Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Hunting
 Handloads.Com Forum : Hunting
Subject Topic: Getting paid to whack hogs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

At my work, we patrol several sq. miles of wilderness. The manager of the place said he's had it with these huge hogs tearing the place up. The guy that traps them can't even put a dent in the hog population. So I was asked it I minded going out and cull the herd of wild porkers a bit.....yeah, I know I held back my jumping up and down. I said okey doke and this morning I droped a 350# black boar with my .45-70 at 75 yds. That 340 gr. cast FP at a modest 1300 fps tore into that tusker and dropped him in his tracks. The half dozen others scattered, but the big boy was down in a tic-toc

The best part is that I'm all by myself out here on Fri., and I have the run of the place. Figure if I'm being paid to keep the property secure from trespassers, then I'm doing my part by shooting invading hogs too. I could get used to shooting hogs and getting paid at the same time!

But one thing for sure, that big boy went down like he was hit with a cannon. This is the first time I've used any slug lighter than 385 gr., but I gotta tell ya that 340 FP did it's thing with ease. I was amazed it worked so well. The herds that run this place are all over so Im not going to run outta porkers too soon......

Well, that's it for now. I'll be going out again in a bit and see where there might be another trespassing tusker that needs terminating...

Later, Wade

The Old Ranger
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

Rigmarol

Posted: July 09 2010 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

Nice! I envy you your good fortune.

CUForester

Posted: July 09 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote CUForester

Darn you're lucky! You've got a "job" where you are actually encouraged to use weapons and hone your hunting and shooting skills. You also have a strong wife who is willing to stand her ground. The only way I can see for things to get better for you is if you hit the powerball on the day that your obnoxious neighbor drinks himself to death!

Old Ranger

Posted: July 11 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's kinda neat to go in to do my thing at the job, take a short drive throught the woods and get to plug a big porker all at the same time! Yepper, it's kinda cool....

As the the puke neighbor, he's laying low for now. I'm waiting for him to start his stuff....He'll be surprized......

Well, if I can get the pic I took with my phone to load, I'd show you guys the boar I plugged....I'll work on my cyber-skills and see if I can do that...

later,

Wade

Well, I tried to get the pic inserted, but I guess I shoot better than I do computer stuff! Oh well....

Edited by Old Ranger on July 11 2010 at 5:45pm

The Old Ranger

doghawg

Posted: July 13 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Wade

More details please! That was with the 340 gr. Lee bullet right? Did you recover the bullet or did it go right through? What alloy and any signs of expansion?

I load that bullet to 1300 fps in a Ruger #1 and was wondering if I needed to step it up a notch for deer... ...apparently not.

Randy

Old Ranger

Posted: July 15 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Randy,
This is the first critter I took with this slug except for a few coyotes. The boar was hit right in the boiler-room and dropped like a stone. Just a grunt/squeal once and dead on the spot. The load was with a Lee 340 FP with 30.2 gr of Reloader 7 and of course, wading to keep the powder in place.

There was no exit wound and the boar just went down quick. Funny thing is that I always used the old Ideal 385 RN for the past 40 plus years. Always one shot drop. But the Lee bullet is super accruate with this load of 30.2 Rx7 and hits 2.25" high at 50 yds and dead on at 100.

The mix is real old school, like me 16:1 lead to tin. This has been my hunting mix for years with the Ideal slug that will go at 405 gr. It will only weigh 385 with a Lyman #2 mix. But I prefer to do things the old way. Shot old trapdoors and Sharps. Sold them for house downpayment and now all I have is a Marlin Guide Gun. Thus the lighter slug.

All in all it did just what I wanted. No over penetration. Good accuracy. (.5" at 50 yds.-- 1.75~2" at 100) With factory open sights I can't ask for more.

So, in closing, I'm using this same load when I go hunt whitetails with my son this year. I am confident that a second shot will not be needed I'll have venison in the freezer this year. The little snub-nose .45-70 is quite a shooter! This load was worked up over the past few months and is the one that is tight and right for the weapon I'm using.

Take care,
Wade

The Old Ranger

Old Ranger

Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Here's an update on the hog genocide. This morning got to take out two more. Hit a near 400# boar at less than 50 yds away. Used the same load as before. Hit this big boy at a slight angle, but a good hit just the same. He ran about 40 ft. then dropped dead in his tracks. No exit wound.

Later, as I was making a round on the back side where the woods are thick, saw no porkers at all. Made a pass over an open area and bingo! A herd of about 15 off the road a bit 100 yds ahead. Slowed to a stop and punched another boar of about 200# with a head shot as he was walking toward me at less than 60 yds. It just keeps getting better and better here

I was thinking of bumping up the speed on this slug, but naw, its all good. This is some kinda killer load and it doesn't even kick. I've had .30-30's that kicked harder than this does. I always used old black powder weapons for the .45-70 and thus kept the loads mild and shot at the same velocity as BP would produce. Even thought this Marlin can take a lot more pressure, I'm not going there. At 7# this carbine is just right with the loads I'm shooting. On the money for accuracy and drops big hogs like a bazooka. Yup, I'm good....

Later, Wade

The Old Ranger

NRA Instructor

Posted: July 16 2010 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote NRA Instructor

"The guy that traps them can't even put a dent in the hog population"

I had to laugh at that sentence. Reminded me of the local gun shop owner who is a real wheeler-dealer horse trader who can find many ways to make money. He told me he once had a contract with Honda Motor Co to trap ground hogs who were a danger around the the 7 1/2 mile test track here. He made lots of money trapping and then releasing them a little way down the property!!

Old Ranger

Posted: July 19 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Hey Mike!

