Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Hollywood Senior Turret reloading press Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lurker

Online Status: Offline
Posted: February 07 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

Has anyone here any experience with a Hollywood Senior Turret reloading press?

I just acquired one of them in mint condition.

Bill
Back to Top View Lurker's Profile Search for other posts by Lurker

The_Shadow

Posted: February 08 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Congrats! I haven't seen one in person but only in pictures. They are said to be quite strong and functional.

Best of luck!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Rocky Raab

Posted: February 08 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Rocky Raab

The only two things that might be an issue are die thread size and type of shellholder. Neither was standardized in the old days, and some presses would not accept other makes of dies or shellholders. Some even had the shellholder cut into the ram; you had to replace the entire ram to load a difference case head size!

farmall

Posted: February 08 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote farmall

Local gun shop had one in prety nice condition, but needed cleaned up...he sat on it forever at $60, but it finally moved.

Looked like a hell for stout press, and pretty cool to look at. IIRC, the lever and ram operate backwards, in other words, to raise the ram, you raise the handle. This one took standard dies and shell holders.

Lurker

Posted: February 08 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

This Hollywood senior Turret press, takes standard dies and shell holders...

Bill

ETA:
There is one just like mine, offered for sale on Fleabay; the idiot offering it for sale, is asking $1050.00 for it.

There must not be a limit to the greed in his house.

Bill

Edited by Lurker on February 08 2012 at 4:04pm

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 11 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Lurker

I have an old Hollywood press, it has been in my family for nearly 40 years. They were the top of the line back then, built like D-8s. You can swage bullets with them if you have the bracer bar that stabilizes the turret.

Mine is fitted out with a set of .45 Colt dies and a set of .45 ACP dies and my RCBS powder measure and there is one hole open, for a trim die....

If you can find one .. buy it, you can pass it on to generations to come.
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Lurker

Posted: February 11 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

John Van Gelder wrote:
Lurker

I have an old Hollywood press, it has been in my family for nearly 40 years. They were the top of the line back then, built like D-8s. You can swage bullets with them if you have the bracer bar that stabilizes the turret.

Mine is fitted out with a set of .45 Colt dies and a set of .45 ACP dies and my RCBS powder measure and there is one hole open, for a trim die....

If you can find one .. buy it, you can pass it on to generations to come.

I have the bracer/stiffener bar on mine. I think the one I have, because of the 7/8X14 Die mounting holes and the ability to use standard shell holders, is one of the last ones built. The friend of mine that I bought it from when he went belly up over a broad, said he bought it in 1980 from the original company, Hollywood Engineering, that built it.

This friend bought the press from Hollywood Engineering which was a co-owned business, along with the Hollywood Gun Shop. Hollywood Engineering, is still in existance under different ownership. If you look around the Internet you'll see they are having customer relations problems.

And, the quality of their workmanship leaves a lot to be desired under the new owners according to the Internet posts I have read.

Bill

Edited by Lurker on February 12 2012 at 2:21pm

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 12 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Lurker

I am not sure of the history on mine, it belonged to my brother then he gave it to my dad and I ended up with it. It is one of those things that once you get it in place you are in no hurry to move it again...
Back to Top View John Van Gelder's Profile Search for other posts by John Van Gelder

Lurker

Posted: February 12 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

John Van Gelder wrote:
Lurker

I am not sure of the history on mine, it belonged to my brother then he gave it to my dad and I ended up with it. It is one of those things that once you get it in place you are in no hurry to move it again...

You're right, this press won't ever leave my loading room. It's like me, an antique, an antique ahead of the world for it's time...

I used to go to the old Hollywood Gun Shop when I first moved to the Los Angeles area. That place was like a museum with all of the things shooting related there. It was a sad day for me when it closed.

Bill

Edited by Lurker on February 12 2012 at 2:11pm

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 12 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Bill

There were a lot of places I used to go to hang out and talk about guns, there were old gun shops that had been in place for generations and were like museums. There was a friend of one of my shipmates and I that was a real collector, he had stuff I have never seen before and will never see again. He had a collection of 1873 colts that would rival a museum. He was an avid black powder shooter and all of his guns were originals. He had some old guns that he hunted squirrels with that were 200 years old, and still in good working order.

He spent a lot of time trying to make me proficient with a flintlock, but I just could not get over having the priming charge go off that close to my face. I shot a group one day from 25 yard off hand that you could cover with a quarter. But they were all off to the left, Emmet looked at me and said "well at least your are flinching consistently"..

Sorry that has nothing to do with Hollywood Presses...

John

Lurker

Posted: February 12 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

Joohn, I notice you're from NE Oregon. Would you mind telling me the area your in?

I have looked at houses in the Entrprise area. Medical problems for both my wife and I, have kept us in Southern California. Hopefully these things are getting behind us and when the damned economy improves and houseing values go back up around here, we are going to leave.

Bill

ETA: Hollywood Senior Turret Press... Just to stay on topic...!

Edited by Lurker on February 12 2012 at 3:26pm

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 12 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Bill

I live in the Blue Mountains about 20 miles above Pendleton. I know Enterprise, they get a bit more winter over there, but it is really nice country.

And if you run out of primers for your Hollywood press, it is not that far to Lewiston, ID..See how I worked that in...

John

Lurker

Posted: February 12 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lurker

John Van Gelder wrote:
Bill

I live in the Blue Mountains about 20 miles above Pendleton. I know Enterprise, they get a bit more winter over there, but it is really nice country.

And if you run out of primers for your Hollywood press, it is not that far to Lewiston, ID. See how I worked that in...

John

That's right, CCI primers are made in Lewiston, ID and they will fit my Hollywood Senior Turret press...!

Bill

John Van Gelder

Posted: February 12 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote John Van Gelder

Bill

It's your thread and we can talk about anything you want..

John

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version