Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
BPCR - Black Powder Rifle Cartridges
 Handloads.Com Forum : BPCR - Black Powder Rifle Cartridges
Subject Topic: Daily Forum Update Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
drcook

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 17 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

I believe I have a case annealing issue going on. As Kurt has mentioned some days you shoot good and some days you don't. The last time I shot, I didn't. My 45-90 and 110 are shooting terrific. The 45-70 is not. The gunsmith is backed up due to last minute deer hunters. After Thanksgiving, the rifle is going to get recrowned.
The 429 on a 45 2.6 case is on a learning curve.

I am going to finish up all my rifle stocks that need finished this winter. I have 2 rifles to do the wood on, and a buttstock to fit and finish. That is my BPCR update for the day.

I have been hanging out on some of the pistol forums. I have a new 9mm coming. My wife is going to use my current carry gun. It is black and uses powder. Had to get that in so I could talk about it. I am getting a CZ 75 BD. They are one of the most underrated firearms available.

dc

drcook

Posted: November 18 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

Well I tried to get people posting.

dc

Ranch 13

Posted: November 18 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

Busy in Cheyenne right now filling the responsibility of elected office....
Did get a good buy at the local slobber shop back home on some 30-30 brass before I left tho. 16$ per bag of 50 winchester.....

GUSA #6
http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

drcook

Posted: November 18 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

Which elected office ? :-)

That is a good price. There is a gent over on the ASSRA forum that needed some 45-70 brass to shoot in a trapdoor. All he could find on the east coast was a bag of 50 Win cases for 80.00. Talk about price gouging, 2 years ago I was getting 50 WW cases for 18.00. Just shows the kind of people that live on the coasts (not all but a majority).

I had 50 mismatched ones that I asked him if they would work. Of course they would. Since Jeff had given me a bunch of 45-70 cases, I kept the tradition going an mailed them to him. Got him back in business.

He was trying to shoot cannelured brass from factory rounds he had saved. The cannelured brass was splitting and trying to separate. Moral of the story, no cannelured brass for reloading, at least at the Cook household.

dc

Ranch 13

Posted: November 18 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

Dave you're a good man. and a credit to the shooting sports.

GUSA #6
Back to Top View Ranch 13's Profile Search for other posts by Ranch 13 Visit Ranch 13's Homepage

drcook

Posted: November 19 2009 at 6:54am | IP Logged Quote drcook

I thought a "blog" thread to BS amongst ourselves would be ok to do, to share things amongst ourselves that really isn't loading or shooting, more BS and informational.

My new V-anvil micrometer arrived. Gentlemen (and ladies) if you have a barrel with an odd nbr of lands and grooves, I now a tool that would allow me to measure the groove diameter as long as you shipped me a properly done barrel slug. Once you know that, you can easily tell the bore.

Please ask first. Of course, if you wanted it back, postage would be necessary.

There is one more style that has a wider V than the one I got, and in a few months, closer to next summer, I will watch for one of those off eBay. ( I spent my allowance lately) Just letting everyone know.

Today is the next longest day. Next longest in line after the day I spent waiting for a Shiloh to arrive. My new toy will arrive today.

As I said above "It is black and uses powder - black   powder"

Since we don't have much discussion going on, I just wanted to share amongst us, that if a person is in need of a high quality, reasonable price 9mm or even a .45 to look at the CZ line to protect yourself, your family and your SHARPS,ROLLING BLOCKS, or other BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLES

I live in a decent older section of a decent town. That is why I can have horses here However, we are 3 houses from the expressway and 5 minutes at 35 mph from the bad side of Akron Ohio. So with the dogs, a good gunsafe, and hardware, my family and BPCR equipment is safe.

Dave

Ranch 13

Posted: November 19 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

Dave those guys with trapdoors etc ought to be overflowing your mail boxes with throat casts......

GUSA #6

Rigmarol

Posted: November 19 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

I have a CZ .45 that is as reliable as I've ever seen. The only time it's failed is when I tried feeding it ammo that didn't get crimped properly (still had a slight flare on the case mouth). After fixing that flaw in my production it is a gun I would truly bet my life on. In fact, it's the one on my night stand.

Edited by Rigmarol on November 19 2009 at 2:56pm

drcook

Posted: November 19 2009 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

I suggest that we keep any and all "blogging" off BPRC topic within this one thread. Please no powder discussions whether black or the other stuff, etc, or political discussions that can rile each other up. Some of the other forums have way too much spread out in too many threads that divert attention. While we could simply email each other, this one thread will let us communicate so all can see.

I like to hear what every one is doing.

Rig,

which model CZ ? The one MK is taking is a CZ 75 D Compact PCR. In the black coating they use. It is really really accurate.

Dave

Lurker

Posted: November 19 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

I have 13 Colt 1911 45's, What does that say about what I feel is the best personal protection pistol to have?

I also have a Springfield TRP Operator 1911. And, two Paraordnance 1911's.

