Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
General Discussion
 Handloads.Com Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: First Test of Hodgdon CFE 223 - Beware Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TexIndian

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I've been running some ladder tests with a few powders in my GAP .308 Crusader, trying to develop the best accuracy load I can for it. One of the powders I tried this week was the new CFE 223 from Hodgdon and it gave me a some trouble with high pressures; in fact it was the worst pressure problems I've ever had with any load I've ever put together.

Using a Sierra MatchKing 168gr bullet, Hodgdon lists a minimum load of 46.6gr and a max of 49.0gr. I started at the minimum and added 0.3gr for each successive round until I got to 49.0, then I made up two more rounds with 0.2 more grains each. This is the same procedure I've used for every other powder in this gun. All tests have been run using virgin Lapua brass from the same lot, segregated by weight and neck wall variations. I have been using Federal 210 Match primers in my tests with this gun, but since CFE 223 is a ball powder, I also made up another series of rounds using a hotter primer, in this case CCI #34.

I started with the batch using the CCI primers. The velocities were pretty close to those listed in the Hodgdon data at first. As I got to within about half a grain of the max, the primers were starting to flatten out, but nothing extreme - no puckering around the firing pin or anything like that. I noticed that the gun was kicking like a mule, but I put this off to the higher velocities this powder is supposed to give - that and the fact I'd put quite a few rounds through a couple other .308 guns before I got to the GAP and I was getting a little tender in the shoulder.

After I fired the first round at 48.7gr (0.3 under the book max), the case didn't come flying out of the gun when I pulled the bolt back like it usually does. When I fished it out of the action I noticed it had blown the primer out - the first time I've ever had that happen, even counting the AR guns which are notorious for that with hot loads. Needless to say, I didn't fire any of the hotter rounds. I pulled the magazine out of the gun and the primer fell out onto the table.

Then I started on the rounds with the Federal primers. I didn't blow out any primers, but the round at 48.4gr showed a little sooting around the edge of the primer and the round at 48.7gr was even worse. Once again, I stopped at that point.

I've loaded a lot of rounds with a lot of powders over the years, more than I could even remember. Many of those loads were using 'military' cases like LC, IMI, and PMC - the ones where you're supposed to watch for high pressures near the max because of less case capacity. No matter what brand of case I've used, I've never had a powder that gave me pressure problems at the max book loads, much less under the max. The other powders I've tested in this gun have not shown any problems even when I went 0.4gr over the max (4064, 4895, Varget).

I guess I'll pull apart the 20-30 rounds I didn't shoot (I made more than one round at each weight) and start again using smaller increments and staying away from the max. Or I might just reserve this powder for use in the high-volume .223 guns - at medium charges.

I will say one thing about the CFE 223. It did have the higher velocities it advertises. It's hard to get the SMK 168s over 2800 fps with any other powder and I was getting speeds of 2890+ before I quit. If that means a lot to someone, this might be the powder to try. For me, I'm a little gun shy at the moment. A few extra fps isn't worth the worry to me.

Who me? A hoarder?
Back to Top View TexIndian's Profile Search for other posts by TexIndian

M700

Posted: April 20 2012 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote M700

Seems like your rifle's max load was below the book max.

That happens, and you've just posted a great illustration of why we work up our loads. Good info. How were the groups?
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

The_Shadow

Posted: April 20 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

TexIndian, I edited...Keep in mind I don't know squat about the gun you're using...

But after some looking you are talking about a bolt gun not an AR type.

Edited by The_Shadow on April 20 2012 at 6:44am

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

Slick

Posted: April 20 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Slick

The_Shadow wrote:
But after some looking you are talking about a bolt gun not an AR type.

The Crusader, is essentially a Remington 700 clone - built completely of top-shelf custom components.

I'm wondering if the hotter CCI #34 primers could (alone) be responsible for that much of a boost in pressure?
Back to Top View Slick's Profile Search for other posts by Slick

TexIndian

Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Slick, I had the same thought at first but I was getting hot with the Federal primers, too (and similar velocities). I've never had black rings of soot around a primer before, but I figured it was bad mojo. I'll try and post some pictures when I get a chance.

Guy, I know from measuring fired brass that this gun has a tighter chamber than my other .308 guns. But oddly, the other powders didn't show any pressure signs when I got up to the book max, even with another Hodgdon powder (Varget). Since I was running a ladder test, it's hard to say what the groups will be like. I will say I moved back to 400 yards because some of the patterns I was getting at 300 yards were all within a 3" circle even though each load had a different charge weight. That's one MOA or less using 10 different charges. The gun is a keeper.