That sounds about right huh? Trap 'em and release 'em upwind! The guy that traps the hogs that wander into his traps keeps them at his place and will slaughter the little ones for BBQ, and the big ones? I have no idea. Probably turns them loose a few miles down the road for all I know!

Funny thing is that me, and another retired lawman, are the only ones that the mgr. will turn loose on the huge hog herd. The rest of my crew have no idea we're plugging these pigs. Fine by me!

If this keeps going like it is, we're averaging around five pigs a week. That's two to three more than Bubba traps! Yeah, we're having some fun here!

The Old Ranger

Slick

Posted: August 13 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

I'll be watching at the grocery for the new line of "Old Ranger" sausages to be released...

Old Ranger

Posted: August 14 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Slick,

These hogs are something else! They just keep comming. It's like there's no end to them. Old Ranger line of products will be on the market soon!

Since I started this hog hunt thing, my partner (another retired cop) and I have bumped off seven hogs anywhere from 200 pounds to one big boy of 450! My Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 has dropped them with a single hit. My partner is using an old Marlin 336 in .30-30. He's had to shoot one twice. He said he's getting a .45-70 soon! He was with me when I hit that 450# boar and the slug did him in right on the spot.

Yup, it is a real blast!

Later, Wade

The Old Ranger

M700

Posted: August 14 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote M700

Man, that must be a hoot! Enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your hog-busting!
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: August 15 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

M700,

I tried to load a pic in this system, but I guess I'm no expert with this method. But rest assured that me and my partner are dropping these hogs with ease. Almost too easy!

I just tried again to upload a pic, but blew it again. Oh well, guess I shoot better than I can use this thing here!

The Old Ranger

M700

Posted: August 16 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote M700

Yeah - to post a photo, you first have to have an account at one of the internet-based photo-hosting sites.

I use photobucket.

After that it's pretty easy to copy and paste the URL of your photo to the forum. If this ol' jarhead can figure it out - I think you can too!

Go out and whack some more hogs for us! I haven't shot a wild hog in at least 20 years... We don't have any up here in Washington, dang it!
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

Old Ranger

Posted: August 16 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Guy,

We're dealing with a old boy here that has mastered programing his VCR. Bad news is they don't even make them anymore!Internet-based photo-hosting sites? It would be easier for me to change lead into gold. I have no idea what that is. Shoot, I'm lucky to even converse with this device now! However, the pigs are still here and I can whack them without trying to figure out how to do cyber stuff.

Oh, by the way, be glad the hogs have not invaded your area. Once they get started, they spread like vermin and just simply ruin the area. I have dubbed them "VARMIT CONG" And I always was real good at doing in VC . So war has been declaired here on the hogs and I am more than ready...Hee hee hee...

More on the hog war as it progresses....

Wade

The Old Ranger

Bullfrog

Posted: August 26 2010 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Bullfrog

Wow I wish I lived closer to you, I would for sure take
some down.

I heard that wild hog meat is good eating. You dressed any
out?

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein

Back to Top View Bullfrog's Profile Search for other posts by Bullfrog Visit Bullfrog's Homepage

Old Ranger

Posted: August 26 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Man here on this place these guys are Russian mix feral hogs that are big, ugly, and nasty. My "orders" from the guy that runs the contract here is to "Terminate with extreme prejudice". They are over running this place and tearing up everything. So it just whack 'em and stack 'em time here! They've even charged my midnight guy while he was out of the truck checking out an open door on a building.

350 pound boar hit with 350 Flatpoint at 1450 fps

180 pound sow hit with 405 soft lead roundnose at1300 fps

I attempted to post some pics here. My luck it will show a shot of my weekend guard eating popcorn, but I tried

I hit one yesterday morning with a 405 soft lead at 1300 fps. The exit wound was 2" and the slug traveled through over 14" of piggy before exiting. Boo-ya!

Hope the pics worked this time...you know me and this cyber thingie!! (Edit: it worked! There's hope for me yet!)

Wade

Edited by Old Ranger on August 26 2010 at 6:38am

The Old Ranger

x_wrench
Newcomer

Posted: August 27 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote x_wrench

so, you get paid, get paid to shoot hogs, do you get to take the hog home for the meat? heck, even if you dont want it, you could donate it to "sportsman against hunger". i just hate to see good meat go to waste when we have people who can use it. heck, some place locally, there aught to be a couple of widows on a fixed income who could use some of it. almost everybody likes pork!
Back to Top View x_wrench's Profile Search for other posts by x_wrench

Old Ranger

Posted: August 28 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well I know it sounds wasteful, but here these hogs are huge and when they get that big they're real nasty. If we were shooting smaller ones there might be a chance to recover them, but the giant porkers are simplt too big and, as said before, nasty to take the time to recover. Further, the manager wants the big ones left in the area so to deter the remaining hogs from returning. The herds that run here are usually in the number of 20 to 25 and there are several herds on this place. We've got over 12 sq. mi. of property to patrol and where there are operations going on the hogs are destroying the place. Sooooo...We are just gunning them down. Again, I know it sounds wasteful, but our circumstances are as such that we cannot do much else. Hogs here are looked upon as vermin and thus the mgr. says get them outta here pronto. So we whack 'em.

The Old Ranger

drinks

Posted: August 31 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote drinks

Wade a razor knife, a pair of vise grips and a boning knife would let you strip some loins out quick and easy, just have an ice box ready and dump them in.
That sow would make good eats, soak in ice water 2 or 3 days then make sausage or moist slow cook.
I have used 300 lb boar loins, soaked, in smoked sausage and had very good results, for big sow, smoke on charcoal with some hickory a couple of hours, wrap in foil and slow cook another 4-5 hours. Um um um

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version