Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  
Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
(Forum Locked Forum Locked)
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: Trimming .45 Colt Brass Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Doug in Alaska

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 08 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Doug in Alaska

Do those of you who trim your cases, trim before or after resizing? I've never bothered much with trimming but I recently started loading for .45 Long Colt and .454 Casull. When loading for the .45 Colt, I noticed a slight difference between the length of my Starline brass and the length of my Remington brass. Not long ago I purchased a set of Lee case trimmers, one for each of the calibers I reload for. I figured I'd trim the .45 cases so they were a uniform length. The trimmer will not fit into the empty case after the case has been resized. If I trim before I resize, it will work just fine. Seems to me that the case should be trimmed after resizing to be most accurate. Anybody else ever have this problem? The part that won't fit is the collar just below the cutter wheel, which should be the same size OD as the case ID, I would think. According to my calipers, the ID of the case after resizing is .445 and OD of the cutter shaft collar is .447. Does this sound right to you guys?

adirondakjack

Posted: January 08 2006 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote adirondakjack

Honestly, I have shot some one hole groups in my day, with mixed brass of indeterminate number of firings, etc, and have NEVER ever trimmed a revolver case, except when making one out of another, such as Schofield out of Colt.

It simply is not needed, not before sizing, not after sizing, not after 20 firings.
Back to Top View adirondakjack's Profile Search for other posts by adirondakjack

Rod WMG

Posted: January 08 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

I trim all my cases to the same length due to the fact that I roll crimp and seating bullets to the proper length if they aren't uniform is a hassle.

As you indicate, the trimmer won't enter the die usually if the cases is resized and not flared some afterward.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

Doug in Alaska

Posted: January 08 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Doug in Alaska

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Rod WMG. I trim for the same reason you do. I load cast bullets and roll crimp into the crimp groove. Having uniform case length is a beautiful thing when reloading for the .45 Colt. This afternoon, after posting my question, I got frustrated and took the trimmer to some fine sandpaper for about 15 minutes. I then polished it for another 10 minutes using a rag with flitz applied. Now all is well. The trimmer just fits inside the resized case. I didn't want to take off too much material.

woolybooger

Posted: January 08 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote woolybooger

i trim all my new brass and all the used brass i have bought.after that, i only trim after i begin to notice variations in bullet seating depth. an occasional trim seems to give me less trouble seating and crimping whether using JKTD or cast. i use a lyman trimmer with a pilot that fits into the cutter. i always trim after sizing. sure makes it easier to get a good crimp.
Back to Top View woolybooger's Profile Search for other posts by woolybooger

WHITETAIL

Posted: January 09 2006 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote WHITETAIL

I trim all new brass to the same length. Then I check each shell after sizing my brass after fireing. If it is not to max length I do not trim.

pascalp

Posted: January 09 2006 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote pascalp

With new brass, shot once, resize and then trimming.
Back to Top View pascalp's Profile Search for other posts by pascalp

J Miller

Posted: January 09 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote J Miller

I trim after sizing them. I've noticed that straight walled cases will grow a bit when sized in a carbide die, and will actually shorten when sized in a standard die. Carbide dies size the cases more than std dies do.

However I have also found an annoying trend lately. .45 Colt cases of all brands I've used, especially Winchester and RP don't even make the "trim to" length of 1.275". So if you trim all the cases to a uniform length, they are short.

So for the most part I've just quit trimming them.

JOe
Back to Top View J Miller's Profile Search for other posts by J Miller

Rod WMG

Posted: January 09 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Rod WMG

Joe, I'd suspect the Win. and Rem. new cases aren't the same length? In that case, I'd still trim to a uniform length.
Back to Top View Rod WMG's Profile Search for other posts by Rod WMG

J Miller

Posted: January 09 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote J Miller

Rod,

I did that once. Trimmed all the cases to the same length as the shortest one. Ended up with a couple hundred cases that don't even make the "trim to" length.
A waste of time and effort really. Now I set my trimmer to 1.275" and if they trim they trim, if not they don't.

And I rarely do that. I'd love to find a brass maker that would produce .45 Colt brass consistantly to the 1.285 max length. That would be nice.

Joe
Back to Top View J Miller's Profile Search for other posts by J Miller

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version