Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: .44 Mag Rifle Load w/ Elmer Keith bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rabbitrack

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 09 2005 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rabbitrack

This subject has probably been hashed over before but I cannot find any loading data for my Ruger 99/44 using Elmer Keith cast bullets.

I plan on using the 250 gr. and am currently using 240 gr. XTP over 26.1 Gr of H-110. they work wonders at 50 and 100 yds after putting a new sear, synthetic stock and free floating the barrel. I'm getting 1-1/2", 5 round groups.

Anyone know where to find the info on the Elmer Keiths?
They are sooo accurate in my Blackhawk Bisley hunter, I thought they'd work for the bolt gun too.

Mark

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: December 09 2005 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

26.1 sounds pretty hot, Hodgdons max load is only 24.0gr of H110. I was getting over 1,500 fps from a 6" M29 using 24.0gr of H110 under Leadheads 250gr Keith. That load would probably work in your Ruger, but I'd start at 22.0gr and work up just to be safe. You'll probably get a nice velocity boost from that rifle.

RB in GA

Online Status: Online
Posted: December 10 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote RB in GA

26.1g is mighty full case with a 240 XTP. 25g of W296/H110 (same)is max with a 240 LSWC in my book. You will get 1800+ with 24g from the long tube of the Ruger. Short of Griz, there's little that a 250g Hardcast at 1800 would not take cleanly. Be safe.

RB
Back to Top View RB in GA's Profile Search for other posts by RB in GA

Rabbitrack

Posted: December 10 2005 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Rabbitrack

I didn't mean to mislead... I only use the 26.1 in the bolt action 77/44 (I correct my self from the previous post. Don't know where the 99 came from).

According to the Hornady book 26.1 gr of H 110 out of the Ruger Carbine (old model I assume because there's no reference to "Deerfield" which uses the rotating bolt of the Mini 14 and 30) shows as a max load at 1900 FPS.

They say also that they got the best uniform results from IMR 4227. Max load is 24.0 gr for 1700 FPS.

The 296 is also listed as maxed out at 25.0 gr at 1700 FPS.

But these are all for the 240 gr XTP.

John I think I'll take your advice and try the 22.0 Gr. of H110 first and see what kind of accuracy I get and what kind of lead build up there is.

Mark

JohnK
Admin Group

Posted: December 10 2005 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote JohnK

If they end up being to long, something that didn't even occur to me, you could try loading them in 44 Special cases. I've used up to 20.0gr of H110 in 44 Special cases with the 250gr Keith at 1.59" OAL, that load did 1,150 fps from my 6" M29. You won't be able to use as much powder as in magnum cases of course but you could easily load up magnum level loads using that bullet for your rifle if you needed to.

Rabbitrack

Posted: December 10 2005 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rabbitrack

Yeah Tx Nimrod pointed out the long probuscus problem over on the Long gun board where I first posted this.

I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens.

Mark

CBRick

Posted: December 11 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote CBRick

Rabbitrack,

In long range handgun silhouette 23.5 gr H-110 with a 240 gr bullet is far and away the most accurate out of 10" Dan Wessons and FA revolvers. It's so commonly used it's called the family load and has won more National and International Championships in revolver class than all other 44 mag revolver loads combined. While H-110 normally doesn't like reduced charges, 26.1 gr sure sounds like a snoot full to me.

Starting at 22.0 gr and working up in .5 gr increments while grouping the loads, as soon as you pass the optimum charge for your gun the groups will start to open up, even if it's not a max load. I have never found the max load to be the most accurate load.

Rick
Back to Top View CBRick's Profile Search for other posts by CBRick

Rabbitrack

Posted: December 11 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rabbitrack

26.1 is a max load for H 110 and a 240 XTP, but they work very well in the Ruger bolt action 77/44.

I don't think I'd even consider it in my blackhawk Bisley Hunter.

23.5 is hot enough for the Bisley.

Mark

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version