Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Cast Bullets
 Handloads.Com Forum : Cast Bullets
Subject Topic: Waage pot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
doghawg

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 30 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

The more casting I do the more I gravitate toward ladle casting...especially with bigger bullets. With the RCBS pot I've tinkered with the flow rates, different heights from the nozzle, swirling or direct pour, etc. and have turned out some nice bullets. BUT....Lately the bottom pour feature gets less use and I've been ladling and getting more uniform weights, sharper and crisper edges and better looking bullets with the ladle at slightly lower temps than bottom pours.

So...I called the # on their website (1-800-922-4365) and ordered the model K4757-1 from Marc Waage. Nice guy to talk to and he even gave me some casting tips. This 115 volt pot is 1/2" wider than the RCBS and I'm guessing it would comfortably hold 25 lbs. Folks, this thing is made like equipment used to be made years ago...nothing flimsy or cheap....and for $152!
It's too hot here on the "frozen tundra" to even think about casting but I'll give a report when I do. What I like the most is that sticker on the bottom of the box...It's made on this side of the planet!

Randy

Edited by doghawg on August 30 2010 at 3:00pm

Ham Gunner

Posted: August 30 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Randy,
Looks like a nice pot.
My largest bullet that I cast is a 282gr. .45 Colt bullet, but it is short enough that it usually works well enough in a bottom pour. But my long .30 cal. rifle bullets and even longer and skinnier 6.5mm bullets have always given me fits with fill out using a bottom pour. Like you, I have decided to just use my old Lyman nipple dipper on them and the results are much better and just about as fast actually.

We had a couple of nice days last week and it crossed my mind to cast a batch up, but other things prevented me from getting anything done. I usually need about half a day set aside to set up, cast a batch, and then clean up. If I don't have enough time to do it in a comfortable and relaxed manner without being rushed, then I just will not cast. But, the weather is getting cooler. Soon.

Edited by Ham Gunner on August 30 2010 at 6:08pm

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

erty

Posted: September 16 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote erty

doghawg, been a couple of weeks, tried that new pot yet? Curious minds want to know what ya think of it.
Back to Top View erty's Profile Search for other posts by erty

doghawg

Posted: September 17 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote doghawg

erty

I fired it up last night and am very pleased with the results. It holds over 20 lbs. comfortably, melts FAST and...best of all....maintains a steady temp even while adding sprues AND as the lead level dropped. I kept an RCBS thermometer in the pot at the various settings. With the dial set on "9" it headed up to over 800 degrees quickly but its "happy place" for me was at "7 1/2" which gave a constant 720 degrees. I ended up with a nice pile of RCBS 270 SAA's and NO temperature (and temper) excursions. I'm impressed with the way this thing is built and with a temperature dial setting change corresponding with a change in pot temp and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Waage.

They don't show this model on their website and don't advertise so a 1-800 phone call is the way to go. The guys over at "Cast Boolits" speak highly of this pot also.

Randy

Edited by doghawg on September 17 2010 at 7:49am

erty

Posted: September 21 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote erty

Sounds good, and it's made right here in the good ole USA. Gotta love that.

Do they offer any larger models and/or bottom pours?
Back to Top View erty's Profile Search for other posts by erty

nascflattracker

Posted: September 21 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote nascflattracker

you got me going randy. i fired up the coleman stove and the lee bottom feed and have been casting a few different moulds i pored some right off the stove that turn out great

doghawg

Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

erty

I think they make a lot of bigger commercial equipment but am not sure about the bottom pour question.

Jim

I'm glad you got fired up. I've been following a thread on another forum recommending getting the mold HOT and keeping the melt temp down. I've still got a lot to learn about casting but my remedy for incomplete fillout has been to turn up the pot temp. WRONG! For this last session I got the RCBS mold very HOT and kept the Waage pot at 710 degrees and the very first pour produced keeper bullets. There's more experimenting to do but I've learned another lesson....with many more lessons yet to come, no doubt.   

Randy

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version