Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc
Black powder and Muzzleloading
 Handloads.Com Forum : Black powder and Muzzleloading
Subject Topic: Well, now I’ve done it Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wolfdog

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2016 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

So, I had wanted to try it out..and I went to Armslist, and found a guy with an older TC renegade for sale. I texted him and while it does have some minor pitting at the end of the barrel, he insisted it shot quite good groups. I know I shouldn't have, but I got it. So..in the mail as we speak is a TC renegade 50 cal (like a hawken only everything is blued), patches, pillow ticking, balls, nipple pick, nipple wrench, prelubed patches, powder flaskes, measurers and a few other odds and ends. It came with a scope and rings, but those will be taken off as soon as it arrives. Guess there's no time like now to start seeing how I like this black powder thing. Even with the minor pitting, 365 seemed like a great deal for all of that. Hope I didn't make a horrible error.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 31 2016 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well done!

Master that one and before you know it you'll be buying other barrels and shooting other calibers as the TC systems are simple drop-ins!

Again, well played!
Proud of ya.

Monte Walsh
Back to Top View Old Ranger's Profile Search for other posts by Old Ranger

wolfdog

Posted: July 31 2016 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

No, the TC renegade isn't part of the contender/encore line. It's a stand alone muzzle loader, 1:48 twist, percussion, 50 cal, just like a hawken with the set triggers only it's all blued furniture.

richhodg66

Posted: July 31 2016 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I bet a lot of TC muzzle loader barrels will interchange with it. The main one I use was imported by Investarms, but it's the same rifle sold as the Cabela's Hawken now. Made in Italy by someone, no idea who. Good rifle and the bore is chromed apparently, but otherwise pretty traditional. I use a long .50 caliber barrel I had set up with XS ghost ring and post and it shoots well, but I also have a short, .54 barrel I have used on one small buck. Takes about 30 seconds to change barrels.

Muzzle loaders are fun. You'll like it. If you're not opposed to conicals, the Lyman Plains Bullet is great. The Lee REAL is good, but I've never used it on game.

Old Ranger

Posted: July 31 2016 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Green River barrels make some that are drop-in for TC's. Measure the barrel across the flats for correct fit.
Take a peek at Track of the Wolf for them....

Monte Walsh

wolfdog

Posted: August 01 2016 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

I don't think I'm going to be changing out bbls too soon, the seller claims he fire lapped the barrel and that there is only very minor pitting left. I'll shoot the gun first, if it's getting 1.5" at 100 yards like he claims, it'll be staying on there a while. :)

Old Ranger

Posted: August 01 2016 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Don't sweat minor pitting. My old 1860 Gallagher carbine had pits and such as big as .35" across and some as deep as .125" and it shot great. You'll be fine.

Monte Walsh

LAH

Posted: August 02 2016 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote LAH

Love shooting those front loaders.

Old Ranger

Posted: August 03 2016 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Well I was supposed to go to Tyler (40 mi trip) for lab stuff at the VA clinic there but the old "rez-rocket" I drive had the brake pedal going to the floor. So I canceled and stayed home.

Was still cool outside so I grabbed my .50cal Hawken and punched some patched lead at the 10x10 iron at 100yds. 4 outta 5 rang out well. I clipped the bottom on the first shot. Forgot I was zeroed for a lighter load and that first one was 5" low! Dooah! A little elevation correction and back on target.

See, Wolfdog got me all inspired to shoot my old shoulder cannon again. And 70gr volume of American Pioneer Powder 2F was smooooth!

Monte Walsh

wolfdog

Posted: August 03 2016 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Well, the gun came in and it is well built, impressive and heavy as sin, lol, about nine and a half pounds, after I took off the scope. The ram rod is wooden and showing wear, will have to replace that soon, and get some pyrodex 2f equivalent. And some lube for my pillow ticking (guy said came with 200 patches, should have said 50 patches and a bedsheet, lol) I will buy a ball puller as well, but other than that, this sucker looks fun. Previous owner claimed 1.5" 100 yard groups with 100grns of pyro and the included balls and patch, I'm thinking 80grns should give me an idea of what this is capable of, and be fine for anything on four legs, any reason to push for 100 grns, most of my reading shows hunting loads of 70-80grns giving a good combination of power and accuracy?

richhodg66

Posted: August 04 2016 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

I've very, very rarely had to workm a ball out of a gun. If you get a misfire, you can almost always get it to go off with some time and patience. One of the CO2 discharge things would be a better investment.

Best to avoid that possibility. When I first started muzzle loader hunting, the learning curve was steep. I read an article by Sam Fadala in an old Hogdon manual on how to load them and be weather proof. Good to learn before going hunting.

Step one, get a "Hot SHot" or one of the other after market nipples with a bigger aperture.

Step two, always make sure the gun is dry and oil free.

Step three, pop at least a half dozen caps on it empty while holding the muzzle next to loose grass or something that will tell you the fire is coming through. It will give enough blast out the muzzle to be able to tell. If the loose grass doesn't move, you have a blockage and need to clean something. Busting a lot of caps will also make sure everything is completely dry and oil free.

