Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: 12 Gauge Slug Reloading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Aaron

Online Status: Offline
Posted: December 19 2005 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Aaron

Anyone know where I can get some feedback on this subject?
Back to Top View Aaron's Profile Search for other posts by Aaron

Ole Gringo

Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Ole Gringo

I have been loading slugs for about 2years, I load the LEE 12ga. 1oz slug with herco powder. I have had good results but need to experiment with other powders.What kind of info are you looking for?

Aaron

Posted: December 20 2005 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Aaron

Thanks. I have purschased some BPI Dangerous Game Slugs and was looking for some loading info. BPI responded to an email I sent them that gives me the info I was looking for. Thanks again!

Rigmarol

Posted: December 20 2005 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

Ok, Aaron got his info quickly so before this topic cools off, I got curious.

I've heard of slugs for a shot gun, but don't know anything else about it.

I have a 12GA security pump from mosberg, too short for skeet or trap so all I have it for is "just in case" home protection.
If I can play around with slugs then I have one more thing to do with it.

What is involved with reloading slugs for a shotgun?

I cast other calibers so I have everything but the mold for the slug.
I only have reloading equipment for metal cartridges, no shotgun reloading equipment at all.
Do they make brass for 12GA Slugs?

I once was out in the boonies on BLM land and watched a guy with a very short shotgun shooting slugs. I asked what he was doing and he told me he was preparing for a fishing trip to Alaska. He told me the guided trip required everyone bring a "bear killer", he had chosen the 12GA slug thrower. He was all out of ammo by the time I spoke with him so I didn't get to see the ammo he was using. Looked very wicked when he fired it though.

Edited by Rigmarol on December 21 2005 at 1:50pm

Aaron

Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Aaron

I load a .690 ball that I pour and a keyway slug that I know I got the mold from Lee. I don't remember where I got the ball mold but it is cast iron vs. aluminum of the Lee mould.

It's real simple. I took the tower off a 366 Honady press and load my slugs with it. Pop the old primer out in goes a new 209 primer, size it, dump the powder in then a card board wad, WWAA gas seal with the petals cut off a slug and one more wad. Crimp it and your set.

I just bought some slugs from BPI of what they call their Dangerous Game slug. The gas check is attached to the slug. The slug looks pretty neat with vanes to help it spin and a nasty looking tip.

Shooting slugs is a lot of fun!      

Rafsob

Posted: December 20 2005 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rafsob

Hey Rigmorol,
I don't reload, but with the prices I pay I should.

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum, that I shoot Remington Saboted Copper Solid slugs with. I have taken two deer this year so far and I can tell you that this set up is a devistator. The shotgun has a rifled barrel and is very accurate out to 100 yards. It was neccessary for me to get into the shotgun business because I needed a shotgun in the county that I hunt in here in Virginia. This gun is the best investment I ever made.

She shoots to less then .75" at 50yds and about an 1" to an 1 1/4" at 100yds. This gun is great for the type of conditions I hunt, thick woods. I didn't have a lot of data due to the fact that the rounds are pricey. They run about $13.00 a box of five.

I am toying with the idea of casting my own slugs and seeing if I can get simular results. I trick is finding the right mold if it is available. If I do I have got one valuable gun for hunting.   

Edited by Rafsob on December 20 2005 at 1:09pm

Rangerwillie

Posted: December 21 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Rangerwillie

I have been loading 12 ga slugs for years. I found the one that I have excelent results with. I pour my own slugs with a lyman SABOT mold, #2654112. It pours a 525 gr soft lead slug that the deer realy don't like.
Lymans shotshell reloading handbook 4th edition has a good selection of reloading info with a varitity of hull, powder and wad combinations. I prefer remington hulls, they cycle easily thru my mec reloader and give a consistently good crimp. I hunt with a NEF Pardner fully rifled barrel, I usually take only head or neck shots out to 75 yards. My partner uses these slugs in his rem 870 (a sweet shooting 12 ga)      
Back to Top View Rangerwillie's Profile Search for other posts by Rangerwillie

Slick

Posted: December 26 2005 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

Rangerwillie wrote:
I have been loading 12 ga slugs for years. I found the one that I have excelent results with. I pour my own slugs with a lyman SABOT mold, #2654112. It pours a 525 gr soft lead slug that the deer realy don't like.
Lymans shotshell reloading handbook 4th edition has a good selection of reloading info with a varitity of hull, powder and wad combinations. I prefer remington hulls, they cycle easily thru my mec reloader and give a consistently good crimp. I hunt with a NEF Pardner fully rifled barrel, I usually take only head or neck shots out to 75 yards. My partner uses these slugs in his rem 870 (a sweet shooting 12 ga)      

I'm interested in getting started in bullet casting and 12 ga slugs were top of my list since I wouldn't have to buy a sizer-luber (right?)

If I'm not mistaken this slug looks like a "giant air rifle pellet" - kind of an "hour-glass" shape?

Anyways, I'm looking at a Lee Pro 4 - 20 lb furnace to start out with , since I expect 12ga slugs to keep it busy...

Edited by Slick on December 26 2005 at 4:24pm

Rigmarol

Posted: December 26 2005 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

I'm curious if reloading slugs for shotguns can be done with the bullet press I have now (RCBS RC single stage) and if you have to use shotgun "hulls" or do they make shotgun "brass"?

Thanks.

Rangerwillie

Posted: December 26 2005 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Rangerwillie

Its easy to pour a 12 ga slug,They look so nice and wrinkle free after a coupla pours to warm the mold.
to reload them they fit into a fineshot wad and no lube is required. I use a LEE pro 20, I should have got the PRO 20-4 for the bottom clearance. I had to raise the legs.
You have to use a shot shell reloader. and I use plastic hulls. They do make all brass cases and I'm sure they would look pretty on the reloading bench but they are more expensive. You can go to most shooting ranges and get a lot of hulls at no cost and you can reload them five or six times
Back to Top View Rangerwillie's Profile Search for other posts by Rangerwillie

Rafsob

Posted: December 27 2005 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Rafsob

Hey RangerWillie,
I am curious about reloading a saboted slug for my rifled 870 Express Magnum. Currently I shot the Premium copper solids and get great results (a buck and a doe). How about a mold for a lead slug for a sabot, is there one available???

I have to admit that a smooth bore shotgun (870 remmie a friend owns) shot a rifled slug with great results at 100 yards. It shot one flyer and two within one inch. All three within 4". Not bad for a rifled slug. It was a Winchester 2 3/4" slut round. Can't remember anymore details about the slug. I would like to try it at 50 yards. That would be a little more representive of the area that I hunt. I think I will let my buddy know we need to try this test.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version