Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Politics
 Handloads.Com Forum : Politics
Subject Topic: Alittle closer to losing" AMERICA" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
50DEP

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

House Narrowly Passes Gag Order (DISCLOSE) Act
-- Now it's time to barrage the Senate

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://gunowners.org

"Now the NRA are the big defenders of the Second Amendment of the Constitution, the right to bear arms. But yet they think it's all right to throw everybody else under the table so they can get a special deal, while requiring everyone else to comply with all the rules outlined in this bill, and frankly, I think it's disappointing." -- House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), June 24, 2010

Friday, June 25, 2010

Well, if there were any doubt as to what greased the skids for the DISCLOSE Act's final passage... the quote above hits the nail on the head.

Speaking on the House floor, Rep. Boehner blasted the horse-trading that occurred behind the scenes -- noting that certain groups were made exempt from the legislation in order to convince them to drop their opposition to H.R. 5175.

Republican Dan Lungren of California called it an "auction behind closed doors." Some groups won, Lungren said, others lost.

Rep. Gregg Harper (R-MS) vilified the bill because of its ambiguity. He said that since the Federal Election Commission won't issue regulations to implement the bill before the election, people will have to guess at what the new election law is. That's because the government won't be able to tell people what the law actually is... and if you guess wrong, you go to jail or get prosecuted.

Harper tagged liberals for trying to rush this bill (with all of its ambiguities) for immediate implementation so that Democrats can gag their opponents in the upcoming election. Why else, Harper asked, won't Pelosi and company delay the implementation of the bill until the 2012 elections?

Another irony with the whole process surrounding this legislation is that while the bill is called the DISCLOSE Act, liberal Democrats did not reveal (until a couple of hours before the Rules Committee Vote) that an amendment had been inserted at the last minute to exempt labor unions from the requirements of the bill. By the way, many of these requirements would make it much more difficult for GOA to hold legislators accountable during an election year.

The DISCLOSE Act (H.R. 5175) passed narrowly by a 219-206 vote. You can see how your Representative voted by going to: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll391.xml

GOA thanks all its activists for their hard work on this bill. Don't be discouraged, it is MUCH harder for us to kill legislation in that chamber. The fact that we came so close -- only 7 votes needed to switch -- means that we probably have the muscle to kill this in the Senate!

ACTION: Please urge your Senator to oppose the Disclose Act (H.R. 5175 and S. 3295). You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Senators the pre-written e-mail message below.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Senator:

I stand with Gun Owners of America in opposing the DISCLOSE Act (H.R. 5175 and S. 3295).

It is outrageous that the House of Representatives passed this legislation with a deal to exempt certain large organizations from the terms of the DISCLOSE Act. This smacks of the money-for-votes fiasco which helped grease the skids for passage of ObamaCare and which has already lowered Congress' reputation to unprecedented depths.

I was glad to see that Senator Mitch McConnell blasted this deal, which was especially aimed at carving out special exemptions for the NRA leadership in exchange for their promise to sit on their hands and not oppose the DISCLOSE Act. "If there is one thing Americans loathe about Washington, it's the backroom dealing to win the vote of organizations with power and influence at the expense of everyone else," McConnell said.

"Just as it wasn't the Democrats' money to offer in the health care debate, free speech isn't theirs to ration out to those willing to play ball -- it's a right guaranteed by our First Amendment to all Americans."

I agree wholeheartedly. Please do NOT vote in favor of this legislation, as it will have a chilling effect upon our free speech rights by forcing the organizations we associate with to disclose their membership lists.

How ironic that a Congress and President who treat transparency with contempt should now be trying to force legal organizations to disclose the names of their law-abiding members. The hypocrisy is blatant, to say the least.

Vote no on H.R. 5175 or S. 3295.

Sincerely,

50DEP

Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

Use the free letter or not, But its there!

BigBlue

Posted: June 28 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Some things just ain't right and going to bed with those that vote to violate out First Amendment rights, in order to preserve your own right to free speech, is just plain wrong. Sent letters to both of my Senators for what good it will do. Both will most likely vote their party line despite what their constituents wish.
I'm sure many will not see it the same way I do, but the NRA has seen the last of my money.
Don

50DEP

Posted: June 29 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

"I'm sure many will not see it the same way I do, but the NRA has seen the last of my money.
Don"

Im done withem too!

papabear47

Posted: July 12 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote papabear47

Until they return to a true 2A attitude as they were in the 60's I will stay with GOA and JPFO.

Bill

BigBlue

Posted: August 10 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

I knew it wouldn't do much good, here's the response I got from Sen."Turncoat" Specter:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding campaign finance reform. I appreciate you sharing your views with me on this important matter.

On January 21, 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Citizens United v. Federal Elections Commission. The Court struck down a law that prohibits corporations and unions from funding certain political advertisements on behalf of candidates for federal elected office. This decision has the potential to greatly increase special interest influence on elections.

The Democracy is Strengthened by Casting Light on Spending in Elections Act, known as the "DISCLOSE" Act, would implement a number of reasonable restrictions on special interest financing of campaigns, including a ban on contributions from corporations with 20 percent or greater foreign ownership or whose political operations are run from a foreign entity. Furthermore, this bill enhances transparency by requiring sponsors of political ads to appear at the end of the advertisement and disclosure of political spending made by corporations and unions.

