Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: Load for X-Treme 9mm 115gr HP Plated Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DaveAnt
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Hi everyone
New to the group. I've been loading about 6 months and have a question on load Data
I am looking for a Safe starting load/OAL that will reliably cycle "stock" Glock 17
Using X-Treme 9mm 115gr HP Plated. with Hogdon"TiteGroup"

Hope someone can help me out, Not much info on plated rnds out there.everything I have read says somewhere between LRN and FMJ ? not comfortable with "Somewhere"

Thank you for your time

David
Back to Top View DaveAnt's Profile Search for other posts by DaveAnt

Paul5388

Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Welcome to the forum David!

Most of what I've heard seems to indicate loads closer to lead bullets should be used. A lot of it depends on the thickness of the plating, with that varying quite a bit with different manufacturers.

You might give them a call at (800) 482-2103 and see what they say about how to load them.

The_Shadow

Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

Another welcome Dave! Paul offers some good advice, because the plated bullets are meant to be an alternative to lead/alloy to elininate leading or be used where lead can not be used, provide better feeding reliability like a jacketed round. However they were not meant to be run full throttle as a cheap plinking bullet. So to keep within the bullet's design select loads which run under 1200 fps for most plated types. Some barrel/rifling provide better results than others.

There are some plated bullets that will perform over the 1200 fps with slightly thicker plating, their price usually will reflect this thicker plating.

Best regards!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 14 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
Welcome to the forum David!

Most of what I've heard seems to indicate loads closer to lead bullets should be used. A lot of it depends on the thickness of the plating, with that varying quite a bit with different manufacturers.

You might give them a call at (800) 482-2103 and see what they say about how to load them.

I didn't make it in time to call yesterday so I e-mailed them instead.
The plated arrived yesterday and plating is very thick like FMJ almost. I tried to scratch it off but couldn't.
I wasn't expecting them to have so much copper on them. Nice product, just need to find a load now.

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 14 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

The_Shadow wrote:
Another welcome Dave! Paul offers some good advice, because the plated bullets are meant to be an alternative to lead/alloy to elininate leading or be used where lead can not be used, provide better feeding reliability like a jacketed round. However they were not meant to be run full throttle as a cheap plinking bullet. So to keep within the bullet's design select loads which run under 1200 fps for most plated types. Some barrel/rifling provide better results than others.

There are some plated bullets that will perform over the 1200 fps with slightly thicker plating, their price usually will reflect this thicker plating.

Best regards!

I believe they have been known to separate at vel over 1200 fps but that is just something I've read

I have some data that came with my dies for plated but not with the powders I currently have. may have to go shopping again.

Paul5388

Posted: April 14 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

From what I'm reading in Lyman 48th Edition, the max load for a 120 gr lead bullet is 3.8 gr of Titegroup. I would back off to around 3.5 gr, or a little less and see what the functioning looks like.

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 14 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
From what I'm reading in Lyman 48th Edition, the max load for a 120 gr lead bullet is 3.8 gr of Titegroup. I would back off to around 3.5 gr, or a little less and see what the functioning looks like.

I also saw that, But being that I haven't been reloading long I was looking for someone with more experience to point that out as an option.

Sounds like a safe load, I will try 20 at that load and go from there.
I have a match next Saturday so I hope to not have to shoot "Whitebox" if I can get this down in time.

Thank you very much.

Paul5388

Posted: April 14 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

David, I didn't mean you have to stay at the lower loads, if everything looks alright. If you need more for some sort of power factor, you can work up from your starting point. Of course, accuracy will also play a part in the final load selected.

Edited by Paul5388 on April 14 2012 at 9:12am

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 14 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
David, I didn't mean you have to stay at the lower loads, if everything looks alright. If you need more for some sort of power factor, you can work up from your starting point. Of course, accuracy will also play a part in the final load selected.

I gotcha!

It will probably go to 3.8-3.9 I would think. just need to find the sweet spot for my 17. Power factor is a concern down the road. I think my buddy knows someone with a Crony so I will check it for power factor with that

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 16 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

DaveAnt wrote:
Paul5388 wrote:

I gotcha!

It will probably go to 3.8-3.9 I would think. just need to find the sweet spot for my 17. Power factor is a concern down the road. I think my buddy knows someone with a Crony so I will check it for power factor with that

I ended up going with 20 rnds @ 3.6 and 20 @ 3.8 w/OAL of 1.140
We will see... I need the time to get out and test em
I think the OAL @ 1.140 should be ok.

Paul5388

Posted: April 16 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Lyman has 1.065" OAL, but you'll be OK if it feeds and chambers right. Pressure might also go down a little at the OAL you're using.

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 16 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
Lyman has 1.065" OAL, but you'll be OK if it feeds and chambers right. Pressure might also go down a little at the OAL you're using.

Really.... I will correct them tomorrow to 1.065
I got the 1.140 from my reload Dies Sheet(Lee)for 115 Plated.
Thank you. I love this site.
You think while I am down there I should jump to 20 @ 4.0 w/OAL 1.065 or wait?

Paul5388

Posted: April 16 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Wait, maybe forever. I don't use Titegroup, even though I have some on the shelf, it seems to do funny things real quickly.

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 17 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
Wait, maybe forever. I don't use Titegroup, even though I have some on the shelf, it seems to do funny things real quickly.

Ok I will wait. I only have ever used titegroup for lead so far and only about 400 rnds.

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions.
What do you think would be the perfect clean powder for these Jacketed HP's. It looks like I will be using these from now on, they ship quick, the price is right and it looks to be a fine product. I say clean because I had been using Win 231 w/lead. But the gun was just so dirty and hard to clean after a match. 150 rnds looked like 1500 rnds with out cleaning. One of the shooters mentioned Titegroup to be a cleaner product so that's the only reason I went with it.
What would be your #1 choice for powder for these ?

Paul5388

Posted: April 17 2012 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

One of our main functions is trying to answer questions. The 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook suggests a max load of 6.1 gr of SR 4756 (1284 fps) or 8.4 gr of Blue Dot (1339 fps) might be a good place to look. I don't seem to notice either powder to be especially dirty. The starting loads are 4.2 gr of SR 4756 (1005 fps) and 5.8 gr of Blue Dot (983 fps).

I tend to keep several pounds of each one in stock.

DaveAnt
Newcomer

Posted: April 18 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote DaveAnt

Paul5388 wrote:
One of our main functions is trying to answer questions. The 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook suggests a max load of 6.1 gr of SR 4756 (1284 fps) or 8.4 gr of Blue Dot (1339 fps) might be a good place to look. I don't seem to notice either powder to be especially dirty. The starting loads are 4.2 gr of SR 4756 (1005 fps) and 5.8 gr of Blue Dot (983 fps).

I tend to keep several pounds of each one in stock.

Holy crap!   I hope to have a set up like that one day!
Any special needs to keep powder over a long period of time?
I guess I have more books to buy.

NVcaster

Posted: April 18 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote NVcaster

Is this your reloading room or are you the local gun store?

Paul5388

Posted: April 18 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

It's just part of what I moved from my old reloading room/building. I don't take pictures of it now due to all of the stuff stacked on the floor. It's almost as bad as the old loading room.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version