Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Tips, Tricks and Homemade Tools
 Handloads.Com Forum : Tips, Tricks and Homemade Tools
Subject Topic: Lee safety prime fix on a Classic Turret Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nortonics

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 April 2006 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote Nortonics

Upon assembling my new Lee Classic Turret press and installing the Lee Safety Prime I found that the priming function was not 100% without problems. Every so often the little primer snapper didn't load a primer, or it kind of got stuck at the priming arm - just simply was not 100% effortless it seemed.

So, looking closely at this setup I figured out what needs to be done to truly make that Safety Prime function work as well as we would hope it would. Below you'll find a couple small fixes that made all the difference in the world.

The big problem is that the Safety Prime primer snapper will not line up perfectly with the priming arm on the press itself. Look at this picture and look at your press arrangement:

If your priming arm does not line up perfectly square as shown by the green line then you are going to experience some problems. Go ahead, loosen that bolt that holds the plastic bracket in place and try to adjust it to be square. Without a modification it'll never happen, and here's why - because you just can't move the plastic Safety Prime bracket in this direction far enough in order to get it perfectly squared up:

So what to do? Remove that plastic bracket from the press and flare out the mounting hole:

The green area shows the original size hole. You can see that I just flared out the hole a little allowing for a greater ability to adjust it so that it will square up with the primer arm on the press. Just file out some of that plastic in the same area I've done in the photo above, re-attach it and align it perfectly square. It made all the difference in the world to achieve 100% positive and effortless priming every time.

Here's one more little snag I found and corrected too:

See where that arrow is pointing to above? Take your Safety Prime off the press and look at the bottom of that white snapper assembly and you will likely find a little nub of plastic sticking out from where they injection molded this piece. That little nub sticking out makes for a bumpy 'push' as it slides across the metal primer arm on the press. Take a knife and shave off that little nub of plastic and it will slide perfectly across that metal primer arm.

Edited by Nortonics on 01 April 2006 at 6:02am

Crazylegs

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Crazylegs

Very, very nice, Tom. Thanks for sharing that. Excellent instructions and pics.
Crazylegs
Back to Top View Crazylegs's Profile Search for other posts by Crazylegs

woolybooger

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote woolybooger

thanks tom.does it work after you did the mods?im thinking about getting one and your tricks are certainly simple enough to do.
Back to Top View woolybooger's Profile Search for other posts by woolybooger

Nortonics

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Nortonics

Hey Wooly,
Yes, it now works the way it probably should have to begin with - if not 100% then at least 99%, and I'm serious when I say that. When I looked at the problems I was having I thought maybe it was just my particular press and/or Safety Prime - thinking that maybe that plastic bracket could get a little out of shape. But after reading gpannicke's post in the 'New reloading bench' thread I knew he was having the exact same problem I was experiencing.

It actually makes total sense when you look at it closely. I just couldn't get it to line up perfectly - just the slightest skew about it.

Now ya could probably go about it in a different fashion by fiddling around with the way the feed system sits on/within the plastic bracket that screws to the press, and I did look at that possibility at first. But scratched my head a little longer figured out this much easier and more reliable way of doing it. Kinda' the KISS thing ya know...   

woolybooger

Posted: 01 April 2006 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote woolybooger

KISS works for me.i converted a pro1000 to a 4 hole AI because,even after buying new parts,i couldnt get the primer system to work.
Back to Top View woolybooger's Profile Search for other posts by woolybooger

brentfoto
Newcomer

Posted: 07 July 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote brentfoto

Nortonics wrote:
Upon assembling my new Lee Classic Turret press and installing the Lee Safety Prime I found that the priming function was not 100% without problems. Every so often the little primer snapper didn't load a primer, or it kind of got stuck at the priming arm - just simply was not 100% effortless it seemed.

So, looking closely at this setup I figured out what needs to be done to truly make that Safety Prime function work as well as we would hope it would...

And work it did! I was literally at my wit's end. I was ready to toss it all in because I was new to reloading and I figured then, and do now, that I will never compromise any type of semi or full progressive press by going single stage to deprime or use a hand-primer.

I could not get the darn Lee Safety Prime to work. Total frustration! I was thinking of returning or selling my Lee Classic Turret Press!

There is a detailed thread on this on another forum. I want to thank 'Ron Jon' for directing me to the within posting by Nortonics.

Here's that thread:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve
Go to Reloading, then click on Lee Safety Prime.
As of this posting, the thread consists of 9 pages.

Thank you, Nortonics! It did make a world of difference, and was the turning point in deciding whether or not to return the press.

I also learned that a non-mechanically inclined person such as myself can, through perserverance, even stubborness, find, by not giving up (as so many others have) a workable solution.   

Edited by brentfoto on 07 July 2007 at 11:00pm

Nortonics

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Nortonics

brentfoto wrote:
Thank you, Nortonics! It did make a world of difference, and was the turning point in deciding whether or not to return the press.

Thanks for the feedback, and you're certainly welcome - glad to see this is making a difference for others too.

brentfoto
Newcomer

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote brentfoto

My pleasure. Your post was made well over a year ago and it is continuing to help others!

tommyy
Newcomer

Posted: 19 August 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote tommyy

hi nortonics i cant see your pictures...could you please post them again?
thanks
tommy
Back to Top View tommyy's Profile Search for other posts by tommyy

Nortonics

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Nortonics

tommyy wrote:
hi nortonics i cant see your pictures...could you please post them again?
thanks
tommy

Tommy, I've got the original pics, but without the graphics added to them - must have lost them through the course of ongoing PC maintenance. I'll try to recreate them again and post them up over this weekend...

tommyy
Newcomer

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote tommyy

hello tom,thanks a lot for your compliance whats the status?:) maintenance finished?:)sadly i cant see any pix yet;(

i hope we all can check them out as soon as possible:)

take care,
bye
tommy
Back to Top View tommyy's Profile Search for other posts by tommyy

Owens511
Newcomer

Posted: 24 March 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Owens511

Any help with the "new" Lee safety prime with the triangle flip box?
Back to Top View Owens511's Profile Search for other posts by Owens511

dahlin

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote dahlin

I have the Lee Auto bench prime it has the same triangle flip box at first I had a little trouble with it not locking so primers would come out when tip it up to put it in its slot on the priming tool got that figured out and now I like it.
Back to Top View dahlin's Profile Search for other posts by dahlin

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version