Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: Playing with my new 1862 Colt Police Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lovesrugers

Online Status: Online
Posted: August 15 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

After searching for a few years I finally found a reproduction 1862 Colt in .36 caliber.

I have been eying it at Cabelas for awhile now but just couldn't bring myself to pay $299 for one. Well today I had a 10% off coupon and finally decided to bite the bullet and get one, but first I had to check the bargain cave. Good thing I did because they had a few bp pistols in there today and wouldn't you know it they had an 1862 Police model that I have been wanting marked down. I quickly asked if I could use my 10 percent off coupon on it and they said yep. I ended up paying $216 plus tax for the gun. Not great but way better than $300.

Of course the first thing I had to do with it was head off to the range. For my first load I used 16 grains of 777 powder and placed the target at 7 yards. I have heard that these guns were notorious for shooting high so I didn't know what to expect. I just went ahead and aimed at the bullseye using my usual 6 o clock hold. Upon squeezing the trigger I was rewarded with a hole just to the left of the bull. I quickly went ahead and fired off the remaining five shots and was rewarded with a near one hole group. I was impressed. For the next load I upped the powder charge to 20 grains of 777. and moved the target to 15 yards. Once again I was rewarded with hits exactly where I was aiming. From there I decided to play back and forth with 16 and 20 grains but didn't see any advantage between the two different loads on the 15 yard target.   The 20 grain load had a bit more recoil, but that was it. I can't wait to chrony the loads and see what the gun is doing. I also need to pick up a bullet mould, maybe a conical.
Jerry
Of course my son had to use my cellphone to make a video of me shooting the gun. Here is a link to it.
Me shooting an 1862 Colt Police
The first six shots from the new gun.

The fifteen yard target.

Edited by lovesrugers on August 15 2011 at 6:44pm
Back to Top View lovesrugers's Profile Search for other posts by lovesrugers

Old Ranger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Proud of ya! That's a fine looking weapon. I know you have been looking for a colt for some time now. Glad you got one. Yup, that's one nice looking revolver....

I love the Colts (got five of 'em and will have more as soon as I can get more cash!)

Not to be a whiny critic, but do go easy with the T7 loads. The revolver you have will start to rattle a bit with a real steady diet of T7 in full loads. But I shoot T7 in my '51 Navy with a weighed charge of only 12.5gr. and that works out to right at a 20 gr. charge of what would be BP. That is as hot as I want to go. T7 sure shoots alot cleaner than good old BP, but it's got it's qirks...

Again, real proud of ya!

Wade

The_Shadow

Posted: August 16 2011 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

That's great looking gun and shooting with it!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

lovesrugers

Posted: August 17 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Thanks guys.

Wade, I didn't even think about the design deficiencies of the Colt. I am so used to my Rugers that I didn't even consider the extra oompf that 777 provides.

My main concern was that at the 16 grain charge weight it seemed that I was running out of ram/ball seater travel. I was worried I might get an air space in the powder charge. I know I could use a filler but man I hate having to do that extra step.

Oh well I did some research and found that my manuals recommend around 22 grains of real bp for 700 fps or so. I know from past chronying that my 1858 Remington in .36 cal did around 800 fps with 20 grains of 777 so it appears I may need to back off just a bit. Of course according to Hodgdon's data with my steel frame gun I should be safe at up to 20 grains of 777 which would be good for around 832 fps.

Darn it I need to hit the range with my chrony to see what is happening and go from there.

Jerry

Old Ranger

Posted: August 17 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Jerry,

I hear ya. The only thing that really takes a beating with the colt design is the barrel wedge. That part is the first to get battered with alot of heavy loads. The interior part, for the most part, will hold up qite well except for springs.

I hadda rebuild two '51's that were constantly loaded with 22 gr. of the old DuPont 3f BP some years ago. One of 'em was mine! So after I was in the gunsmithing business for a while I worked on tons of BP wheelguns and rifles. Not many shotguns BP or modern...

But yeah, the wedge needs to be closely watched for signs of being battered in the arbor/barrel slots. Other than that, you're good to go and, once again, Reall glad you got a Colt!

Wade

lovesrugers

Posted: August 17 2011 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Wade, funny you mention the wedge. That is the exact part I figured would wear out.