Though it appears that we share different views on campaign finance reform, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. Should you have any further questions, please contact my office or visit my website at http://specter.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter

Instead of taking his constituents views into consideration, the bum tells me what his views are and will surely vote his new found party line. What a slimeball!
Don     

STCM(SW)

Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote STCM(SW)

"Instead of taking his constituents views into consideration, the bum tells me what his views are and will surely vote his new found party line.
What a slimeball!"

And you didn't know that.........

Back to Top View STCM(SW)'s Profile Search for other posts by STCM(SW)

wheezengeezer

Posted: August 11 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote wheezengeezer

I do not see this passing because of the opposition generated because of the NRA exemption.That was a brilliant move on their part.Your money is well utilized with them.The GOA was helpless in stopping this.    
Setting The Record Straight On The “DISCLOSE Act”

Friday, June 18, 2010

We appreciate the concerns some NRA members have raised about our position on H.R. 5175, the “DISCLOSE Act.” Unfortunately, the mainstream media and other critics of NRA’s role in this process have misstated or misunderstood the facts. We’d like to set the record straight.
We have never said we would support any version of this bill. To the contrary, we clearly stated NRA’s strong opposition to the DISCLOSE Act (as introduced) in a letter sent to Members of Congress on May 26 (click here to read the letter).
Through the courts and in Congress, the NRA has consistently and strongly opposed any effort to restrict the rights of our four million members to speak and have their voices heard on behalf of gun owners nationwide. The initial version of H.R. 5175 would effectively have put a gag order on the NRA during elections and threatened our members’ right to privacy and freedom of association, by forcing us to turn our donor lists over to the federal government. We would also have been forced to list our top donors on all election-related television, radio and Internet ads and mailings—even mailings to our own members. We refuse to let this Congress impose those unconstitutional restrictions on our Association.
The introduced version of the bill would also have prohibited political speech by all federal government contractors. The NRA has contracts to provide critical firearm training for our Armed Forces and law enforcement agencies throughout the country. The bill would have forced us to choose between training our men and women in uniform and exercising our right to free political speech. We refused to let this Congress force us to make that choice.
We told Congress we opposed the bill. Consequently, congressional leaders announced they would exempt us from its draconian restrictions on political speech. If that happens, we will not be involved in final consideration of this bill in the House. If it doesn’t, we will strongly oppose the bill.
Our position is based on principle and experience. During consideration of the previous campaign finance legislation passed in 2002, congressional leadership repeatedly refused to exempt the NRA from its provisions, promising that our concerns would be fixed somewhere down the line. That didn’t happen; instead, the NRA had to live under those restrictions for seven years and spend millions of dollars on compliance costs and on legal fees to challenge the law. We will not go down that road again when we have an opportunity to protect our ability to speak.
There are those who say the NRA should put the Second Amendment at risk over a First Amendment principle. That’s easy to say—unless you have a sworn duty to protect the Second Amendment above all else, as we do.
The NRA is a non-partisan, single-issue organization made up of millions of individual members dedicated to the protection of the Second Amendment. We do not represent the interests of other organizations. That’s their responsibility. Our responsibility is to protect and defend the interests of our members. And that we do without apology.
Today, the fate of the bill remains in doubt. The House floor debate has repeatedly been postponed. Lawmakers and outside groups who once supported the bill, or took no position—including the Brady Campaign—have now come out against it because of the announcement regarding NRA. The outcome in the Senate is even murkier, as anti-gun Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) has announced her strong opposition to the proposed change.
No matter what may happen now, NRA members can be assured that protection of gun owners’ interests will remain NRA’s top priority. Please check in regularly at www.nraila.org for the latest news on this issue.

NRA_life

Posted: October 17 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote NRA_life

This looked like a good thread to post this article.

Boomer

Posted: October 21 2010 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Boomer

Aren't you glad you have On-Star now???

Ominivision1

Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Ominivision1

I do have a problem with Big Brother tracking me.

And I have an even bigger problem when they attach one of their devices to anything that is my property.

..."When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

~Thomas Jefferson
Back to Top View Ominivision1's Profile Search for other posts by Ominivision1

NRA_life

Posted: November 01 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote NRA_life

Got this from GunVote.

Even the police are not safe from the idiocy.
Story and poll

50DEP

Posted: November 03 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

Well maybe now we are alittle closer to get the good ol USA back on track! elections over and it worked out OK the lesser of 2 evils I guess is a step in the right direction.

BigBlue

Posted: November 03 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote BigBlue

Here in PA. we lost Sen."turncoat" Specter and picked up a good 2nd amendment supporter in Pat Toomey.

"Whether for sportsmen and women or for self-protection from crime, Pat is a proud supporter of the Second Amendment, just as he supports all enumerated Constitutional rights.

Like the First Amendment’s right to free speech and a free press, the Second Amendment must be protected. As a member of Congress, Pat received top scores from organizations that are dedicated to gun ownership rights and policies. He would consistently support those policies in the Senate."

Maybe even more important for PA. is the fact that we are rid of Gov."Fast Eddie" Rendell and elected a gun rights supporter for Governor in Tom Corbett.

"Tom Corbett is a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, which endorsed him on his two previous statewide campaigns. He has tripled the number of concealed carry reciprocity agreements and has signed on with Attorneys General to challenge the handgun bans in Washington DC and Chicago."

Don

Edited by BigBlue on November 03 2010 at 3:07pm

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version