Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Old Powder Info Wanted Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bobster549
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: September 21 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Bobster549

Hi all
New to Forum and have need to research some old powder. I have two 1 lb Cans of some Powder Called

PISTOL POWDER
made by Dupont and I am thinking from like 1920
Would anyone know about this and have any load data.

I did load some 9mm berry plated 124 Gr RN at 4.7 grain
burn well and clean, but I would like real data if available.

Thanks
Back to Top View Bobster549's Profile Search for other posts by Bobster549

Paul B.

Posted: September 21 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

There should be a number with the PISTOL POWDER. It would be like PISTOL POWDER #1 or #2, #3 or #5 and #6. Strange but I find no reference to a #4.
The #1 introduced in 1914, discontinued 1914. #3 introduced 1913, discontinued 1921. #5 introduced 1920, discontinued 1940. No mention of #2 or #4. I do have limited data for #6 which was not mentioned.
The following is from a Lyman #37 mloading manual circa 1950.
DuPont Pistol Powder #5. For generations this powder was a favorite for handgun oads, but was discontinued just prior to World War II, being superceded by their #6.
DuPont Pistol Powder #6. This powder generally requires smaller charges than #5 and burns cleaner. It's accuracy is well established.
DuPont P-5066. This powder is the newest in the DuPont line. Despite the excellence of Pistol #6, many handloaders preferred the older #5 and demanded it's return. DuPont responded with an improved version of #5 with this new designation. It cannot be loaded charge for charge with it's older version, and little is known about it other than it is a fine performer for standard velocity loadings.
I added the comments on P-5066 because years ago, a friend gave me 5 pounds of the stuff. He was given a big keg of the powder but had no data. I did have data and he copied it and gave me the powder.
I can't help you with numbers 1 through 4 but I do have some data for #6. If you can ID which number your Pistol Powder is, preferably #5 or #6, maybe I can help you out.
Paul B.

Edited by Paul B. on September 21 2010 at 12:11pm
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Rocky Raab

Posted: September 21 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

One trick I've used with pistol powders where I have no data is to make up a few test loads using data for Bullseye. Most handgun rounds have at least one load using bullseye, and as Bullseye is one of the fastest-burning powders available, data for it ought to be safe with almost any other powder.

I compare the velocity I get with Brand X compared to what I would have gotten with Bullseye to get a feel for how much slower the unknown powder is. If it's close, I'll keep using Bullseye data for it (and label the can as such). If it's notably slower, I load up a few more test rounds using data for Unique. Again, if it's close, I'll label it "Use Unique data".

If it's STILL slower, I'll try data for 2400 with the unknown. That's as far as I'll go.

Paul5388

Posted: September 21 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Welcome to the forum Bob!

Here's a picture of DuPont #6, with the #6 designation in the "shield" portion of the label.

This powder is probably from the early 1950s or late 1940s.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version