Of course on my first cleaning of the gun I had a lots of fun figuring out how to get the wedge out. It was really stuck in there! I finally ended up using a padded steel punch and rubber hammer.    In doing this I was scared to death I was going to mar the gun in some way. On my next trip to the tool store I am going to get a set of brass punches to use instead.

Sorta off topic, but after handling and shooting this gun I can see why Wild Bill Hitchcock favored the 1851 Navy model in .36 caliber. Heck they had a reproduction one in the case like his but I still went with the Police model. After one shooting session I found it very fast to get on target and stay on target. Compared to my Remington .44's and my big Ruger this gun would be the one I would carry if I was in Wild Bill's situation. Ok, I would also carry a pair of them like Wild Bill for obvious reasons.
Jerry

Old Ranger

Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Jerry,

I agree. I've had Ruger Blackhawks (all old 3 screw models, service 6's and such) but the Colt navy points like nothing Ive ever had in my hand

As to the wedge, just use a rawhide mallet. Tap it a bit, then check the wedge screw on teh leftside. Tap a bit more and then loosen that screw. The wedge should just pop or slip out. That wedge screw is made to limit the clinder/barrel gap. Once you get it set, it's a snap to keep that gap just where you want it.

I've seen wedges punched out with hammers, plyers, screwdrives and such. I alway shuder when folks do that The less metal contact to that wedge the better..

Hope you don't think I'm acting like a wiseguy, and I know you're way too smart and got tons of weapon time under your belt. But this Colt system is new to you, and after 46 or so years of Colt BP shooting, I'd save you some time and grief from trying to learn it on your own

If ya need anything shoot me a PM and we'll get it all figured out pronto!

Wade

Rigmarol

Posted: August 17 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Rigmarol

Hold on a cotton pickin minute Mr Ranger sir. Anything you got to say
to LR I wanna read too

I have a new BP revolver in the stable too and yeas it's my first Colt
BP revolver. I just haven't shared yet cuz I can't get a picture of it that
I like.

Any way, good info on the wedge, I'm glad I read about it... Hope to
see more.
Back to Top View Rigmarol's Profile Search for other posts by Rigmarol

Old Ranger

Posted: August 17 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Sorry Rig!!!

Yup, we can start our own little school of BP C&B I guess

So what ya shootin?

lovesrugers

Posted: August 17 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Wade I will take any advice you have to give on this gun especially on how to safely remove that wedge pin.

In my search on the best way to remove it on the net the other day I did come across one tip that I found handy. Once the pin is out rotate the cylinder so the bullet rammer comes down between cylinders. You can than use the rammer to separate the barrel from the frame. If I hadn't read that I am sure I would have been inventing a few new words while trying to pull the barrel with just my hands.

Jerry

Old Ranger

Posted: August 18 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Yeah Jerry, that's an old trick that always gets the barrel off easy. Another thing I might mention. On the hand and ratchet area on the back of the cylinder, when you have it all cleaned, put a dab of RIG or other gun grease of your choice on those areas. The Colt is real prone to binding if this is lightly lubed with just oil alone. The ratchet, although large, has to be pushed by the hand that is just pivoting on the hammer. It can wear down prematurely of you don't keep it running free as you can. That area is more prone to gathering carbon and other debris as opposed to the Remington type revolver. So cleaning there is critical to good performance.

I've had a lifelong love affair so to speak with Colt percussion revolvers. Shot my first when I was 9 and was hooked for life That old Colt I shot as a kid belonged to my great uncle. It was an original Colt 1860 Army that he had as a kid before he got his BP Colt SSA in 4 3/4". That oldman taught me some, but passed away before I learned what I really needed. So I had to learn the rest on my own...Guess he did too...

Later,
Wade

Paul5388

Posted: August 23 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

It looks like the main interest of crystallan is spam, so I blocked that IP address.

Old Ranger

Posted: August 24 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Paul, I have no idea what you just said
What does that mean anyway?

Wade

lovesrugers

Posted: August 24 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote lovesrugers

Wade, we had a spammer with the username crystallan that posted some spam in this thread as well as a few others.   I went ahead and removed their posts and deactivated the account.

Jerry

Old Ranger

Posted: August 24 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Oh, computer talk. I get it now

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version