Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Handguns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Handguns
Subject Topic: 44 Special loads for Bulldog Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rec395
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: August 28 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote rec395

Does anyone have any load data for Sierra's 44 cal 165 gr. Sportsmaster bullet, 44 Special in 3" Charter Arms Bulldog?

Paul5388

Posted: August 28 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Welcome to the forum Ron!

The Charter Bulldog loads will depend a lot on the age of the gun. There have been several incarnations for the Bulldog and some of them aren't too good.

We also need to know what powders and primers you have available for the project, since that will also be a factor in the loads.

gstanfield

Posted: August 28 2012 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

I've been playing with IMR TrailBoss powder in 44 special the last couple of weeks and I'm liking it. The loads are low enough to be safe in pretty much any gun and the accuracy is not bad either.

Do you already have a powder preference or intended use?

~Shane
Back to Top View gstanfield's Profile Search for other posts by gstanfield

rec395
Newcomer

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote rec395

I bought this gun in the mid 70's, mostly loaded 200 gr JHPs and lyman hand cast 215gr w/gc. Powders I have on hand include Red Dot, Universal, HS-6, Unique and 700X. I have always liked Unique. Primers on hand include Remington 2 1/2 and CCI 300, with that light of a bullet and short barrel, kind of leaning towards Red Dot.

gstanfield

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

Is this a discontinued bullet? I checked on Sierra's website and the lightest they list is a 180 in this caliber?

I forgot my manners earlier, WELCOME to the forum

With that said, I've dug through a half dozen manuals and only found data for that weight bullet in cast loads. I'll keep a diggin and see what I can find.

~Shane

Paul5388

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

OK, here's Hodgdon's recommendations for Universal.
Quote:
165 GR. CAST LRNFP      Hodgdon      Universal      .430"      1.365" OAL      5.5 gr      851 fps      5,700 CUP

You'll note it's only .7 gr more than Trailboss and 5000 cup less pressure than Trailboss at about the same velocity. The older Bulldog could probably stand a higher velocity load, but this low pressure one will make it last longer. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp All of Hodgdon's lighter bullet loads for .44 Special use lead bullets. Alliant doesn't show any loads with less than 200 gr bullets.

gstanfield

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

Just be aware that's a cast bullet load and a jacketed bullet will develop more pressure with the same amount of powder

~Shane

Paul5388

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Lyman 48th edition says a 180 gr JHC can be loaded with 6.4 gr of Red Dot for 793 fps and 11,600 cup with 7.1 gr for 850 fps it's 13,700 cup. Either load should work with a 165 gr jacketed bullet.

rec395
Newcomer

Posted: August 28 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote rec395

I just ordered this bullet from Midway this morning, I noticed it was not listed on Sierra's website, so I called them. They told me it was a one time run that they sold to Midway???, and they had no load data for it???. Kind of a strange reply! That is why I am here. Thank you all for your help!

gstanfield

Posted: August 28 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

I did find that those bullet were originally made for Corbon according to a "Team Corbon" rep that answered a question about them on another forum. It was a factory loading designed to get more velocity from the 44 special.

Paul wrote:
Lyman 48th edition says a 180 gr JHC can be loaded with 6.4 gr of Red Dot for 793 fps and 11,600 cup with 7.1 gr for 850 fps it's 13,700 cup. Either load should work with a 165 gr jacketed bullet.

I agree with Paul 100% on this, in one of my many manuals they actualy state that if you must use cast data for jacketed bullets use data for a heavier cast bullet and you should be good. I can't remember the exact % they recommend or even which manual it came from as I have many, but this should be well within the safe limits.

~Shane

Paul5388

Posted: August 28 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

That 180 gr is a jacketed bullet, so the data should be safe with a lighter jacketed bullet.

joed

Posted: August 28 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote joed

They aren't lying that not all Bulldogs are created equal.   I bought one new in 2005 and got rid of it after firing 50 rounds.

Here's a link to an archived post from some of the older members and it is a pretty good read with lots of info.   It got me into the Bulldog pen, unfortunately mine was junk.

Getting the Bulldogs out

And by the way, welcome to the forum.
Back to Top View joed's Profile Search for other posts by joed

gstanfield

Posted: August 28 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote gstanfield

Paul5388 wrote:
That 180 gr is a jacketed bullet, so the data should be safe with a lighter jacketed bullet.

Gotcha, I thought I misread that. Still, it would have been valid either way I think

~Shane

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version