Bullet Dan

I thank you, Sir, for your most informative comments! I`ll brew up a few loads and run `em through the Crony. I just couldn`t see throwing away good powder, especially when I knew where it came from and that it had been taken care of. My only regret is I might fall in love with the stuff, and "there ain`t no more" to be had! Thanks again!

P.S. You should see some of the other goodies that were in the bag; a can of Bullseye, six assorted boxes of JHP`s from Spear and Hornady, 700 Federal primers, a RCBS powder trickler, 300 once fired WW .357 mag cases. Can`t wait to see the next hobie he gets tired of!

Back to Top View One Bullet Dan's Profile Search for other posts by One Bullet Dan

ramone

Posted: February 20 2005 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote ramone

Oh, to have a brother like that!

Don't know how well the 630 will work in the .45LC, but the Speer book had it listed in 2nd place. They recommend Unique for the LC. But it sounds like you have the makings of a lot of 357 stuff. I know how well 630 works in them.

If you want, I can send you some data for it as well.

One Bullet Dan

Posted: February 21 2005 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote One Bullet Dan

Ray,
    A quick call to Big Brother turned up a #9 edition of Speer`s Reloading Manual, which he kindly gave to me! Guess he`s trying to make up for all the times he kicked the snot outta me when we were kids, and it`s working! Thanks again!

MJC
Newcomer

Posted: February 22 2005 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote MJC

Quote by One Bullet Dan:"My only regret is I might fall in love with the stuff, and "there ain`t no more" to be had!"

Dan, "Tis better to have loved and lost then never loved at all" or something like that.   
Back to Top View MJC's Profile Search for other posts by MJC Visit MJC's Homepage

flashguy

Posted: February 22 2005 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote flashguy

You might want to contact Hodgdon Powder Company. I think that one of their standard powders was virtually identical to WW630 (similar to how H110 and WW296 are virtually identical--in fact, I think they really are identical now although there were some minor differences originally). If you find that WW630 is something you like, Hodgdon might be able to recommend a substitute.

My understanding was that Winchester stopped making and selling WW630 because it was very finicky to adjust it to give consistent results for reloading--a real requirement for "canister" powders, since public reloaders are not able to independently determine the powder characteristics and adjust their load parameters to match as is done by the major ammunition manufacturers. Winchester did continue to make the unregulated form of the powder for sale to the ammo companies--they just test each new batch and alter their reloading weights to produce the desired ballistics. Powders for general reloaders have to be kept to much stricter standards of consistency because once loading data is published, people will use it for a long time and the powder must behave the same from lot to lot. WW630 was too difficult to manage this with reasonable cost, so they stopped selling it to the public.

flashguy

Edited by flashguy on February 22 2005 at 9:45pm

One Bullet Dan

Posted: March 16 2005 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote One Bullet Dan

Loaded up 50 with 13.3 grains and a 255 grain LRFN and took `em to the range. Ended up with a average velocity of 882.09 with a average deviation of 12.64. I could tell by the recoil that it wasn`t as "weak" a load as I had intended, but no funny lookin` primers. I found a sweeter plinkin` load was 4.1 grains of Clays. Burned cleaner and had a really mild recoil. Velocity was 658.21, with a little wider standard deviation of 13.37.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version