Step four, load the gun inside under a roof if there's any precipitation at all(seems to always rain during our ML season).

Step five, when you charge the rifle, tap lightly a lot and hold the rifle with the lock down to make sure the drum gets fill with the powder.

Step six, put a square inch or so of Saran wrap between the ball and the powder to keep bullet lube from contaminating powder. Burns up completely and affects nothing, and if it's warm enough to melt bullet lube (muzzle loader lubes are soft generally and our season is in September while it's warm).

Step seven, ram the ball (you'll want a good ball starter), but don't pound on the rod like I see so many guys do at the range. A steady, hard push down on it is what you want. I've read 80 pounds of pressure is what you want, not sure I exert that much but you get the idea.

Optional, but if a hunt depends on it, I carefully pull the nipple and make sure that drum is completely full of powder under the nipple.

Step 8, get some of these little neoprene things that go over the cap that both holds the cap on the nipple and seals things up a bit so light rain of dew doesn't get in. Either CVA or Traditions used to sell them, but they are simply neoprene hose of 1/16" inside diameter cut in about 1/8" lengths.

Optional, but if I know it's gonna rain while I'm out, I'll take about a three inch square of Saran wrap and rubber band a piece over the muzzle making sure it doesn't obscure the front sight to ensure no water runs down the muzzle.

I usually carry a piece of that same plastic wrap so while I'm on stand, I can cock the hammer, wrap it around the rifle where the lock is and then lower the hammer. It keeps things dry, and if you do it right, doesn't make enough resistance to keep the hammer from setting things off, again, be careful that it doesn't obscure your sights.

This may sound like a lot of trouble, but takes less time than it took you to read this, and with a Hawken loaded like this, I have sat on a stand a few times for several hours during a driving rain with no problems when it came time to shoot. Misfires really suck, and they would suck even worse if it happened when a buck was in your sights.

richhodg66

Posted: August 04 2016 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Hunting with a muzzle loader is very rewarding. Especially if your state has a special season, almost nobody on public land.

Edited by richhodg66 on August 04 2016 at 6:20pm

safari100

Posted: August 04 2016 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

You will appreciate that 9 pound gun once you shoot a string.

richhodg66

Posted: August 05 2016 at 3:59am | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

If you use heavy conicals and a lot of powder like I do when I hunt with mine, yes you will. I used the same rifle and load on all three of those bucks and recoil from a bench is stout. It's unnecessarily powerful, but shoots well and puts them down pretty decisively.

Old Ranger

Posted: August 05 2016 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Zowie!
That's a lot of weatherproofing there RIch! I bet you never have a misfire huh? Guess I'm just too old school. With a percussion weapon a couple drops of melted beeswax over the cap was ok. I'd use a Bic lighter to melt the wax so it would drop onto the cap either with a rifle or with my C&B revolvers.

I built a leather cover for the lock on my flinters that was set up with a slide for the cover to remain over the lock until I pushed it away to shoot. It would then expose the frizzen and pan for shopoting. Otherwise the entire lock was covered by semi stiff leather to keep the water away from the parts. The guy that bought my flinter rifle got that cover and said he'd try if come hunting season. I suppose it wasn't perfect but functioned well enough for this old goat.

Monte Walsh

Old Ranger

Posted: August 05 2016 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Old Ranger

Wolfdog, for reasons known only to my smartass phone, it's now crapping out on me with the pm business. I've got no WiFi or even dialup for a computer. Just this screwed up stinking phone. I had a massive reply for you but the phone ate it! It took all the restraint I had not to throw the phone through a wall....

Please e-mail or call.

Monte Walsh

wolfdog

Posted: August 05 2016 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Will do soon, I'm at work currently.
Eldorisgardner@hotmail.com is my email if
that works for now.

wolfdog

Posted: August 07 2016 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote wolfdog

Well, not a great day, but not bad. I'm getting about 3" at 100 yards, but it seems the gun gets dirty fast and it goes from groups to off paper. I'm using prelubed bore butter patches, I get 3-5 shots, then I have to take a wire brush and mop between shots. Also, set trigger has stopped working completely. I've taken the gun apart and cleaned everything, I've put the set screw all the way in, all the way out and everywhere in between. It's stopping about 1/16th inch before the nipple every single time, just started doing it and now I'm kinda confused. Anyway, here's a couple pics of a good group, as well as the gun itself. I'll do better, one issue at a time. :)

richhodg66

Posted: August 07 2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote richhodg66

Three inch groups with open sights would be good enough for me. I'd look around for a peep sight if it were mine.

Cleaning fairly often is a fact of life for best accuracy, but I never hunt with a clean bore, always fire a fouling shot before loading for a hunt. First shot from a clean bore always goes pretty wild in mine, but it settles down after that first one.

safari100

Posted: August 07 2016 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote safari100

That is a nice group with patch and ball. Shooting BP cleaning is a must. I shoot two shot groups and range clean. Solvent with patch/jag, brush, dry with patch/jag. No one ever said muzzle loaders were a fast evolution hobby. Have fun.

Home | Load data | Articles | Ballistic Calc | Energy Calc

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version