Bill
Back to Top View Lurker's Profile Search for other posts by Lurker

drcook

Posted: November 19 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

I have a Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP that I bought around 1980/81. It has a Series 80 serial nbr, but does not have any of the modifications that make a series 80 Colt.

It has the deep dark blue and less than 5 boxes of shells through it. It is not a gun that I would carry and take a chance of damaging.

dc

Rigmarol

Posted: November 19 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

drcook wrote:
I
Rig,

which model CZ ? The one MK is taking is a CZ 75 D Compact PCR. In the black coating they use. It is really really accurate.

Dave

I have the CZ 97B in Black paint. Here's a picture:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/rigmarol/Firearms/CZ 97B45.jpg

Edited by Rigmarol on November 19 2009 at 9:06pm

drcook

Posted: November 20 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged Quote drcook

they now have that model with a decocker also.

I saw a stainless 75 B, it was pretty roughly surface ground, I didn't care for it. I also saw a electroless nickel 75. that was a sharp gun.

dc

Kurt

Posted: November 20 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Kurt

I just got a case of 2F KIK and loaded up 50 rounds of different loads with different amounts of compression to see how this powder is for fouling compared to Goex and swiss. It was raining when I left and by the time I got to the range it picked up quite a bit, so I stopped at the pistol range that is covered and pulled out my series 80 gold cup I took along because I haven't shot it for many years.
I put a magazine in and let the slide go and took off the safety and it went off.
That sure got my attention!! a good lesson to always have that piece pointed in a safe direction!!
I put the safety back on and off nothing happened, did that several times.
With the safety on I pulled the trigger and it held, took it off and the hammer dropped.
It does that every time by pulling the trigger with it in safety and take off the safety the hammer drops with out pulling the trigger.
Well I have it completely stripped down and nothing looks worn sear looks good and it never has been stoned and I got this piece new but it has been shot a lot.
Still scratching my head figuring out what is going on.

Kurt

Anyone who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart. Anyone who remains so as he matures has no brain!"
-Sir Winston Churchill
Back to Top View Kurt's Profile Search for other posts by Kurt

drcook

Posted: November 20 2009 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote drcook

Kurt,

It sounds like the next event could be a run-away. What it sounds (key word sounds not 100% absolute) like is that when the slide slams back into battery, it is getting the hammer close to going. The safety release just finishes the event.

There are a bunch of 45 smiths around the country. I have been talking to one for Jeff that is going to put a steel feedramp into an alloy frame Kimber he has. 145.00 to mill the frame and install the part, part is included. I had spent a day looking for a solution, then found the part and Jeff found the recommendation for this smith off the manufacturer's website.

There is also a 45 smith here that was recommended to me by the smith that has been working on my rifles. The guy here doesn't do the milling of the frames, but does everything else.

Time to get that gun fixed before you need it for some reason.

Let us know how the KIK works

Dave

Kurt

Posted: November 20 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Kurt

Dave I found the problem.
The depressor spring is gone.

Kurt

Anyone who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart. Anyone who remains so as he matures has no brain!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

drcook

Posted: November 20 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

Great. That is good to know. How do you like the Series 80 pistol. Have you shot an earlier version of the 1911 so you can make an honest judgement ?

There are about 5 or 6 new in the box Series 70's or before hidden in the 52 pages of gunbroker when you do a search on 1911 (ask me how I know this). Most NIB series 70's go for 900 to 1000 now.

That is why I don't want to carry or shoot (too much) my Combat Commander. The price is escalating up.

dave

Kurt

Posted: November 20 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kurt

Not as good as the old .38 and .45 gold cups Nat Matches

-Sir Winston Churchill

drcook

Posted: November 20 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote drcook

Picked up the new CZ 75 BD tonite and put the rubber grips on it, it is quite nice.

Anyone ever hear of anyone having problems with Manson reamers ?

I am a little bit perturbed with the folks over in Pa that build single shot rifles. The first barrel was chambered just right, the 2nd chamber was messed up, had flute gouges in it. Only 2 chambers cut with the reamer and it stayed at their shop. Now they are blaming it on MY reamer, that bad chamber is because I bought a Manson reamer. Well BS, I have 2 more iffy chambers that came from that shop, I just didn't make too big a deal about it. One is my 45-70 that has a rough chamber, I smoothed it out and it is OK now, not on the order of a Shiloh chamber, but livable. The other is a chamber with a dink on the corner by the rim cut. Absolutely has no effect, so I didn't b*tch about that but less than professional work. Suffice to say, I am now done with them, will never get another anything from that shop. They were really bad mouthing until I reminded them that they cut 2 chambers and the first was perfect, then there was some real back pedaling. I will have to see how bad it is. That barrel might end up getting rebored. I could tell by the tone of the conversation that MY reamer was being blamed. Once I have the rifle back in hand and see how bad the recut chamber is, then I will make a decision on how I am going to proceed.

Ranch 13

Posted: November 20 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Ranch 13

That just plane sucks Dave. Hope the thing is salvagable.

GUSA #6

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version