Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: 32 cal muzzle loader Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wolfdog

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Went to a local gun shop today to see how he was coming on some custom work (have a remington 341p being milled for 3/8" front and rear sights since they no longer make sights for it). Saw a little 32 cal muzzle loader for 249 bucks. I was thinking..I could shoot a patched 0 buckshot in it pretty cheap..and recoil would be nil. The only issue is, you can't legally shoot deer here in muzzle loader only areas with a sub 45 cal ML here. Now I would be able to legaly shoot them in normal rifle areas as they have no cal requirements. We have no muzzle loader only zones and all ML zones are also bow and shotgun...so not much of a loss. Do you think the little 32 cal would be enough for deer, and as a basic woods gun..how would it do?

turbo1889

Posted: July 16 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote turbo1889

A 32-cal muzzle loader (I assume itís a rifle or carbine not a pistol) is a squirrel, jackrabbit, and fox hunting gun in my opinion.

Now I do realize that deer can be taken with 22-lr but with the low power light caliber guns shot placement becomes extremely critical. I know a gentleman that has always hunted deer with a 22-mag bolt action but he either shoots them in the eye or right behind the ear. If you can shoot that 32-cal muzzle loader with that level of precision then go right ahead and hunt deer with it. If you canít then I wouldnít recommend it. Yes, it might be shooting OO buck size pellets but when you shoot deer with a OO buck shotgun loads your shooting a whole pattern of that size ball not just one of them and if you are a half way ethical shotgun hunter you are no more then 30 yards from the deer or so. With a muzzle loader rifle I know I would be tempted to take longer shots then that.

Just my $0.02 take it for what it is worth.

To the most serious charge of "ARMING WOMEN" I plead guilty on multiple counts.
Back to Top View turbo1889's Profile Search for other posts by turbo1889

wolfdog

Posted: July 17 2011 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

hm, I never really thought of it as a .22 type gun, kinda looked at it as making a 32spl sized hole in the deer and figured penetration wouldn't be a huge issue. I usually hunt rabbit/squirrel with an airgun and though the 32cal would far above that in power. Perhaps I'm overestimating what it was capable of.

richhodg66

Posted: July 22 2011 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I have real limited experience with the very small muzzle loaders, but did shoot them some when I was a kid. Very cheap and fun to shoot, and would be a good small game getter, but I have to agree, it would be like deer hunting with a .32 S&W. For that price, if it's in good shape, I think it would be a hoot to have.

Get a .50 if you want to big game hunt. The bullet and accessory selections are so much better for .50s than any other and conicles in those anchor deer with decisiveness. We have a good, early muzzle loader season here and I love to hunt with a Hawken.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version