Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: Berger 168 grn Hunting VLD’s Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
oxjobber
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: January 28 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote oxjobber

I have been wanting to try some of the VLD Bergers,, Looking for any load data for a 308 Win. wanting to load the 168grn Hunting VLD , will be fired from a 26" hvy barrel Remington M700,, any help would be appreciated,, there just seems to be no data that I can find , and can't get a reply from Berger,,
Thanks
Back to Top View oxjobber's Profile Search for other posts by oxjobber

M700

Posted: January 28 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Have you loaded more conventional 165 - 168 grain bullets for your .308 Win rifle yet?

For many years I've been loading various 165 & 168 gr hunting and match bullets for my .308 Win, a Rem 700. Mostly with either Varget or Reloader 15. I also load 155 grain bullets often, and with good results.

When I decided to try the Berger VLD's, I simply backed off a grain from my standard loads, and seated them to magazine length. Longer would have fit the chamber, but I wanted rounds that would fit in the magazine and cycle through the action. Later I worked back up to my standard powder charges, according to the Hodgdon data.

The Bergers fly well. I got better accuracy from the 155's than the 168 gr VLD's, but that was my rifle. Yours may prefer the 168's. Both were good though.

If you're interested in hunting with them - I've taken three mule deer with Berger VLD bullets - but all were with my .25-06 & 115 gr VLD's. Haven't yet taken a shot at game with the .308 (or the .300 WSM) and Bergers. BTW, the .300 WSM is very accurate with 190 & 210 gr VLD's - for whatever that may be worth.

So - the short version was that I simply backed off one grain of Varget, and loaded to mag length, then worked up to my old standard top load. The Bergers shot well. Not more or less accurate than the Sierra and Nosler match bullets I'd been using, but they did shoot flatter and seemed less susceptible to crosswinds as well.

Favorite hunting bullet for the .308 remains the 165 Nosler Accubond, or the 165 Ballistic Tip, depending on how much weight retention & penetration I'm after. Great hunting bullets with accuracy that rivals the match bullets.

Regards, Guy

Edited by M700 on January 28 2011 at 7:20pm
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

oxjobber
Newcomer

Posted: January 28 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote oxjobber

Thanks ,Yes I have loaded Matchking HP's, in 168 and 190 for My Bolt gun ,and I load 168 MKHP's in my M1A,Just was concerned on differences in Bullets,I've had to Back of 150 loads due to Pressure when going from a Hornady SST"s, to the Accubond,,You Echo My thoughts on Backing dwn and working back up,, I guess this is a Whim Deal to see if the Berger is worth the extra Money over a Accubond or SST, in hunting applications
Thanks for the Info

Edited by oxjobber on January 28 2011 at 9:47pm

davemuzz

Posted: January 29 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote davemuzz

Ox,

PM me your email address and I will email you an excel spreadsheet that Berger sent to me. It has all of their .308 168gr. load data on it.

Dave

PS...I tried to do a copy\paste to this....but it gets all funky.

25-06RT

Posted: January 29 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote 25-06RT

I have only killed one deer with a Berger VLD. It was the 155 gr which Berger suggested I use in an e-mail when I questioned them which bullet for a 308 Win on deer.

I actually used my 30X47 HBR, the 300 Savage case with the shoulder pushed back 10 thousands but left the same OAL. I used 42 grs IMR 4895 in a WW case and a CCI-BR2 and got average 2650 fps with one bullet hole size groups @ 100 yards. I got lucky I guess when I loaded to magazine length which is a good ways off the lands. This was before Berger found out that their VLD would shoot just as good as it did jammed into the lands loaded waaaaaay off the lands. I would start loading to magazine length and then load 2 or 3 series of test rounds shorter by 10 thousands at a time to see if your accuracy improves.
I wanted to test this bullet out on a doe before I tried it out on a buck just in case. I shot an average 130 lb on the hoof size doe at 111 yards. Shot was broad side through the shoulders. At the shot the deer took off like it had been shot out of a cannon into a THICK NC cut over. I went to the spot the deer was standing when shot and on the off side for about 5 yards was a line on the ground with a spray of blood and lung tissue pieces. I had to get down in my hands and knees and crawl back down this deer path in the thick cut over. I found NO BLOOD TRAIL. I found the deer about 50 yards into the cut over. It had an exit hole the size of a base ball and the reason that I found no blood trail is because there was nothing to pump any blood out. It's chest cavity was liquid. It literally sloshed.

I have not tried a VLD any more because I have found for out to 300 yards which is about as far as I have to shoot when deer hunting with one of my 30 cal rifles or Contender pistol the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip is a death ray on deer. BANG FLOP. If I hunt on a portion of the farm I hunt that is going to be over 300 yards shots I use either my 25-06 or 264 Win mag or 6.5X55.

Varger, RL15, IMR or H 4895 have all been great powders in the 308 Win for me.
Back to Top View 25-06RT's Profile Search for other posts by 25-06RT

oxjobber
Newcomer

Posted: January 29 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote oxjobber

Thanks , sounds as tho the 168 VLD will be Murder on a Hog shot in the pounch,, Guess the Berger is a Whim deal , but if it shootz as ya'll all say , may have to rest my 180SST's abit,, I have a 60 acre field that sets under a ridgeline ,that the Hogs and Yotes like to prowl,, and with its layout ya can shoot a country Mile
Seems Like Varget and 4895, are still the Ticket for this Bullet,, Here where I live Vit. is non exsitant,, think about 150 miles to the closest source
Thanks again

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version