Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: .40 S&W with Rainier Bullets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
O_Person

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 23 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote O_Person

I've been loading .40 S&W for a Glock with a WSP and 6.3 grains of UNIQUE behind a Hornady 180 grain HP-XTP bullet. All seems to function well, and other than noise there don't seem to be any serious issues.

I'd like to try some Rainier 180 grain FP, electroplated bullets. I've seen pros and cons for that bullet, but I'm ready to give it a go, especially for the less expensive indoor plinking. The boards as well as the Rainier Web site say to treat and load the bullet as if it were lead, so I've looked into the Hornady manual for loads for their 180 grain HP-XTP vs 180 grain lead bullets. While there are no loads shown for Unique, it does appear that a comparison of loads for AA No.5, ViHT N-340, and SR 4756 show just about the same charge for either bullet.

Given that UNIQUE is right next to AA No.5 on the burn chart and the fact that I'm looking at least one half grain (two steps) below the max. AA No.5 recommended load, does anyone see any potential difficulties with loading for a .40 S&W Glock with a WSP and 6.3 grains of UNIQUE behind the Rainier 180 grain FP electroplated bullet? Also, does anyone see any difficulties with using this bullet in Glock's "jacketed bullet" barrel rather than the special "lead bullet" barrel?

Beyond that, would you suggest or recommend your own set up for this bullet?

Thnks
Back to Top View O_Person's Profile Search for other posts by O_Person

Alpha_Mutt

Posted: February 24 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Alpha_Mutt

I can not comment on 40S&W but I have used thousands of Rainer bullets in 9mm and 185gr 45ACP. For my purposes they are accurate enough and fouling isn't different from FMJ bullets, including out my HKs. I do follow the advice of not not pushing them to extreme speeds. IMO they are a very good value.
Back to Top View Alpha_Mutt's Profile Search for other posts by Alpha_Mutt

Reloader06

Posted: February 24 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Reloader06

You are changing a component. That means working the load back up. YMMV.

Matt

fredj338

Posted: February 25 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote fredj338

O_Person wrote:
I've been loading .40 S&W for a Glock with a WSP and 6.3 grains of UNIQUE behind a Hornady 180 grain HP-XTP bullet. All seems to function well, and other than noise there don't seem to be any serious issues.

I'd like to try some Rainier 180 grain FP, electroplated bullets. I've seen pros and cons for that bullet, but I'm ready to give it a go, especially for the less expensive indoor plinking. The boards as well as the Rainier Web site say to treat and load the bullet as if it were lead, so I've looked into the Hornady manual for loads for their 180 grain HP-XTP vs 180 grain lead bullets. While there are no loads shown for Unique, it does appear that a comparison of loads for AA No.5, ViHT N-340, and SR 4756 show just about the same charge for either bullet.

Given that UNIQUE is right next to AA No.5 on the burn chart and the fact that I'm looking at least one half grain (two steps) below the max. AA No.5 recommended load, does anyone see any potential difficulties with loading for a .40 S&W Glock with a WSP and 6.3 grains of UNIQUE behind the Rainier 180 grain FP electroplated bullet? Also, does anyone see any difficulties with using this bullet in Glock's "jacketed bullet" barrel rather than the special "lead bullet" barrel?

Beyond that, would you suggest or recommend your own set up for this bullet?

Thnks

Yeah, not a good idea. Plated bullets actually load between a lead & jacketed. The 40 is a small volumn/high pressure round. Your load is already pushing the top end. I run 5.8gr under a 175grLFP @ 1.125"OAL, makes 950fps. I like a margin for error or bullet setback. OAL is critical w/ the 40.
Plated bullet run fine in the factory Glock bbl, just load them a bit lower than the jacketed load. A 5% reduction seems to give sim chronograph readings to jacketed.

Edited by fredj338 on February 25 2011 at 12:46am
Back to Top View fredj338's Profile Search for other posts by fredj338

gotsig?

Posted: February 25 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote gotsig?

I used 165g Berry's FP bullets w/ 6.2g of Unique @ 1.13" and got 997fps.

6.4g was in at 1014fps.

I ran both loads through my Sig P229 and Glock 27 with no problems at all in the standard Glock barrel.
Back to Top View gotsig?'s Profile Search for other posts by gotsig?

O_Person

Posted: February 26 2011 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote O_Person

I appreciate all of your comments and the sage advice. Yup, I'm old, but I'm not too old to learn ! And so, with respect to the .40 S&W reloading:

I'm going to back off the Hornady 180 grain jacketed HP-XTP load to 5.8 grains of UNIQUE with the WSP primer. Right now that's in FEDERAL brass, though I do have access to WINCHESTER and others. I'm measuring the stuff, especially the diameters down by the case web. I've been setting COL at beteween 1.123 and 1.125 which I'll probably maintain.

For the Rainier 180 grain electroplated flat point I'll go down a bit to 5.5 grains of UNIQUE with all else the same as the Hornady loads.

I'm really not looking for maximum velocity, and from your experiences and info I'm assuming these specs should result in "reasonable" speeds (900 to 950 fps) out of a Glock 23 while providing a far better margin of safety.

Thanks, and keep the wisdom coming. I appreciate, listen to, and act on it all !!
Back to Top View O_Person's Profile Search for other posts by O_Person

edfardos
Newcomer

Posted: March 03 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote edfardos

The load data for AA#5 is wildly conflicting between
publishers. AA (the powder company) lists the max charge
for Berry/Rainer bullets much lower than other sources.
I've literally shot 1000 Berry 180's with 6.3grains of
AA#5, and about 600 with 6.5grains of AA#5 in 40S&W
through a Ruger P944. I have no idea what speed this is,
and Federal primers (soft) show some cratering, but no
significant primer flatness.

Also, just because two powders are next to each other on
the chart doesn't mean they have a close burn rate. The
"chart" can have some pretty big gaps between powders
here and there.

--edfardos
Back to Top View edfardos's Profile Search for other posts by edfardos

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc