Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: .30-06 or other .30’s and the Berger VLD? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
M700

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October 31 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote M700

Enjoyed good success with the 115 VLD's from my .25-06, and the 210's shoot good from my .300 WSM. I had a box of 185 VLD's just sitting there so loaded up a few for my .30-06 last night - anyone here use Berger VLD's from a .30-06 before? Experiences? Thoughts?

Curious to see how the old warhorse does with these fancy bullets. Will likely be after hunting season is over when I get to the range with them. Not messing with my current, very good, hunting loads.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

TexIndian

Posted: October 31 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Heck, I've been waiting on you. I've got boxes of both the 168 and 175 hunting VLDs sitting on the shelf to try in the new GAP and LaRue .308s.

Who me? A hoarder?
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

M700

Posted: October 31 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote M700

From the .308, I found the 155 Berger VLD wasn't quite as accurate as my usual 155 gr Nosler & Sierra match bullets - but I need to play around with that one more. Never have run through the whole gamut of seating depths and powder charges. Quite likely that there's a magic formula that will send the Bergers into one hole.

With the 168 VLD's - my rifle and I need a LOT of work. It shoots 168 Sierras and Noslers very well. The Bergers... Not so hot. At least not yet. I'll mess with these as well.

Guy

TexIndian

Posted: November 01 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I read an article from the Berger guys recently about getting the VLDs to shoot well without jamming them into the lands. It suggested moving them back in increments of .010 until you find a sweet spot where they start shooting well. Haven't tried it yet.

I've also got a box of the Berger 175 'Tactical' bullets that are supposed to work well at lengths that will fit a magazine. Haven't tried them yet either (or the Lapua Scenar 155s).

With the new guns, I'm trying to get a conventional load or two that I like before I venture on. I plan on doing it right this time. I'm setting up some rounds right now for ladder testing - in all 5 of my .308s while I'm at it. And then there's that new .223......... So many projects, so little time.

Who me? A hoarder?
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

M700

Posted: November 01 2011 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote M700

Spent a while yesterday talking with an old friend and fellow shooter. He uses one long-range/precision rifle, a .308 Win/Rem 700, and has settled on one load built around the 175 Sierra Matchking.

At the Oregon Sniper Challenge last year, he was hitting the gong at 1340 yards! That's pretty impressive...

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version