It's been my experience that pressures (or at least velocities) are usually a little lower with virgin brass so I'm guessing the real max would be even lower with once-fired cases. I always figured some of the energy was being lost in stretching out the cases to fit the chamber.

Edited by TexIndian on April 20 2012 at 11:50am

Who me? A hoarder?

Matt_

Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Matt_

Slick wrote:
I'm wondering if the hotter CCI #34 primers
could (alone) be responsible for that much of a boost in
pressure?

The mag primer could certainly push Hodgdons published
load over the edge if it was developed using a standard
primer. I've got some older Lyman data that shows a mag
primer increasing pressure by 4,000 CUP. I know that
doesn't directly translate to PSI but it's reasonable to
assume a mag primer could increase a 60,000 PSI load
somewhere around 5,000 PSI.

The other big pressure increase in the Lyman test data is
cases which caused a 6,700 CUP jump. No telling what
cases Hodgdon used but they were unlikely to be Lapua.

My guess is Hodgdon took whatever components they used to
the limit to sell powder and the OPs components pushed it
over the edge. Looking at the other powders that have
worked OK their published loads aren't as close to max
pressure. They likely weren't developed with the same
components either.
Back to Top View Matt_'s Profile Search for other posts by Matt_

TexIndian

Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Matt, I went back to the Hodgdon website and couldn't find a description of what components or guns were used in their tests (it might be there but it's not right out front like many loading books). I've been told they used Federal cases.

But you're right about this combination putting things over the top. The Lapua brass is thicker than Federal or Winchester - about the same as LC. That probably was a factor as well as the #34 primers. The difference between the CCI and Federal primers might be what accounts for a blown primer as opposed to the sooted primers. I figure the sooted primers were just a hair away from blowing out. Another thing is that the CCI primers are harder and a little larger than the Federals - much harder to seat using my hand-priming tool. It took a lot to blow that thing out of there (actually, I guess it didn't really leave the primer pocket until I opened the bolt, but I'd bet there was some gas escaping when it was fired).

Edited by TexIndian on April 20 2012 at 11:47am

Who me? A hoarder?

TexIndian

Posted: April 20 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Here are some pictures, although it's hard to see the details without blowing them up too big for posting.

The group with CCI #34 primers - loads increase from left to right. I can make out extractor marks on the last fired load (48.7gr), about 6:00 on the upper round and 7:00 on the lower.

And the ones with Fed 210 primers. It's hard to see, but there are definite signs of soot on the next to last load and a complete ring of soot on the last one (on right). I also see a slight extractor mark about 4:00 on the last.

Who me? A hoarder?

The_Shadow

Posted: April 20 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote The_Shadow

I was looking over the Hodgdon 2012 Annual Manual and they show the same data that you posted; The 308 Winchester, case Winchester, twist 1:12", Barrel 24", trim 2.005", Primer federal210M using Sierra HPBT 168gr bullet, seated at 2.800" as S49.0 grains of CFE223 @ 2828 fps with a pressure of 60,400 psi (higest pressure of all loads listed)

Seeing how that is a very tighly regulated spec rifle, the pressures may be higher than a looser spec rifle and casing combination. That coupled with primers in different casings could possible account for extra pressure with this newer powder.

Good luck!

LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Menber
BASS Life Menber
Back to Top View The_Shadow's Profile Search for other posts by The_Shadow

TexIndian

Posted: April 20 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

I have some loads made from the same exact components for testing in a Savage 10FP, right down to the Win cases. I was dithering over whether to even shoot them, but I might just to see what difference there is.

One thing for sure - that Savage with its lightweight factory stock is gonna kick the devil out of me with these loads. It's going in the Lead Sled for sure. Even with 50 lbs of lead shot on board, that Savage has been beating me to death. I've become such a sissy in my advancing years.

Who me? A hoarder?

Ominivision1

Posted: April 20 2012 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Ominivision1

John, I'm willing to bet that the rifle has a tight chamber since your other guns didn't show this problem and hence the pressure spike.

..."When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

~Thomas Jefferson
Back to Top View Ominivision1's Profile Search for other posts by Ominivision1

TexIndian

Posted: April 20 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

L know it has a tighter chamber than everything except maybe the Savage. I've measured the fired cases and the neck and headspace are both smaller.

Who me? A hoarder?

