Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Long Guns
 Handloads.Com Forum : Long Guns
Subject Topic: 338-06 AI Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RetirednPoor
Newcomer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November 10 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote RetirednPoor

I would like to know if anyone has experience in loading squib loads to fire-form brass, lead, jacketed or whatever. I have a 338-06 Ackley Improved custom rifle I had made two years before the 338 Federal came out.
Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by RetirednPoor on November 10 2012 at 4:39pm
Back to Top View RetirednPoor's Profile Search for other posts by RetirednPoor

doghawg

Posted: November 11 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

I had my .338/06 Ackley 40 degree built about 25 years ago on a Whitworth action and with a 23" Douglas barrel. I started out with Unique in 30/06 brass(can't remember the charge) under cream of wheat and topped with a wad of tissue and though it was a royal PITA ended up with usable cases. Also tried just running an '06 case through the .338/06 AI sizer. That might have worked better with a tapered expander ball but I ended up with lopsided case necks. Again, usable but not perfect. Finally, I spotted a bag of .35 Whelen brass at a gun show. I sized the neck just enough so the case would chamber and topped it off with a starting charge of H4895 under a Hornady 200 gr. Spire Pt. That fireforming load would clock around 2500 fps and shot very well.
The heavy load ended up being the 225 gr. Hornady Spire over enough H414 to clock 2650 fps. I suggest caution in working up loads. I ended up with some very high Chrony numbers with some loads and realised the AI wasn't exhibiting any of the classic signs of high pressure. Whether that's because of the minumal body taper or the custom chamber or what else I can't say. Case life has been very good and cases don't seem to require trimming very often.
I pulled the old girl out last night. Haven't used it much in the last few years and am thinking opening day (Saturday) of the Wisc. gun deer season might be a good time to blow the cobwebs out of the barrel.
Hope some of this rambling helps you.

Randy

Paul5388

Posted: November 11 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

Just fire a .338-06 in the AI chamber. That's the way all AIs are supposed to work, i.e. fire a factory round to fire form to AI.

doghawg

Posted: November 12 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Paul

I've never fired a factory .338/06 in my AI chamber and at $84.95 a box (Midway) probably never will.

Paul5388

Posted: November 12 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Paul5388

It doesn't have to be actual factory, just full power loads. The AI was designed to be able to utilize factory loads, if AI loads weren't available. That gives a sure enough fire form that reduced loads don't always provide.

I would probably be tempted to use .30-06 and fire form them. The shoulder is where it head spaces and the smaller bullet surely wouldn't be any sort of bore obstruction. I have shot .30-30 out of a .38-55 to fire form, but I did use a lead bullet for the task.

doghawg

Posted: November 13 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote doghawg

Paul

I'm operating from memory on my .338/06 AI sizing adventures. It was years ago that I settled on the Whelen case. To edit my above post the fire forming load was 53 gr. of IMR 4320 under a 200 gr. spire point. By sizing the Whelen case down to .338 just far enough to allow chambering I was getting concentric brass with no chance of any headspace problems. I had to struggle to match the accuracy of the fireforming loads with formed cases. Along with being quick and easy, using the Whelen brass meant no wasted components. The fireforming loads made fine hunting ammo.

Retired and poor....I don't mean to hijack your thread but the .338/06 AI brings back a lot of memories...
Here's a pic of a much younger doghawg (1986) with the first critter I shot with the gun. I used a case full of 4350 under a 200 gr. Speer on this one.

Randy

M700

Posted: November 13 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote M700

Randy - that's a fine looking big game cartridge that has obviously served you well over the years. Even the standard .338-06 has a stellar reputation, the AI version must be even better.

No, I don't have one, just a long time admiration for the cartridge.

Thanks for the photos & info.

Guy
Back to Top View M700's Profile Search for other posts by M700

map190
Newcomer

Posted: November 13 2012 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote map190

This is my first post anywhere but I just finished fire-forming some 338-06 brass using Remington 30-06 cases.
     I used a 338 Hornady universal neck size die to expand the neck then inserted a primer and 14 grains of Bullseye. I filled the case to the bottom of the neck on top of the Bullseye powder with cream of wheat and packed in some Kleenex rather tightly to hold everything in. Go to the range and fire them. The result is a perfectly sized case. Neck size again and you're ready to reload.
     I have done this without neck sizing first with a 35 Whelen AI with good results.
Back to Top View map190's Profile Search for other posts by map190

doghawg

Posted: November 14 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote doghawg

map190

Welcome to the forum! With 14 gr. of bullroar I don't doubt you're getting well filled out cases. I know the cream of wheat process works but it's been a long time and I can't remember what it was about it that made me give it up. Maybe the it was the paper tatters or the build up in the rifling...can't remember. I couldn't make up my mind between the .33 or the .35 when I had mine built. You made the right choice...get both!

Randy

RetirednPoor
Newcomer

Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote RetirednPoor

I've received excellent information and great photos. Seems like I picked a good old cartridge. I should have been a bit more specific. Rifle is 24" and 1 in 10. My intent is to use a Lyman 220 gr cast bullet (Linotype) for the fire forming. I've already prepped/sized 150 30-06 cases to 338-06. It will be a long day or three at the range. I'll post some pics when done. Thanks again.javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')
Back to Top View RetirednPoor's Profile Search for other posts by RetirednPoor

richhodg66

Posted: November 17 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

What are you going to hunt with the rifle? You may want to stick with cast loads anyway, seems like a 220 grain flat nose bullet at the velocities you can attain with good accuracy in that rifle will easily be enough for whitetails.

I got a .35 Whelen a while back and the project has stalled, but I plan to use it for exactly that when I get back to it.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version