Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 7.62x40 WT first test Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ham Gunner

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Center top was my Son's first three shots out of the new barrel. Then he started adjusting the sights and got it centered. Load was 21.0gr. Win. 296, Rem 7 1/2, and Sierra 110gr. HP. Small target on upper right were then my first five shots and upper left were his next five shots. That load averaged 2,494 fps. with a standard deviation of about 40fps. which I can certainly tweek on down a bit with more test loads. This load was taken from Wilson's chart.

Using another bullet that I found in my stash, three more shots each on lower left were my Son's (the one was a called flyer so he shot another round to check the grouping) and lower right were mine(one hole was hit twice). (Speer 110gr. HP Varminter seated into the cannelure) I only had about a half a box and decided to compare it to the Wilson load. I used the same charge and primer but since the bullet shape is very blunt and a lot of soft lead exposed, we had to load singly into the chamber. It actually shot well and to the same point of aim, but can not be cycled through the magazine of course so we will just use them up loading singly for fun. They averaged 2,497fps and had a very good standard deviation of only 11.5 fps.

My Son only has vision in his left eye so he was shooting left handed. I think he can out shoot me these days.
Range was 60 yards.

Edited by Ham Gunner on May 14 2012 at 8:23am

Back to Top View Ham Gunner's Profile Search for other posts by Ham Gunner

Ham Gunner

Posted: May 19 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

Fired some more today and fired the same charge of powder with another box of old bullets that I had on hand. Win. 110gr. PSP. They gave about identical point of impact as the other two bullets tried last week.

My Son worked his magazines over just a bit with a file and they worked better. The ribs on either side of the magazine about where the shoulder of the .223 case meets the neck have to be filed down some. Apparently the ribs help prevent the .223 bullet from working too far forward in the magazine under recoil or something.

The 30 rd magazines worked perfect after they reached the 20 round mark, but he will have to still remove a bit more from the bottom of the magazines down where the bullets rub when 30 rds are loaded since he had only filed down the top half of the magazine's side ribs. It does not take all that much, but it apparently must be altered a bit all the way to the bottom.

Edited by Ham Gunner on May 19 2012 at 5:24pm

M700

Posted: May 19 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote M700

Interesting cartridge, and I'm not at all familiar with it.

Thanks for the report - it certainly seems capable of more than acceptable accuracy.

I use those 110 gr Sierra HP's for varmint shooting with my .308 Win.
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

50DEP

Posted: June 01 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote 50DEP

I cant get the 110's to group well enough to shoot barn walls in my 308Win rem 700 Varm. lucky you M700. =)
Is this cartridge the close cousin of the 300BO?

JoeJack

Posted: June 01 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote JoeJack

Nice groups. Especially upper right & left.
Back to Top View JoeJack's Profile Search for other posts by JoeJack

Ham Gunner

Posted: June 01 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Ham Gunner

50DEP wrote:
Is this cartridge the close cousin of the 300BO?

This one has a few millimeters longer case than the Black Out. It is not really intended to be shot sub sonic, although with a very fast twist and probably 220gr. bullets it could go sub sonic.

This case is made by only trimming off the neck of the .223 case at the shoulder and then just sizing through a full length sizing die. I understand that the Black Out is cut off at about the rear of the shoulder.

We have found that cycling is very critical of the amount of gas pressure from the gas port and with too fast a powder, it sometimes can cause a short stroke from too small amount of gas impulse and failure to pick up the next round.

At first, we thought it was the reported magazine problems, but now, I feel that getting the proper gas pressure at the port is mostly the problem that others have been blaming on the magazines. We are planning on sticking to 125-130gr. bullets, so our powder will change from 296 with the 110gr. to probably 1680 with the heavier bullets and the rifle reportedly cycles well with that powder bullet combination.

It shows promise of great accuracy as we have really not worked up any load for it, but only used the recommended load from Wilson and it did shoot great. I suspect that when all is said and done after I set down and work of the exact load for this rifle, that it will be a great shooting little booger. Should smack a deer about like a 30-30.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version