Slick

Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Slick

TexIndian wrote:
I have some loads made from the same exact components for testing in a Savage 10FP, right down to the Win cases. I was dithering over whether to even shoot them, but I might just to see what difference there is.

I'd be interested in knowing the result of that.
Back to Top View Slick's Profile Search for other posts by Slick

drinks

Posted: April 21 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote drinks

The results, as far as accuracy, would cause me to back off to a comfortable powder level and enjoy the good shooting without the battered shoulder, then just adjust the seating depth for the most accurate depth and jump to the lands.
Just a lazy old man who does not try to get the last fps from a gun and load, in almost all cases it is not necessary.

Jammersix

Posted: April 21 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Jammersix

Thanks for the pictures.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen an over-pressure or a high-pressure
load in a 1911, so I'm also pretty sure that I've never seen a primer
showing signs of high-pressure.

Therefore, I read everything I can find and look at every picture I can
find to learn what high pressure looks like around the primer.
Back to Top View Jammersix's Profile Search for other posts by Jammersix

Paul5388

Posted: April 21 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

What I find strange about the pictures is the lack of cratering. There also isn't very much flattening of the primers. It certainly can't be argued that a primer blew out of the pocket, but I just don't see corresponding pressure signs in the other cases.

TexIndian

Posted: April 22 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote TexIndian

Drinks, I've never been one to fight for the last bit of velocity myself. Maybe that's why I've never seen these pressure signs before except in pictures. The pictures I posted don't really do justice to the soot or the extractors markings, either.

Remember, the rounds pictured are increasing left to right by 0.3gr each. I also fired 7 fouling rounds before I started the test (I cleaned the bore after the last powder). Those foulers were 48.5gr. or 0.2gr lower than the last round that blew the primer. They had somewhat flattened primers but no other signs. I had a better series of chrony readings on them and that's where I was getting 2890+ fps.

Who me? A hoarder?

NVcaster

Posted: May 14 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote NVcaster

I am interested in this powder but want to hear nore range reports. They always say approach the max with caution. If your getting over the maximum velocity (adjusting for barrel length) then you are probabaly overpressure. The chronograph is a must for a reloader.

Paul B.

Posted: May 15 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Paul B.

"Guy, I know from measuring fired brass that this gun has a tighter chamber than my other .308 guns. But oddly, the other powders didn't show any pressure signs when I got up to the book max, even with another Hodgdon powder"

Methinks there's your answer. I have several custom rifles built by the Harry Lawson Company here in Tucson and every one has a match grade barrel and chamber. Their metal man Joe is extremely anal about the quality of his work and if it's not as perfect as he can do it, you don't get it until it is.
I have several rifles in 7x57 mauser and several in the .308 Win.. The two that ae customs in those chambering show very high pressure with loads that are at or close to max in the factory chambered rifles.
I have to wonder if that powder is as close to W760/H414 as I think it might be. I have published data by Winchester for the .308 using w760 with a start load of 47.0 gr. for 2551 FPS at 46,400 C.U.P. and a max load of 49.0 gr. for 2640 FPS at 50,000 C.U.P. That max load has worked in at least 9 different factory chambered .308s wothout any problem but will lock up the bolt in my custom sporter tighter than a tick on a hound dog. However, the load is very accurate in the rifles that will acceopt it. Velocity from thr 18.5" barrel is 2550 FPS and from a rifle with 22" barrel 2610 FPS. The custom rile has a 23" barel and I think that if the load hadn't proved to be so hot that it might hav pushed somewhere around 2650 FPS to maybe quite close to 2700 FPS.
The same thing applied to my 3 7x57 rifles. The two factory rifles handled the max load without any heartburn but the custom locked up tigheter than a drum. I used W760 in those rifles as well and the two 22" barreled guns do 2800 FPS with the 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Dunno about the 23" custom.
However, as the 7x57 made it's original eputation with a 173/175 gr. round nose bullets, for spits and grins I used the charge in Winchester's loading booklet to duplicate the original load. The twy factory chambers did right at the expected 2300 FPS with very good accuracy. The custom rifle's veloocity was a full 110 FPS faster with the same charge and I don't think that because the barrel is a whole one inch longer explains all that velocity increase.
You did say your gun had a tight chamber and that is where I think your high pressure problem is coming from. Look on the bright side. You can probably reach the speed level you want using a bit less powder. can't be anything wrong with that.
Paul B.
Back to Top View Paul B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Paul B.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version